SteveA

MLB Officially Announces Rule Changes

So designating a guy a 2 way player (like Ohtani) has positive and negative aspects:

Positive:  You can get around the 13 pitcher limit by having 13 pitchers plus one or more 2-way players.

Negative:  A player designated a 2 way player stays that way all season and if he ever goes on the DL (or is optioned), the minimum stay is 15 days rather than 10.

I asked this on Twitter, but what's the rule if a pitcher comes in and gets the last out of an inning (one batter faced), and then starts the next inning? Is he required to face two more batters, or can he be taken out at any time because he finished the previous inning? Anyone know?

16 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I asked this on Twitter, but what's the rule if a pitcher comes in and gets the last out of an inning (one batter faced), and then starts the next inning? Is he required to face two more batters, or can he be taken out at any time because he finished the previous inning? Anyone know?

Seems pretty clear.  He has to stay in until he has faced 3 batters or until the end of the inning.  So once the inning ends the requirement has been fulfilled.  He can be relieved.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Here's an interesting variation on that ... Suppose it is a N.L. game - said pitcher comes in and retires the last batter.  The pitcher happens to be the leadoff hitter in the next inning.  Even though he only faced one batter, would you want to legislate away his manager's option to pinch-hit for him?

I would think that once the side has been retired, that should complete the pitcher's obligation for batters faced.

• Upvote 1

I’ll be curious to see how many relievers get “injured” before they face three batters once the matchups are no longer in their favor. I expect there might be a few more blisters or ankle sprains than normal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Philip said:

In other news, MLB officially announces that Manfred is an idiot.

Manfraud is the biggest of idiots. Glad Bauer spazzed on his goofy self.

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

So designating a guy a 2 way player (like Ohtani) has positive and negative aspects:

Positive:  You can get around the 13 pitcher limit by having 13 pitchers plus one or more 2-way players.

Negative:  A player designated a 2 way player stays that way all season and if he ever goes on the DL (or is optioned), the minimum stay is 15 days rather than 10.

Ohtani will probably be the only two-way player for a long time.

5 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I’ll be curious to see how many relievers get “injured” before they face three batters once the matchups are no longer in their favor. I expect there might be a few more blisters or ankle sprains than normal. 

If there's more than one or two they'll just clarify the rule that says you have to go on the DL (sorry, IL) if you come out for injury.