atomic

MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

Japan league is playing all preseason games without fans.  They are going to suspend schools for 5 weeks.  

I guess they could play games in MLB without crowds and players could travel by chartered airplanes.   Seems like fans aren't going to want to games while the virus is active.   

• Upvote 1

It just depends on how widespread the coronavirus becomes.     It’s too soon to say whether drastic measures like that will become necessary.    They could, but I sure hope not.   

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Surely this goes in the MLB section. 

Orioles are affected.  It isn't MLB specific. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It just depends on how widespread the coronavirus becomes.     It’s too soon to say whether drastic measures like that will become necessary.    They could, but I sure hope not.   

Some guy who hasn't been to any of the affected countries or been around anyone whom has been to those countries is in the hospital in California with a confirmed case.  I think it is inevitable at this point. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Orioles are affected.  It isn't MLB specific. 

What's the purpose of this thread? Some people will say "yes, it's a possibility". Some people will say "no, there's no way". 

What have you accomplished in either case? 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

What's the purpose of this thread? Some people will say "yes, it's a possibility". Some people will say "no, there's no way". 

What have you accomplished in either case? 

If you aren't interested why bother replying?  I think there is quite a possibility the season get suspended or cancelled.  I was wondering what others think.  

Interesting to note that the Flu epedemic of 1918 started to hit in September and MLB season was shortened that year due to WW1.   Baltimore banned baseball games.   The World Series was played though. Evidently Babe Ruth got the Flu.   The NHL Cancelled the Stanley Cup. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you aren't interested why bother replying?  I think there is quite a possibility the season get suspended or cancelled.  I was wondering what others think.  

Were you? You seem more intent on just saying everyone else's opinion is wrong, but have at it. I'll move along.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Were you? You seem more intent on just saying everyone else's opinion is wrong, but have at it. I'll move along.

I have not offered an opinion on whether the season will be cancelled or played without fans.  Your posts have nothing to do with anything I posted.  You are anger is unrelated to my post.  

Fact: Japanese league is playing preseason without fans.

Fact: Virus is spreading. 

Fact: People are fearful of the virus in this country.

Could MLB do it?

Sure.  But it'd have to be pretty bad.

Happy to help.  lmk if you have any other questions.

This thread is way premature but not crazy.  Definitely belongs in MLB though.

• Upvote 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I like the position we’re in a lot. I’d be very excited about any of the top 4 guys on that  board. 
    • MLB doesn't think so.  The Orioles are awarded a competitive balance pick every year.
    • Its will be a  lot easier for the O's to add a quality FA bat than a quality FA pitcher IMO Nationals market is much bigger than the O's market.  On a normal business day you can't even get to Camden Yards from Northern Virginia for a 7 pm game unless you are willing to spend 2 plus hours in bumper to bumper traffic.  Believe me, I have tried. Its a major deterrent.  And its exhausting.
    • Baltimore is mid market team, as the Nationals are. If the Orioles had a strong team, and was that one piece away, then I see them being bale to add 6/155, hell, they added Davis, didnt they. While it was money foolishly spent, it was spent. I see Elias wanting to build this team for the long haul, and once they get a solid core going, then spend the money for quality FAs to complete the roster. IMO  
    • While I understand the history of developing pitching both in Baltimore and elsewhere,  I think its important for the O's to draft and develop pitching more than most teams for several reasons. 1) Baltimore is not the 3th largest market in the country like Chicago or the 4th largest like Houston.  The O's fan base is limited by Washington to the south and Philadelphia to the north.   That limits the amount of revenue they will have for veteran pitching.    It seens unlike that they will spend 6/155m or a Lester type, Verlander or Scherzer.  2) Not only is there a limit to the funds the O's will have to spend, but also Camden Yard is a place most free agent pitchers will avoid if possible.   Couple the limited funds with the Park and there is double the reasons for quality FA pitching to go elsewhere; 3) Elias know all this.  That is why he has beefed up his player development staff. Boosted his Analytics Department and paid to bring Holt in to lead the development of the pitchers in  the minors and the majors.  There is a lot more pitching development staff than in the past.  Elias is gear up to develop  players and pitchers have lead that development in the last year. Might the O's add some veteran pitching when they are ready to contend? Sure.   But that its probably  not basis for Elias contention plan.  Developing pitchers is a key part of the plan.  Adding quality pitching prospects is a big part of that plan.   After not adding a pitcher until the 8th round in last years draft and with this years draft being more pitching rich,  I think we will see Elias add pitchers in this draft whether it is the #2, #30, #39 picks after that.
    • “One of the most talented bats in this draft, the always hitting Nick Gonzales is a top prospect in 2020. After going on one of the craziest runs in college baseball of the past three years, Gonzales has shown the bat isn’t just boosted by Amateur Coors (Presley Askew Field) as shown in an outstanding summer on the Cape. Gonzales has excellent bat control and finds the barrel easy with raw power that shines. Although some questions remain for his legitimacy to be more than just a line drive hitter at the professional level. Gonzales has a very good sense of the strike zone, with a 45/30 BB/K last year. Although he has improved in that area and New Mexico State played him in short stop this year, Gonzales still gives up some defensive errors here and there. The arm isn’t quite strong enough to play elsewhere than second base but the bat more than makes up for it. Some questions still show up about Gonzales’ physical ceiling as he is pretty well built already at 5’10” 190, adding on to the question of if Gonzales is better suited as a gap-to-gap hitter at the next level. Regardless, Gonzales is a very talented player and can become a very useful player at the professional level.””
  • Popular Contributors