Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Loin

Davis is definitley jacked this year...

7 hours ago, connja said:

Just for fun....what's our upside if Davis hits .250 with 45 homers?  No comments on likelihood please.  Offense could be pretty good.

If a good chunk of that is against the Yankees and Red Sox, that will be all the upside I need

• Like 1

Big different when your facing 90/92 and faces MLB pitchers 95 and up, need to see more, couldn't hit velo the last 2 years.

11 hours ago, Sir_Loin said:

After talking with people it seems like Davis really has turned a corner. 

Not only did he alter what size bat he is using, he was able to generate more bat speed with the help of the O’s and the Blast Technology this winter. 

Time will tell it it leads to better results and exit velo...

How about the whole "keeping his bat on the shoulder" thing while watching strike 3?   Have they addressed that?

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

How about the whole "keeping his bat on the shoulder" thing while watching strike 3?   Have they addressed that?

Davis is not going to be better. Maybe for a week. Maybe for a month. Davis is who Davis has been for three years. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Davis is not going to be better. Maybe for a week. Maybe for a month. Davis is who Davis has been for three years. 

We have reached the part of the contract in which we should have expected his performance to dip sharply.

34 minutes ago, weams said:

Definitely good to be cautious when talking about Davis rebounding, but it could happen. They don't award Comeback Player of the Year for nothing.

18 hours ago, connja said:

Just for fun....what's our upside if Davis hits .250 with 45 homers?  No comments on likelihood please.  Offense could be pretty good.

Offense will be much more fun to watch. We lose our tank commander in this situation, which I would be ok with. I am sure if this happens Elias would try to trade him, but they would still have to eat most of the contract and I bet teams still wouldn't bite. 

19 hours ago, connja said:

In such a fantasy world, similarly unlikely things could happen like Cobb finishing in the top-3 for Cy Young and Austin Hays and Ryan Mountcastle finishing first and second in the AL Rookie of the Year voting. In such a world, a mid-80 win season may be possible.

In a world with no other miracle happening in the season and the rest of the players producing within their likely range of outcomes, the Orioles COULD win enough to avoid 100 losses, but pitching is still the biggest issue.

Now...back to reality where a replacement level season from Davis would be a pleasant surprise.

1 hour ago, andrewochs615 said:

Offense will be much more fun to watch. We lose our tank commander in this situation, which I would be ok with. I am sure if this happens Elias would try to trade him, but they would still have to eat most of the contract and I bet teams still wouldn't bite. 

You have to think he's completely untradeable at this point regardless.  It's hard to root for someone to fail, but at this point I think a lot  of us craving resolution more than anything else.

Just now, 24fps said:

You have to think he's completely untradeable at this point regardless.  It's hard to root for someone to fail, but at this point I think a lot  of us craving resolution more than anything else.

Of course he is and that is before you factor in his no trade protection.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have reached the part of the contract in which we should have expected his performance to dip sharply.

Wait, you mean this is where he gets even worse?!!

3 hours ago, weams said:

Personally, I've always felt that a lot of Davis' issues have been mental. When he's in the batter's box - he looks lost. He has no plan, he seems disengaged, and completely lacking in confidence. 

I'm doubtful that Davis returns to form, but if adding muscle is the mojo he needs to be in a better place mentally at the plate - I could see improvement happening. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, weams said:

So, no hope for another 53 homer season? The title of this thread really had me optimistic. 

🤥