Sign in to follow this  
Eric-OH

Manfred Likes The O’s Future

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

Like I said before this resembles the Ray Rice situation.  Ray Rice got a slap on the wrist and then the whole thing blew up and then the commissioner basically suspended him forever.  The Astro pllayers didn't even get a slap on the wrist.  He either needs to say whoops new evidence was found and suspends some players or he is going to be fired.  This won't die down until either one of those happens.  He is going to start suspending players who throw at Astro players?   How is that going to work out.  Multiple brawls.  The thing is spiraling totally out of control.  

I think the Clippers / Donald Sterling debacle is a better analogy. Contrary to what ownership is willing to admit to it's pretty clear to they were well aware. If Jim Crane had truly been unaware then there would be no reason for him to be defensive in interviews. The arrogance with which this team has treated this situation, the Detroit reporter situation, the female reporter situation is staggering. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s going nowhere.   

At a certain point they have to get rid of him. I said this with the original punishment came down that it was way too light and you disagreed with me.  You even started a poll to try and make it seem you were correct You were clearly wrong as it certainly has turned into a total fiasco. 

For the league to not have all sorts of brawls and for the game to get beyond this he will be let go. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think the Clippers / Donald Sterling debacle is a better analogy. Contrary to what ownership is willing to admit to it's pretty clear to they were well aware. If Jim Crane had truly been unaware then there would be no reason for him to be defensive in interviews. The arrogance with which this team has treated this situation, the Detroit reporter situation, the female reporter situation is staggering. 

Did Don Sterling originally get a slap on the wrist?  This is about the players not getting punishment at this point.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

At a certain point they have to get rid of him. I said this with the original punishment came down that it was way too light and you disagreed with me.  You even started a poll to try and make it seem you were correct You were clearly wrong as it certainly has turned into a total fiasco. 

For the league to not have all sorts of brawls and for the game to get beyond this he will be let go. 

The poll showed the majority agreed with me.     But there isn’t “right” or “wrong” here, it is a matter of opinion.   

Please show me some evidence that the owners are thinking of getting rid of Manfred.    In fact, give me a list of owners who are reported to have questioned Manfred’s punishment of the Astros.    Or, any articles that suggest an owner has criticized the punishment even on an anonymous basis.     Because I’ve seen nothing of the kind.    Manfred’s contract, which was approved unanimously by the owners after the 2018 season, runs through 2024.     I don’t see the owners doing anything with him.

Regarding his comments on the O's, they were exactly what I would expect from the Commish of MLB up until the day that there is a decision to move the Orioles. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You guys are hilarious.    The minute they start playing games in 2020, this topic will be off the front pages.    Right now it’s filling a vacuum.     And there’s no way Manfred is getting fired over this.    

I don't think it's going to go away. It's going to be great sports talk material, especially in July/August when they don't have the NBA/NFL/NHL to talk about.

But, I agree with you - Manfred isn't getting fired over this. If anything, the owners like him more because he covered for Jim Crane.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The poll showed the majority agreed with me.     But there isn’t “right” or “wrong” here, it is a matter of opinion.   

Please show me some evidence that the owners are thinking of getting rid of Manfred.    In fact, give me a list of owners who are reported to have questioned Manfred’s punishment of the Astros.    Or, any articles that suggest an owner has criticized the punishment even on an anonymous basis.     Because I’ve seen nothing of the kind.    Manfred’s contract, which was approved unanimously by the owners after the 2018 season, runs through 2024.     I don’t see the owners doing anything with him.

The owners were told if they criticized the Astros punishment they would be punished worse than the Astros.

Do you think all the other team players criticizing the punishment and threatening to hit Astros players is good. Mike Trout and Yu Darvish just blasted them.  Guys who never say anything.  Fans are angry around the league.  

Yeah the majority on here were clearly wrong.  The majority on here agreed with Ray Rices initial punishment.  

I am guessing if Elias and Sig weren’t involved the poll would have been different .

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I don't think it's going to go away. It's going to be great sports talk material, especially in July/August when they don't have the NBA/NFL/NHL to talk about.

But, I agree with you - Manfred isn't getting fired over this. If anything, the owners like him more because he covered for Jim Crane.

It isn’t going anywhere.  This will just get louder when the season starts.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

The players OWN UNION brokered a deal with MLB not to punish the players. Now all these players are mad at MLB for not punishing the players. It’s comedy. Can’t make it up   

https://www.wsj.com/articles/astros-players-cheated-baseball-wanted-answers-so-they-made-a-deal-11579694400

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Has there been a commissioner who has been well-liked? 

In the NBA, David Stern.  I think the new guy, Adam Silver, is well liked.  Pete Rozelle in the NFL.

In MLB, Bart Giamatti gets liked because he banned Pete Rose and was a smart guy who wrote Green Fields of The Mind.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Not all of the report actually came out. Manfred was actual;ly mad that someone found out about Codebreaker which  does not only implicate the players but others in the Astros organization. He said he was re-interviewing players in the Red Sox cheating scandal. Report should be out next week. Should be another c f .

From various twitter reports:

just find it kind of funny that Rob Manfred gave credit to Mike Fiers speaking on the record in The Athletic for giving this investigation its start, then turned around to be sarcastic and condescending about a different piece of journalism regarding the sign-stealing scandal.

Rob Manfred to the reporter who broke the news on the Astros' Codebreaker scheme: "You know, congratulations. You got a private letter that, you know, I sent to a club official. Nice reporting on your part."

Biggest scandal in the sport in however long and the commissioner's first actual press conference where he addressed it was not broadcast on MLB Network.

Rob Manfred said some people have needed to be re-interviewed in the Boston Red Sox investigation, but the plan is for the report on that case to be released by the end of next week.

The code breaker stuff should have been in the report. That I can’t defend. Even if it was just mentioned a little bit.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

The owners were told if they criticized the Astros punishment they would be punished worse than the Astros.

Do you think all the other team players criticizing the punishment and threatening to hit Astros players is good. Mike Trout and Yu Darvish just blasted them.  Guys who never say anything.  Fans are angry around the league.  

Yeah the majority on here were clearly wrong.  The majority on here agreed with Ray Rices initial punishment.  

I am guessing if Elias and Sig weren’t involved the poll would have been different .

Just to be clear about one thing: the poll wasn’t about whether the players should have been punished.    The poll was about whether the punishment to the organization was stiff enough.    It’s a different question.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The code breaker stuff should have been in the report. That I can’t defend. Even if it was just mentioned a little bit.  

Codebreaker itself isn't illegal. Using cameras and a monitor in the clubhouse is. Theoretically, if the Astros could figure out a team's signs using codebreaker and then be able to use that information without using illegal technology - that would be legal. Codebreaker is just an excel document.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You guys are hilarious.    The minute they start playing games in 2020, this topic will be off the front pages.    Right now it’s filling a vacuum.     And there’s no way Manfred is getting fired over this.    

It’s not going anywhere once the astros start getting thrown at once a game