Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eddie83

JJ Hardy is back!

Recommended Posts

That makes a lot of sense considering that Elias really values shortstops and JJ is someone who experienced the playoffs with the O's and isn't too far from the guys in age. It's weird talking about Hardy in the past tense like this though. I liked JJ. I give Buck and Duquette their due but Andy MacPhail made some shrewd trades Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey for Hardy and Brendan Harris was one of those. Plus you had to like JJ the man himself. Great move on the FO's part to bring back some old names that the guys who would know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

That makes a lot of sense considering that Elias really values shortstops and JJ is someone who experienced the playoffs with the O's and isn't too far from the guys in age. It's weird talking about Hardy in the past tense like this though. I liked JJ. I give Buck and Duquette their due but Andy MacPhail made some shrewd trades Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey for Hardy and Brendan Harris was one of those. Plus you had to like JJ the man himself. Great move on the FO's part to bring back some old names that the guys who would know.

And their due includes signing JJ to that second extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And their due includes signing JJ to that second extension.

I'm not saying that tehy didn't make mistakes Corn but a single  person that was responsible for the 2012-16 run. Yeah the Hardy extension was a mistake but trading for him originally was not. I was just saying that I think MacPhail by trading for Hardy deserves credit because the two guys we traded him for were relievers. Hardy gave us some good years. I'll be the first to agree with you that the extension was a mistake. There were a lot of mistakes made then which is why we are where we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I'm not saying that tehy didn't make mistakes Corn but a single  person that was responsible for the 2012-16 run. Yeah the Hardy extension was a mistake but trading for him originally was not. I was just saying that I think MacPhail by trading for Hardy deserves credit because the two guys we traded him for were relievers. Hardy gave us some good years. I'll be the first to agree with you that the extension was a mistake. There were a lot of mistakes made then which is why we are where we are.

Not only was the trade brilliant, the first extension (also by MacPhail) was equally brilliant.    I favored the second extension (by Duquette) too, and that didn’t work out but I still feel it was the right call at the time.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, eddie83 said:

More info. McGregor and Bordick are already there. 

 

From Conine’s interview yesterday:

“You know what? I loved Baltimore,” he said. “I remember every time we broke camp and we’d go up, right before opening day, we went to the ballpark and set up the lockers. I remember going out at night and looking at Camden Yards with my dress clothes that I had worn up from spring training, and just a happy place. I really enjoyed all my time in Baltimore.

“Those days, getting to play with Cal (Ripken) and Brady (Anderson) and Mike (Bordick) and B-Rob (Brian Roberts) and all those guys, it was a fun time for me and we had great teams and a great atmosphere at Camden Yards. When anybody ever asks me my favorite place I ever played, I always say that. I say Camden Yards is my favorite.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/02/sisco-on-revamped-hitting-approach-conine-on-new-role-with-orioles.html

Great atmosphere at Camden Yards?    Sure.    “We had great teams?”    Not so much.   78, 74, 63, 67, 71 and 70 wins in 1999-2003 and 2006, Conine’s years with the team.    But he was a solid ballplayer.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, scOtt said:

His "era" being 2 good weeks in October 1983?

The Best Oriole Catcher of all time.

Even made the MLB top 50 list of all-time catchers, not shabby for a great defender and weak bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...