Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Who Goes in the First Cut?

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

I bet it has something to do with adherence to league policies, but more to do with starting their workload for 2020.  Based on what I’d see, I would guess that each and every pitcher has a specific innings threshold and Wells is no exception.  He’ll get some work if healthy against a higher tier of hitter if possible and then mid-March probably transfer to minor league camp and start that innings load.  I also agree with a previous poster that this particular injury is a less than normal one for a guy who doesn’t use extreme torque and violence to get his offerings to the catcher. 

He'll get no work with an oblique again. Very disappointing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

The oblique is a nasty injury.

Fortunately, they’re just saying his oblique is “sore.”     Hopefully they caught it early and it will calm down.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, weams said:

He'll get no work with an oblique again. Very disappointing. 

I’m hopeful that it’s not the worst grade of injury.  But you could be correct.  
Also if we hear tweak as opposed to strain it’s slightly better news.  Sore is closer to tweak.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eric-OH said:

I’m hopeful that it’s not the worst grade of injury.  But you could be correct.  
Also if we hear tweak as opposed to strain it’s slightly better news.  Sore is closer to tweak.

True, not like TJ. But, like a guy with chronic hamstrings, once a player gets a oblique, he is prone to repeat the injury.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fortunately, they’re just saying his oblique is “sore.”     Hopefully they caught it early and it will calm down.   

Hopefully, hate to see any prospect get shut down for 2-3 weeks or months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fortunately, they’re just saying his oblique is “sore.”     Hopefully they caught it early and it will calm down.   

I feel like they always thing they catch obliques early and it never matters. Wells' ST is toast, IMO. But he was a long shot anyway with two veteran SPs and two Rule 5s and other prospects like Akin and Kremer ahead of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I feel like they always thing they catch obliques early and it never matters. Wells' ST is toast, IMO. But he was a long shot anyway with two veteran SPs and two Rule 5s and other prospects like Akin and Kremer ahead of him. 

Oh, he had zero chance of breaking camp with the Orioles.    This is more about whether he gets a chance to throw in front of the major league coaches, and whether his MiL season starts on time.    Last year, his oblique issue delayed his AA debut until April 20, but fortunately he suffered no lingering effects after that.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping Wells would be able to get in a couple games and make some big league hitters look bad to have a bit of a mental impression on the staff who may question whether his stuff will play in the big leagues. Hopefully he pitches well in Triple-A to earn a chance later in the year regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 12:41 PM, Redskins Rick said:

I know they are cuts,but are they really?

I mean they got a ST invite just to be a body, and everybody expects them to be in the minors.

So you hear the word cut, you think of a promotion and it really isnt

Or am I overthinking this?

Extra body, but also better instruction, at least in theory.  You have vet presence and extra coaching.  20-30 coaches for 69 guys.  vs 20 coaches for 150.  And you are seen by the big league staff.  Not sure how often Hyde and co. head over to twin lakes, if ever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

No.  Games start late, but Pitchers and catchers will all be checked in by 3/4, rest of them by 3/8, the full squad report date. 
 

Games begin 3/18 so I’ll see about 10 days worth of total organization in practice mode.  I’m counting the days until I can see and report on their developed skills against other teams.

78203EDE-445F-4545-A8C9-D654F4F0BF62.jpeg

I would expect the days leading up to organization games will be intrasquad games, so not entirely all practice.  WAYYYYY too many pitchers to be just that many games that need experience, especially since first cuts will most likely come the 2nd week of games.  

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Please explain why this matters.  Eric has been to the minor league camp and there are a lot on minor leaguers all ready at Twin Lakes.

They are there in unofficial capacity and/or early camp roster to supplement big league games.  I'm guessing Sunday or Monday will be first round of cuts and the following weekend will be position players.  I don't see many position players getting cut because everyday players in big league camp don't take as many swings/need it.  Spring is mostly for pitchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jarman86 said:

I would expect the days leading up to organization games will be intrasquad games, so not entirely all practice.  WAYYYYY too many pitchers to be just that many games that need experience, especially since first cuts will most likely come the 2nd week of games.  

They are there in unofficial capacity and/or early camp roster to supplement big league games.  I'm guessing Sunday or Monday will be first round of cuts and the following weekend will be position players.  I don't see many position players getting cut because everyday players in big league camp don't take as many swings/need it.  Spring is mostly for pitchers.

According to the team you are correct in your guess about intrasquad games.  They will be next Tuesday and Wednesday and go on sporadically through the reporting dates.  I found this out today so way to be ahead of them!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

According to the team you are correct in your guess about intrasquad games.  They will be next Tuesday and Wednesday and go on sporadically through the reporting dates.  I found this out today so way to be ahead of them!

Not ahead of them, just...some things never change lol.  I guess you can only do so many fielding drills and BP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jarman86 said:

Not ahead of them, just...some things never change lol.  I guess you can only do so many fielding drills and BP.

True.  I look forward to the squads playing something closer to games soon.  The staff is trying to mix in fun and break it up as best as they can but I’m sure everybody’s clock is on game mode or nearing it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...