atomic

MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

Japan league is playing all preseason games without fans.  They are going to suspend schools for 5 weeks.  

I guess they could play games in MLB without crowds and players could travel by chartered airplanes.   Seems like fans aren't going to want to games while the virus is active.   

• Upvote 1

It just depends on how widespread the coronavirus becomes.     It’s too soon to say whether drastic measures like that will become necessary.    They could, but I sure hope not.   

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Surely this goes in the MLB section. 

Orioles are affected.  It isn't MLB specific. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It just depends on how widespread the coronavirus becomes.     It’s too soon to say whether drastic measures like that will become necessary.    They could, but I sure hope not.   

Some guy who hasn't been to any of the affected countries or been around anyone whom has been to those countries is in the hospital in California with a confirmed case.  I think it is inevitable at this point. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Orioles are affected.  It isn't MLB specific. 

What's the purpose of this thread? Some people will say "yes, it's a possibility". Some people will say "no, there's no way". 

What have you accomplished in either case? 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

What's the purpose of this thread? Some people will say "yes, it's a possibility". Some people will say "no, there's no way". 

What have you accomplished in either case? 

If you aren't interested why bother replying?  I think there is quite a possibility the season get suspended or cancelled.  I was wondering what others think.  

Interesting to note that the Flu epedemic of 1918 started to hit in September and MLB season was shortened that year due to WW1.   Baltimore banned baseball games.   The World Series was played though. Evidently Babe Ruth got the Flu.   The NHL Cancelled the Stanley Cup. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you aren't interested why bother replying?  I think there is quite a possibility the season get suspended or cancelled.  I was wondering what others think.  

Were you? You seem more intent on just saying everyone else's opinion is wrong, but have at it. I'll move along.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Were you? You seem more intent on just saying everyone else's opinion is wrong, but have at it. I'll move along.

I have not offered an opinion on whether the season will be cancelled or played without fans.  Your posts have nothing to do with anything I posted.  You are anger is unrelated to my post.  

Fact: Japanese league is playing preseason without fans.

Fact: Virus is spreading. 

Fact: People are fearful of the virus in this country.

Could MLB do it?

Sure.  But it'd have to be pretty bad.

Happy to help.  lmk if you have any other questions.

This thread is way premature but not crazy.  Definitely belongs in MLB though.

• Upvote 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Couldn't you make it at least as many innings as a Little League game?? Two times through the line up. You'd also have to be creative on extra innings as has been discussed here a few times.
    • My friend who they send home with the virus,is now in the hospital. At least not on a ventilator yet but oxygen and can't eat.And this:    
    • No mound visits? So no tagging either? The catcher sits in the stands? And when 25 to how many players shower what happens? Some of the players will be coming from hot spots.I guess money is the main point of it.Seems like if you play in Arizona that July might be a better idea.Models by then show very few cases.
    • When I was a teenager the standard issue TV/radio announcer was a kind of straight-laced middle-aged guy who soberly described the action.  Some a little more character or personality, one or two were Chuck Thompson, but that was the model.  So when you first heard John Madden or Chris Berman or Dick Vitale it was pretty cool.  These guys got into it!  They were different and interesting and came up with nicknames and catch phrases. Now that I'm 48 I think all of them are more annoying than anything else.  Will you please... just... stop... yelling.  It's the bottom of the 4th, it's May, it's a grounder to short, that's okay, it really doesn't have to be the best thing ever.
    • https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona
    • That was because of the bonus baby rule.  Today an 18-year-old would automatically go to Aberdeen or maybe Delmarva if really highly regarded.  Back then there was a rule that if you signed for more than $X you had to spend a whole year or two in the majors, kind of like the Rule 5 now.  So Kaline got 30 PAs in his age-18 season.  But he turned out okay. All time best players born in Maryland but never Orioles: Foxx, Kaline, Home Run Baker, Cupid Childs*, Charlie Keller, Bill Nicholson, Brian Jordan, Buck Herzog, Dave Foutz^, Billy Werber, Babe Phelps.  Pitchers include Lefty Grove (not really, he won over 100 games for the IL O's), HOFer Vic Willis, and Eddie Rommel.  Bobby Mathews never played for the Orioles, but he did play for the NA Baltimore Canaries in '72 when he went 25-18 and led the league in Ks and BBs. * Childs is a near-HOFer, and he did play six games for the Eastern League Orioles near the tail end of his career. ^ I bet none of you has heard of Foutz, despite his 1887 season where he hit .357, and went 25-12 on the mound. Won 41 games for St. Louis in '86. Note that I left off Mark Teixeira, because Mark Teixeira sucks. Nothing against Nick, but Kaline's career is kind of what we wanted Nick Markakis to be.  7-win peak early on, then above-average to near-MVP level for the better part of 20 years.  Big difference was Nick came up at 22, Kaline at 18.  Kaline was a bit odd in that his best year was at 20.  Had some other really good seasons, but never quite up to his batting title and .967 OPS year early on.
    • Palmer did pretty well against Kaline, who hit .217/.321/.370 off him.     But Kaline has become an underrated player over time.     You never really hear much about him.   He was an outstanding two-way player who was a 15-time all star and 10-time Gold Glover.    Players like that don’t grow on trees.   
  • Popular Contributors