Eric-OH

2/16 Spring Training Notebook-Position Player Check-In Day (Will be updated throughout the day)

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

1e27bc8ffcef5fde68774b620ebe651f5724f737

It does look like Davis has put on some muscle though!  He's such a goof!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Adley was a kicker in college right and Cervenka had "football" as his primary sport at one time I am sure.  😍  Loved the updates, so upbeat and calming before the storm of the leadup to the games and then their fallout.

Adley kicked a 63 yard field goal in high school. To win the championship game iirc. There's video on youboob.

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

It does look like Davis has put on some muscle though!  He's such a goof!

It's from lifting weights. Low weight, high reps. 12 ounces at a time.

13 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Adley kicked a 63 yard field goal in high school. To win the championship game iirc. There's video on youboob.

It isn't four touchdowns.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Adley was a kicker in college right and Cervenka had "football" as his primary sport at one time I am sure.  😍  Loved the updates, so upbeat and calming before the storm of the leadup to the games and then their fallout.

I’m glad to let you guys know what’s happening and what I see.  The catchers playing football was worth sharing and maybe you’re right about Cervenka who looks like he got younger in the last year somehow.  
There is a reason to be upbeat and it’s not the mlb winning percentage right now.  I’m calm because as a fan I know the work is being done from the bottom up and the talent is truly ‘on the rise’. Now that I’m seeing it in person, I’m even more confident.  
Like today.....through a fence and a cage I saw Adley hit for the first time ever.  To put it bluntly, it was really really good.  It may take a while but there will be victories that don’t show up in the standings. I’m ok with that.  I’m glad to have your feedback and spring is always fun no matter what.

Tomorrow is full squad day 1 and I’m pumped to see the whole team for the first time in 2020.  If you’re an O’s fan you should be too!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

It's from lifting weights. Low weight, high reps. 12 ounces at a time.

I was wondering how you had as much definition as Tanner!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

I was wondering how you had as much definition as Tanner!

I know that workout quite well! :D

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Davis knows he's not going to get better and no arriving early to camp or changing his swing in the offseason is going to help. He's here to collect a paycheck.

I believe you're probably right, but have you heard something to this effect from someone in the know?

7 hours ago, section18 said:

Are you giving another update today Eric ? Now I'm getting interested in his arrival time. It's going on 3 PM. I think he lives in Texas. If he's driving it's not that far. Maybe he's there and negotiating a buyout with Elias at a private location. Maybe he got so big they don't have a uniform big enough for him. Hmmmm!  Just a little humor.

He does live in TX but I’m pretty sure like most Orioles’ fans, no one here would miss him either.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sometimes people talk to their wives and get great advice that really focuses them on what's important, sometimes you decide collecting a pay check is the most important thing despite having enough money to live of for three generations. Sorry. I don't buy this is anything but a money grab. This is a guy who has convinced himself that he was "underpaid" during his big years so he's just collecting now.  He has no role on a rebuilding team or really any major league team. 

In his last two seasons he's slashed an embarrassing .172/.256/.308/.564 over 874 PAs. His legacy will not be the guy once know as Crush to Orioles fans, but one of a guy who was paid a ridiculous contract by a frail old owner and who has done nothing but embarrass himself on the field since.

Walking away was the only thing he had left to save some type or f grace or legacy.

Still - this is the first he's openly mentioned considering it. So we at least know it's on his mind, where previously we figured he would never consider it. 

What I don't like is the position it puts Elias in. But hopefully they've had some kind of talk about this. I think it's clear this is his last year to show something. But then it's a staring match at the end of the year to see who blinks first between Davis retiring and Elias releasing him. That's... not great.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Still - this is the first he's openly mentioned considering it. So we at least know it's on his mind, where previously we figured he would never consider it. 

What I don't like is the position it puts Elias in. But hopefully they've had some kind of talk about this. I think it's clear this is his last year to show something. But then it's a staring match at the end of the year to see who blinks first between Davis retiring and Elias releasing him. That's... not great.

I'd be surprised if Davis does anything but collect every cent of his ridiculous contract. No matter what he says, it's clear that it's his motivation since anyone would see their performance over the last two years and realize it's time to retire.

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd be surprised if Davis does anything but collect every cent of his ridiculous contract. No matter what he says, it's clear that it's his motivation since anyone would see their performance over the last two years and realize it's time to retire.

Sure. But why say anything about it then? Why not just come in and say "I've never thought about quitting, I know I can still do this, etc." Why even mention this being unfair to the fans and everything else? Just because we assume he's all talk? I certainly do understand that view. But I think he could have easily just said "no" when the reporter asked if he ever thought about walking away. 

My bold prediction:  one way or another, this will be CD's last spring training with the Orioles.  

Most likely case #1:  He has a small bounce back to start the season, but over the course of the long season he turns in another awful campeign.  Hangs it up.

Case #2 - He has an awful start, and is released or quits before the all-star break

Case #3 - He regains some confidence with is refund strength.  Does just enough to merit a trade at the deadline, with the O's picking up 75% of the rest of his contact,