Tony-OH

Guess the 26-man opening roster

Hey Tony! We have until Friday to change our answers right? Which means all of us who selected Urena For a spot have time to go back and change the answer right?

Asking for a friend…

Edited by Philip

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Hey Tony! We have until Friday to change our answers right? Which means all of us who selected Urena For a spot have time to go back and change the answer right?

Asking for a friend…

I'm waiting until Friday so I don't have to beg. 

• Haha 1

I'll give my secret away. I don't think all five "starters" will be named or necessarily on the roster when it heads north. 

Infield (7)
A decent guy - 3 Meh guys - 2 guys well below average - one awful guy

Outfield (4)
Hope - possible repeat hope - not good - not good at all

Catchers (2)
Serviceable - not a prospect guy

Starting pitchers (5)
Cobb, Means, Wojo, here to get hammered, guess he's not healthy at all guy

Relief pitchers (8)
Harvey - should have traded him - 3 below Meh - 2 really bad - 1 not here

• Haha 4

Infield: Davis, Alberto, Iglesias, Ruiz, Nunez, Velasquez (6)

Catchers: Severino, Sisco (2)

Outfielders: Mancini, Hays, Santander, Dwight Smith, Jr., Wilkerson (5)

Starters: Means, Cobb, Wojo, Hess, Bailey (5)

Bullpen: Givens, Harvey, Castro, Scott, Rucker, Fry, Bleier, Armstrong (8)

4 hours ago, weams said:

I'll give my secret away. I don't think all five "starters" will be named or necessarily on the roster when it heads north. 

If that’s true, than logically it means LeBlanc and Milone don’t make it.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

If that’s true, than logically it means LeBlanc and Milone don’t make it.

How so? They could easily be stashed in the Opening Day bullpen until they're needed to start.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

How so? They could easily be stashed in the Opening Day bullpen until they're needed to start.

The only reason you’d put them on the team and not in the rotation is because someone won the spot in the rotation over them. It is unlikely that they’d both be unable to win a rotation spot and yet be desirable enough to keep in the pen until they are needed, especially as NRIs. Most likely result is they either win a rotation spot outright, or they don’t make the team.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

The only reason you’d put them on the team and not in the rotation is because someone won the spot in the rotation over them. It is unlikely that they’d both be unable to win a rotation spot and yet be desirable enough to keep in the pen until they are needed, especially as NRIs. Most likely result is they either win a rotation spot outright, or they don’t make the team.

Could be, but they might be useful in sort of a swingman/long relief role (like they both had last year in Seattle) even if they aren't in the rotation at the start of the season. I don't think both will make the club, but one of them might.

IF:  Davis, Alberto, Iglesias, Ruiz, Nunez, Urias, Velazquez (7)

C  Severino, Sisco (2)

OF: Mancini, Hays, Santander, Stewart (4)

SP: Cobb, Means, Wojo, waiver/FA signing, Bailey (5)

RP: Harvey, Givens, Bleier, Castro, Sulser, Milone, Armstrong, Hess (8)

By the end of the year I wouldn't bet on any but maybe 1 or 2 out of rotation to be on the roster.  Bullpen to be a revolving door all year.  Honestly almost didn't put Harvey on OD roster in fear of IR.

I'm hopeful Stewart is ready by OD but think that Mullins may take that spot.  Not interested in iron glove Smith Jr in the OF.  Chris Davis is a better LF than him.  Velazquez is the defacto 5th OF/UT IF. 

Edited by Chuck A

I suppose I'll make my guess (additions to 40-man roster in green):

SP    Alex Cobb
SP    John Means*
SP    Asher Wojcieowski
SP    Brandon Bailey
SP    Wade LeBlanc
RP    Tanner Scott*
RP    Paul Fry*
RP    Miguel Castro
RP    Shawn Armstrong
RP    Richard Bleier*
RP    Tommy Milone*
RP    Hunter Harvey
CL    Mychal Givens

C    Pedro Severino
1B    Chris Davis
2B    Hanser Alberto
SS    Jose Iglesias
3B    Rio Ruiz
LF    Trey Mancini
CF    Austin Hays
RF    Anthony Santander*
3B    Renato Nunez

C    Bryan Holaday
IF    Ramon Urias
UT    Andrew Velazquez
OF    Mason Williams

IL    D.J. Stewart*
DFA   Dwight Smith, Jr.
DFA   Cedric Mullins
DFA   Austin Wynns
RET   Michael Rucker

• Upvote 2

I think having Holaday and Taylor Davis here speaks volumes about Chance Sisco, in addition to Hyde's comments about Severino getting a lot of work, Holaday having a really solid season in Miami last year, Sisco really struggling on defense and simply not hitting last year, and he has an option! I just see a lot going against Chance and don't love him on the roster. There are arguments for his inclusion, but I just think this is a better way to handle the staff. Wynns will pass through waivers.

I am unsure about DJ Stewart. I think he's getting healthier and is nearly there-- I am hedging a bet that the O's use the IL for roster flexibility with him. I think DJ Stewart makes Smith redundant, and Stewart doesn't impress me that much.

Mason Williams is the only guy not named Austin Hays that can play a passable CF. I truly don't see them not making him a priority. I don't think Mullins is good enough to be claimed by another team.

I like Milone's chances of making the team, as well as all the other left handers, because they need them. I'm least high on Tanner Scott, who I'd be happy to swap with Cody Carroll, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. 

Going back and forth on Wade LeBlanc and Michael Rucker. LeBlanc is kinda bad, but Rucker isn't likely to stick as an inexperienced AA reliever. For lack of better starting options I'm siding with LeBlanc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Could be, but they might be useful in sort of a swingman/long relief role (like they both had last year in Seattle) even if they aren't in the rotation at the start of the season. I don't think both will make the club, but one of them might.

That’s a reasonable possibility. I certainly think we're Going to need a long man. But as I said somewhere else, Milone and Leblanc are part of the past and I think the preference is on preparing for the future and a long man role would be better given to one of the potential future pieces to see if he can produce. Although I don’t think he makes the team at all, someone like Hess, because he still has a chance to improve into a useful piece, while M and L are into their 30s.

we’ll see.

Starting Pitchers - Means, Cobb, Wojo, Akin, Stewart

Relief- Givens, Bleier, Armstrong, Castro, Fry, Rucker, Bailey, Harvey, Scott

Infield- Mancini, Alberto, Iglesias, Nunez, Ruiz

Outfield - Hayes, Santander, Smith Jr, Wilkerson

Catcher - Cisco, Severino, Holaday