Sign in to follow this  
weams

[FanGraphs] Trey Mancini talks Hitting with David Laurila

I wonder why Laurila sat on that interview for five months?    It’s pretty enlightening.  And I love Trey.    

I really like Trey also, I guess because he reminds me of some of the real good hitters I learned about in the 40s and 50s.  I say learned about because for me it was a static filled radio, no TV until 1951 or so and then super rarely to have more than a game or two on per week, and nearly always   teams I did not really care about.  . That interview shows that he is a bright, disciplined, ball player with a 1950s work ethic.  I wish him the best, knowing he probably will be traded for Prospects, but I think he would make a near perfect mentor for his teammates, both younger and older than he is.  

4 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I really like Trey also, I guess because he reminds me of some of the real good hitters I learned about in the 40s and 50s.  I say learned about because for me it was a static filled radio, no TV until 1951 or so and then super rarely to have more than a game or two on per week, and nearly always   teams I did not really care about.  . That interview shows that he is a bright, disciplined, ball player with a 1950s work ethic.  I wish him the best, knowing he probably will be traded for Prospects, but I think he would make a near perfect mentor for his teammates, both younger and older than he is.  

You think guys in the 50's worked harder than today's players?

You have seen how a whole bunch of these guys have spent the offseason improving their games right?

I think a '50's work ethic would include showing up to camp out of shape, not lifting weights and getting drunk on a regular basis during the season.  They most certainly didn't spend time in the video room breaking down footage.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have seen how a whole bunch of these guys have spent the offseason improving their games right?

I think a '50's work ethic would include showing up to camp out of shape, not lifting weights and getting drunk on a regular basis during the season.  They most certainly didn't spend time in the video room breaking down footage.

Yeah, a 50s work ethic was tough because most guys had to work a second job all offseason. Spring training was where you got in shape. Now we have fans complaining because a guy lifted weights all offseason but didn’t go to some specialized swing academy. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One of my favorite anecdotes from The Boys of Summer was the Dodgers had a player, George Shuba, who Roger Kahn covered as a reporter who he always thought had a beautiful, natural swing.    Years later he visited the player (long retired) and he showed him his basement where he used to swing a 44-ounce bat at knots on a rope hanging from the ceiling 600  times a night to hone his swing.    So much for “natural!”    My point is that there have always been players who worked very hard at their craft.     It’s a very competitive environment.    

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of my favorite anecdotes from The Boys of Summer was the Dodgers had a player who Roger Kahn covered as a reporter who he always thought had a beautiful, natural swing.    Years later he visited the player (long retired) and he showed him his basement where he used to swing a very heavy axe 1,000 times a night to hone his swing.    So much for “natural!”    My point is that there have always been players who worked very hard at their craft.     It’s a very competitive environment.    

Obviously exceptions exist on both ends of the spectrum.  I was speaking of the average player.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Obviously exceptions exist on both ends of the spectrum.  I was speaking of the average player.

I just liked re-telling that story.    One of the top 10 baseball books ever written, IMO.   Arguably, the best.