Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Hyde on David Hess' improvement

From Roch:

The plan includes David Hess, who could be a starter or reliever on the club. His role is pending.

“We’re going to see how the first three or four appearances go and giving him multiple innings and make a decision from there,” Hyde said.

Hess threw in the bullpen earlier today and has been impressive since taking home an offseason program from the Premier Pitching & Performance center in St. Louis.

“I think that the offseason was huge for him,” Hyde said. “He did have a tough year and it’s one of those adversity moments that a lot of guys have in their career and hopefully he can use that as a learning experience and know what he needs to work on.

“I think they got after it this winter. I know our pitching guys are really happy with the progress he’s made, the shape on all of his pitches. Made a couple tweaks mechanically in his delivery and so far the results have been really good. So we’re going to get a good look at him the next five, six weeks.”

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Preseason fluff piece.  If I had a dime for every article written like this about a guy who was terrible the season before and looks good in a bullpen session the following spring, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere and retired.

I don’t know. Hess has talent. He worked out this offseason and went to the same place as Means. I think Hess has a good chance to give us 25+ starts with a 5 ERA. That would be a big step forward for him. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t know. Hess has talent. He worked out this offseason and went to the same place as Means. I think Hess has a good chance to give us 25+ starts with a 5 ERA. That would be a big step forward for him. 

Dude, they all have talent.  Even Mike Wright had talent.  The worst pitcher in the Major Leagues is still at the 99th percentile of all baseball players in the world.

I'd love to be wrong, but this is a good chunk of spring training...articles about guys who come to camp that have worked on things in the offseason and look better.  Doesn't mean they will be.  

Hess was so bad last year that...yikes, a 5 ERA would be an improvement for him.  And that's still not great at all.

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Preseason fluff piece.  If I had a dime for every article written like this about a guy who was terrible the season before and looks good in a bullpen session the following spring, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere and retired.

Yes, but I love it.    Once a year they’re actually right about someone.    Maybe it’s Hess.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yes, but I love it.    Once a year they’re actually right about someone.    Maybe it’s Hess.    

Yep, they're right every so often.  It'd be cool if it were Hess.  If he can be the Means of 2020 and if Means can maintain what he did last year, we'd be in a decent spot.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, they're right every so often.  It'd be cool if it were Hess.  If he can be the Means of 2020 and if Means can maintain what he did last year, we'd be in a decent spot.

Of course, at least once a year there is a guy who’s previously been good who suddenly sucks.    We had several last year.   I wonder who it will be this year.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Of course, at least once a year there is a guy who’s previously been good who suddenly sucks.    We had several last year.   I wonder who it will be this year.   

Who are you betting on?

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. Also exactly what I thought when I saw the title. “Spin” and it means nothing.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And Hess was one of those last year to an extent. 

Hess was so bad last year that I would prefer to try out someone else with potential. Hess Has an option, we can use it.

Just now, Big Mac said:

And Hess was one of those last year to an extent. 

I don’t know if I’d say he was “good” in 2018, but he did kind of close the year on a semi-roll, so it was pretty disappointing to see how 2019 unfolded, especially after he teased us with that 6+ inning no-hitter at the start of the year.    Despite his struggles, memories of that one brilliant game give me some hope that he can pull it together more often.   

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well there's not much else to talk about and of course the manager is going to be saying positive things right now. Nobody wants to ruin the vibe which is why you have to look out for what's not being said. Who's not being pointed out in coming to camp in great shape or looking good. They are not going to point it out, but it's what they don't say that sometimes speaks volumes!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well there's not much else to talk about and of course the manager is going to be saying positive things right now. Nobody wants to ruin the vibe which is why you have to look out for what's not being said. Who's not being pointed out in coming to camp in great shape or looking good. They are not going to point it out, but it's what they don't say that sometimes speaks volumes!

You're right.   I haven't heard a single positive quote about Malquin Canelo.   Let's burn him at the stake!!!