Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Hyde on David Hess' improvement

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, but I love it.    Once a year they’re actually right about someone.    Maybe it’s Hess.    

He looks real big. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well there's not much else to talk about and of course the manager is going to be saying positive things right now. Nobody wants to ruin the vibe which is why you have to look out for what's not being said. Who's not being pointed out in coming to camp in great shape or looking good. They are not going to point it out, but it's what they don't say that sometimes speaks volumes!

I’m in absolute lockstep with this.

 When I listened again to Hyde on Hess, the last 4 words stood out more and more....’next five, six weeks’.  Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it spoke to Hess’ audition type opportunity in Sarasota. 

Also, Hyde was asked about him and his swingman role potential specifically and that’s why he was the subject.  Otherwise I don’t think he’s discussed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric-OH said:

I’m in absolute lockstep with this.

 When I listened again to Hyde on Hess, the last 4 words stood out more and more....’next five, six weeks’.  Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it spoke to Hess’ audition type opportunity in Sarasota. 

Also, Hyde was asked about him and his swingman role potential specifically and that’s why he was the subject.  Otherwise I don’t think he’s discussed.  

I agree. Basically it's Hyde saying he appreciates all the work he did but it's time to show it on the field during spring training.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Hess.  2019 was obviously a lost year for him but certainly no reason to write him off as some are suggesting.

2018 saw a lot of success for Hess.  He went out and put up 80binnings of really good mid 3.00 ERA stuff.  Showed strong ground ball tendencies, and to his credit actually got better the second time through the order which is no easy feat.  He actually get better with men on base too.  Again a solid quality to have.

That third time though, those 20 innings were a nightmare for him. That trend continued last year through every situation.

The great thing for Hess is that its not a velocity issue for him, he works around an average of 93 mph with his FB and that should be good.  We saw what Means was able to accomplish at that speed.

If he can make some of his secondary pitches work better for him I think you could see a guy who grabs the 4-5 rotation spot and puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA.  And I fully expect the Orioles to give him that opportunity because they, unlike a lot of fans, understand development takes years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I like Hess.  2019 was obviously a lost year for him but certainly no reason to write him off as some are suggesting.

2018 saw a lot of success for Hess.  He went out and put up 80binnings of really good mid 3.00 ERA stuff.  Showed strong ground ball tendencies, and to his credit actually got better the second time through the order which is no easy feat.  He actually get better with men on base too.  Again a solid quality to have.

That third time though, those 20 innings were a nightmare for him. That trend continued last year through every situation.

The great thing for Hess is that its not a velocity issue for him, he works around an average of 93 mph with his FB and that should be good.  We saw what Means was able to accomplish at that speed.

If he can make some of his secondary pitches work better for him I think you could see a guy who grabs the 4-5 rotation spot and puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA.  And I fully expect the Orioles to give him that opportunity because they, unlike a lot of fans, understand development takes years.

 

If Hess puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA he will not be a 4 or 5.  He would probably be the O's #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If Hess puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA he will not be a 4 or 5.  He would probably be the O's #2.

On our team, for sure.   That would be an A+ development for the O’s.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I like Hess.  2019 was obviously a lost year for him but certainly no reason to write him off as some are suggesting.

2018 saw a lot of success for Hess.  He went out and put up 80binnings of really good mid 3.00 ERA stuff.  Showed strong ground ball tendencies, and to his credit actually got better the second time through the order which is no easy feat.  He actually get better with men on base too.  Again a solid quality to have.

That third time though, those 20 innings were a nightmare for him. That trend continued last year through every situation.

The great thing for Hess is that its not a velocity issue for him, he works around an average of 93 mph with his FB and that should be good.  We saw what Means was able to accomplish at that speed.

If he can make some of his secondary pitches work better for him I think you could see a guy who grabs the 4-5 rotation spot and puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA.  And I fully expect the Orioles to give him that opportunity because they, unlike a lot of fans, understand development takes years.

 

Good post and you make several good points.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Preseason fluff piece.  If I had a dime for every article written like this about a guy who was terrible the season before and looks good in a bullpen session the following spring, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere and retired.

 

The ball looks good coming out of his hand!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Preseason fluff piece.  If I had a dime for every article written like this about a guy who was terrible the season before and looks good in a bullpen session the following spring, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere and retired.

 

But... but... he's in the best shape of his life!  And apparently so are his pitches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

But... but... he's in the best shape of his life!  And apparently so are his pitches!

Aren't we all in the spring?  

Bring Kam in as a non roster invite!  Can't hurt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But... but... he's in the best shape of his life!  And apparently so are his pitches!

Just another 2 rotation of the Batting Order pitcher. He is fine until facing the hitter a 3rd time in the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The ball looks good coming out of his hand!

I just made a list of players with 100-300 innings and a 5.50+ ERA through age 25, just like Hess.  179 names popped up, and at least 3-4 of them had MLB careers like Cal McLish and Ted Abernathy.  And Dana Eveland.  So I'm saying there's a chance.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Just another 2 rotation of the Batting Order pitcher. He is fine until facing the hitter a 3rd time in the lineup.

So don't ever do that. It's just a matter of time until the definition of a pitcher is "guy who throws to nine batters and no more."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So don't ever do that. It's just a matter of time until the definition of a pitcher is "guy who throws to nine batters and no more."

throw 9 pitchers every game. Groom them for 1 inning every other day.  When they arent pitching putting at SS. :)

🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...