eddie83

Broadcasting changes

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

Moose, i respect your posts a lot here, but i'm not understanding the guys saying Hunter wasn't horrible on radio, just TV.   First, this ignores the tremendous dangers of road rage.  Most people are not driving their houses when watching TV.   Second, in the radio environment you are 100 percent dependent on the person describing the game; with TV you can mute, use other devices to look at the internet, read, and do lots of other things and not be dependent on a person describing what you can see.  Additionally, although Hunter was quite the blabbermouth on TV - as is the modern style of TV guy -  the total volume of words - thus the total volume of Hunter bs - was far greater on radio than on TV.   Everyone's mileage will vary, of course.    

Let me add that I am a New England fan and grew up listening to the games starting in 1968 and never was able to watch regularly until the recent development of MLB.TV and similar platforms.  So I have spent numerous decades listening to the games almost exclusively.  

I'm not sure how to describe why I felt that way towards Hunter.  I think part of it was that, on the radio, he'd let the game breathe a bit more.  There was some silence.  On the TV, he was constantly prattling away.

On the TV broadcast, I felt like he was more "on", he was more of the aforementioned used car salesman type.  He was still a big homer on the radio, but not as much.  Don't get me wrong, he wasn't Jon Miller/Joe Angel on the radio, but he was alright, IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure how to describe why I felt that way towards Hunter.  I think part of it was that, on the radio, he'd let the game breathe a bit more.  There was some silence.  On the TV, he was constantly prattling away.

On the TV broadcast, I felt like he was more "on", he was more of the aforementioned used car salesman type.  He was still a big homer on the radio, but not as much.  Don't get me wrong, he wasn't Jon Miller/Joe Angel on the radio, but he was alright, IMO.

Totally agree. He was marginally better on the radio and just super annoying on TV. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Garceau and Thorne are doing almost all the TV games. Brown a few. Maybe she will do some radio PBP?

Is there a schedule of who’s doing which TV games?    I hadn’t seen that.   Where is it?

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, no. Paul, YOU'RE better than that.  It's very different because in your female boss scenario, you're making a comparison based on a female having a position of power and influence on day to day work responsibilities.  Comparing someone I'd hypothetically have to answer to (and not that I should have to justify it or that you even care, but my favorite boss ever was female) and have to work with in order to make a living wage isn't even remotely in the same stratosphere as a preference on who'd I'd like to call a baseball game on the radio while I'm driving home from work.  That's not a valid comparison.  Slightly less poor is your comparison about having a "black manager" who was bad and therefore sticking to white managers.  

Never said women couldn't be broadcasters.  Never said women shouldn't be broadcasters.  In fact I'm pretty sure that I said that the new broadcaster has to know her stuff in order to get where she is.  But that doesn't keep both of you from making leaps in conclusions and putting words in my mouth and telling me what I need to get "accustomed to," because it doesn't jive with your social agendas.  In regards to being open minded, of course I'm going to listen.  It's not like I'm going to boycott the games if she's in the booth.  C'mon.

Guys, I'm not apologizing for a personal preference and what I'd like to listen to.  It's as simple as that. 

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, even one that you readily admitted was sexist. But surely you can see why it's a problematic statement, and why that kind of backwards attitude contributes to women getting lesser/unequal opportunities in baseball media -- and in all sports media -- than men.

I wouldn't be surprised if people were making that kind of argument before baseball was integrated in the 1940s. "As a sports fan I've been conditioned to see white players in baseball for all of my life, so forgive me if I don't like seeing a black guy on the field. I never said black guys couldn't be MLB players. Never said they shouldn't be players. It's just a personal preference. I'm not apologizing for it." Would that have been okay?

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wow, you are a longtime member of this site, aren’t you?    I’d completely forgotten about Mr. Hoffman.   Wasn’t he a retired law enforcement officer or something?   I’ve forgotten his first name, so maybe @Tony-OH, @weamsor @PaulFolkcan refresh our memories.     He loved to report on the guys who weren’t really prospects but baseball rats.    Good times!

I believe you're thinking of John Hoffmann.

• Upvote 2

Just now, PaulFolk said:

I believe you're thinking of John Hoffmann.

Yes.   Am I right in thinking he’d been in law enforcement previously?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is there a schedule of who’s doing which TV games?    I hadn’t seen that.   Where is it?

Heard Garceau is doing about 52 games and all the spring training games. I think Ben McDonald is with him on Sunday or Roberts, not sure.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, even one that you readily admitted was sexist. But surely you can see why it's a problematic statement, and why that kind of backwards attitude contributes to women getting lesser/unequal opportunities in baseball media -- and in all sports media -- than men.

I wouldn't be surprised if people were making that kind of argument before baseball was integrated in the 1940s. "As a sports fan I've been conditioned to see white players in baseball for all of my life, so forgive me if I don't like seeing a black guy on the field. I never said black guys couldn't be MLB players. Never said they shouldn't be players. It's just a personal preference. I'm not apologizing for it." Would that have been okay?

Sorta, but I think you're still leaping to conclusions and presenting a strawman.  

Again, I didn't say there's no place for women in the broadcast booth.  I didn't say I wouldn't watch games that she's broadcasting.  I didn't say that women shouldn't be afforded opportunities in sports media.  I think you'd like to think that I feel that way when I really don't.  I mean, if Hunter was calling all 162 games with Bordick on TV, I'd still watch.  Who's doing the PBP and color commentary is ultimately doesn't matter if I'm going to watch the game.  If it did, yeah, it'd be problematic.  Frobby was right earlier, it's not going to change the way I watch and interact with the team.

So if all I'm doing here is grumbling about a personal preference but not changing how I interact with the team, not changing how I'm consuming the games and begrudgingly keeping an open mind on who's calling the game...what are we really arguing about here?  Do I have to think she's great just because she's a woman broadcaster when I've never heard her call a game before?  Dude, if she's great I'll be the first to say it. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is Newman confirmed to be calling games or will she be a sideline reporter like Sara Pearlman, who vacated that role mid-season last year?

There is no confirmation of many of these details. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

But that doesn't keep both of you from making leaps in conclusions and putting words in my mouth 

Guys, I'm not apologizing for a personal preference and what I'd like to listen to.  It's as simple as that. 

I didn't mean to imply that you should apologize and I didn't mean to hammer you. I have biases too. We all do. Every culture is full of them and every person has biases. But I definitely didn't put any words in your mouth. You expressed a clear sexual bias. No need to twist anything you said because you wrote in crystal clear, plain English. We all have unconscious biases until we see them for what they are. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

No schedule but over the past couple days, if you ready every Melewski/Kubatko/MLB.com column and listen to what Garceau was quoted as saying on his 105.7 talkshow, it seems to have come out that Garceau will be doing TV play by play for 52 games (he mentioned that exact #) and will also be doing a lot of Orioles pre-and post-game stuff on MASN.   So maybe he will be replacing Tom Davis and working with Demper some of the time?

And also it was noted that Brown would do a little bit of TV pbp as well.   And Arnold will be doing some radio pbp.

Each of those bits of info came from a different source.

So we know a little more about the various roles than we did two days ago, but I imagine there are things we will just have to wait and see on.

• Upvote 1