atomic

MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I do not believe the 3.5 national value, who actually be that high here. If you notice, different parts of the world have much higher than 3.5 percent.

Any number higher than 1 is too many and we have already gone over that number in the US.

Thankfully, so far, with the 16+ cases in the DMV  do they expect any of those to die, nor has any.

Just because 30 million get the flu every year, mean, 30 million will get the coronavirus.

So far there have been 822 documented cases of the coronavirus in the United States causing 28 deaths.  That's a 3.4% mortality rate.  Since the flu and the coronavirus seem to be transmitted in much the same ways, I think it's prudent to plan for the worst and hope for the best.  

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I do not believe the 3.5 national value, who actually be that high here. If you notice, different parts of the world have much higher than 3.5 percent.

Any number higher than 1 is too many and we have already gone over that number in the US.

Thankfully, so far, with the 16+ cases in the DMV  do they expect any of those to die, nor has any.

Just because 30 million get the flu every year, mean, 30 million will get the coronavirus.

They expect a lot more than 30 million to get it because unlike the Flu there is no vaccine and no one has immunity from getting it  previous years.   There is a higher transmission rate.  We are two weeks behind Italy. Just check out what is happening there and you will see two weeks into your future.

IF you are under 40 and in good health and you have no family that is over 50 or has high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, or any other serious problems you don't have much to worry about.  Those of us over 50 and those of us with close relatives in their 80's have more to worry about. 

Either way you slice it there will be a big recession.  No amount of tax cuts is going to solve it.  Who is going to have people renovating their home in the middle of pandemic?  I was going to have a kitchen remodel done but I will hold off on that now.  People won't be buying new cars.  No one going to concert or seeing sporting events.   People will lose their jobs.  This will effect almost everyone.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

They expect a lot more than 30 million to get it because unlike the Flu there is no vaccine and no one has immunity from getting it  previous years.   There is a higher transmission rate.  We are two weeks behind Italy. Just check out what is happening there and you will see two weeks into your future.

IF you are under 40 and in good health and you have no family that is over 50 or has high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, or any other serious problems you don't have much to worry about.  Those of us over 50 and those of us with close relatives in their 80's have more to worry about. 

Either way you slice it there will be a big recession.  No amount of tax cuts is going to solve it.  Who is going to have people renovating their home in the middle of pandemic?  I was going to have a kitchen remodel done but I will hold off on that now.  People won't be buying new cars.  No one going to concert or seeing sporting events.   People will lose their jobs.  This will effect almost everyone.

While I think those things are possible I think there's obviously still a lot we don't know about the virus.  From what I've read it's still possible that containment will mitigate the impact. From what I've read we don't know if new cases will be reduced as we head into spring.  This thread started by asking the question will "Could the Major League Season be cancelled or postponed."  I think it's definitely possible.  

In discussing this topic I think we have to be careful of straying too far into economics and government response, etc. because it starts to turn the thread political and that never works out.  Plus, there are plenty of other places we can do that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

While I think those things are possible I think there's obviously still a lot we don't know about the virus.  From what I've read it's still possible that containment will mitigate the impact. From what I've read we don't know if new cases will be reduced as we head into spring.  This thread started by asking the question will "Could the Major League Season be cancelled or postponed."  I think it's definitely possible.  

In discussing this topic I think we have to be careful of straying too far into economics and government response, etc. because it starts to turn the thread political and that never works out.  Plus, there are plenty of other places we can do that.  

It probably should go under the RANT thread?

1 hour ago, MongoBoy said:

It probably should go under the RANT thread?

No, it really she just be taken elsewhere as per the Hangout Rules and Policies thread under OH Information, Feedback and Help.  To wit:  

15.) No political or religious threads/discussions.

• Upvote 1

All University of MD schools have cancelled classes this week.  And will go remote after Spring break.  Loyola and Johns Hopkins go online only.

People say I am alarmist but evidently the colleges are more alarmist than me.

12 hours ago, atomic said:

I think we are handling it more like Iran than South Korea.  I am not sure why the President is so much more interest in a stimulus package than working on containing the disease.  Stimulus package won't do anything for the economy if the country is closed like Italy is right now. 

I thought we had a policy against political posts. 

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, atomic said:

All University of MD schools have cancelled classes this week.  And will go remote after Spring break.  Loyola and Johns Hopkins go online only.

I think you are just a stupid person, not alarmist. 

• Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am sure that you understand and agree, Rick, but for those unfamiliar with the term...

Baltimore is NOT in the DMV.

The DMV is DC and its suburbs in Maryland and Virginia. It does not include Baltimore, the Eastern Shore or Western Maryland, nor most of Virginia.

13 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

No, it really she just be taken elsewhere as per the Hangout Rules and Policies thread under OH Information, Feedback and Help.  To wit:  

15.) No political or religious threads/discussions.

It's very simple. Keep the politics or political responses out of it and address the facts.  Or really don't post in the thread. I'll have a quick draw. 

• Upvote 1

"[The Seattle Times] BREAKING: To try to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Jay Inslee is expected Wednesday to restrict gatherings of more than 250 people, including at sporting events and concerts."

Seems that the Mariners won't have fans at their games.  

12 hours ago, atomic said:

I would say fear-mongerer as well.

56 minutes ago, atomic said:

"[The Seattle Times] BREAKING: To try to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Jay Inslee is expected Wednesday to restrict gatherings of more than 250 people, including at sporting events and concerts."

Seems that the Mariners won't have fans at their games.  

While watching the returns last night, they mentioned that the Governor of Michigan plans to do something similar. Though I haven’t been able to find a link.

The Seattle Dragons are scheduled to play this Friday.

Any idea how many people were in the stadium when the O’s played the White Sox?