eddie83

Broadcasting changes

I noticed that they weren't clear on the roles for the new people.  That's probably intentional so they can move people around as they see fit.

I am sure Melanie Newman knows her stuff.  You don't get promoted to being on ML coverage for a team if you don't.  

That said, I hope she's not doing the play by play.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I noticed that they weren't clear on the roles for the new people.  That's probably intentional so they can move people around as they see fit.

I am sure Melanie Newman knows her stuff.  You don't get promoted to being on ML coverage for a team if you don't.  

That said, I hope she's not doing the play by play.  

Probably therapy for going through a 162 game schedule broadcasting for this team. Playing on a bad team is one thing, watching and announcing is even worse IMO.

43 minutes ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

Yup, this is the main thing for me.  These two are my favorite broadcast duo.

I used to turn down the TV and listen to the radio guys while watching on TV. Now I’ll have to do the opposite 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philip said:

I used to turn down the TV and listen to the radio guys while watching on TV. Now I’ll have to do the opposite 

Do you get confused when you're watching an Orioles game with the sound off and listening to Eric Nadel on the radio?

• Haha 1

No matter how bad our guys are, and they can be from time to time.

They are heads and tails better than what most of the other teams are using.

But this isnt a new topic, we have discuss this before.

I miss the radio days of Jon Miller and Joe Angel.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe they'll try Mountcastle at announcer too.  There's nothing like positional flexibility.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, OrioleDog said:

Maybe they'll try Mountcastle at announcer too.  There's nothing like positional flexibility.

That would be a valid reason to send him down for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Lowenstein and Proctor were the best, and it's not just nostalgia.  Lowenstein was truly a character and it came across all the time, Proctor was his straight man.  They were a great comedy duo.

As good as Thorne and Palmer are now, I have to agree with you that Lowenstein and Proctor were better. Even a game that was a blowout was made entertaining with them on the call. I remember when Lowenstein wasn't brought back that a lot of it had to do with Angelos thinking he was too much of a character and not professional enough on the air. 

I miss Joe Angel (duh).

I’ll actually miss Jim, too, despite the beating he seems to take from many here. For me, he's the voice of the Orioles, almost literally since I was born. The “modest 2-game (whatever) streak” I found to be almost an endearing quirk of sorts. He’s been a loyal soldier – hopefully the new role won’t marginalize him too much.

Don’t know much about Garceau as a PBPer; I vaguely remember him calling Ravens games back in the day. He’s been out of the booth for a long time, so it’ll be interesting to see how quickly he re-acclimates himself.

Sort of related, I’m glad Weinman is getting (what I think is) a better time slot. I’m not a daily listener of 105.7, but I always tend to stick around whenever he’s on. He knows his stuff, is passionate about his teams and has no qualms about speaking his mind about them, good, bad, or so-so. And does it in an engaging way, if that makes sense.

Edited by Win Column

18 hours ago, Philip said:

I am disappointed that Kevin Brown will be back, he is terrible. What he says is not interesting,  the way he says it is not interesting and his voice is not interesting. When you’re on the radio, you’re a storyteller, and you have to have an engaging voice, which he does not have and you have to describe events in an interesting way, which he does not do.

IMO, one of his assets is his ability to work analytics into his broadcast. And he does it in a nonintrusive, almost inconspicuous manner (which is helpful for analytics semi-novices like me). 

So from this link it looks like some of the preseason games which do not have radio broadcasts on 105.7 are listed as "Radio:  mlb.com".   I remember last year Melewski did a bunch of games that were online only and not over the airwaves.   I wonder if this is the same thing.   That would include the opener vs Atlanta Saturday.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/schedule/2020-02/list

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/schedule/2020-03/list

22 hours ago, SteveA said:

Remember the Orioles tried a sideline reporter for the first time last year

How soon we forget Amber Theoharis  Matt_Wieters_and_Amber_Theoharis.jpg

19 hours ago, BarclaySouthway said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but Scott Garceau, while being plenty of affable, seems a little short on the insight and long on the cliche.

Have at me.

Not sure if he'll know what to do when he doesn't have his standard go-to move of "Hey Jeremy, make that one funny voice you do!" followed shortly by "That's so great. Jeremy, do that other funny voice you do!"

Glad to see Jeremy get his own show. Drive time is always much better when it's Jeremy and a fill-in because they can actually get into the topics rather than cover for the fact that Scott doesn't know anything more than what he's told or something that happened 20 years ago. 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As good as Thorne and Palmer are now, I have to agree with you that Lowenstein and Proctor were better. Even a game that was a blowout was made entertaining with them on the call. I remember when Lowenstein wasn't brought back that a lot of it had to do with Angelos thinking he was too much of a character and not professional enough on the air. 

Apparently Angelos' criteria involved being a straight-laced over-the-top homer.  Being truthful and entertaining, not so much.