Sign in to follow this  
Eric-OH

Sarasota Notebook 2/27

26 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Do you mean uncomfortable like it really hurt? Or uncomfortable like there was some tension? I'm assuming the former.

P.S. LOVE that you plug the Hangout with every tweet! Hopefully some of the guys who tweet will notice and check the place out. Better yet maybe post! 🤩

He screamed ‘OW!  That was my indicator of him being hurt.  No tension, these guys get along and we’re smiling in a second.  Hall walked off and Grayson threw a few more and was done for the day.  
I’m down to help the Hangout too. Of course.  I’m grateful of the opportunity so I’ll do whatever I can.  
If that happens and we can get to know them a little it would certainly be fun! They’re out there grinding to climb that ladder but definitely building and enhancing relationships with each other.  I appreciate the support too.  The readers have given me ideas as far as what to look for so I’ve got my material and lots of yours in mind when I get out there.  Today was finally pitchers galore so I hope the notebook reflected that.  

• Upvote 1

The most impressive pitcher was Baumann.  This guy impressed me so much in 2017 just watching one start I told so many of my friends to expect big things and soon.  I’m not patting myself on the back but he may be even better than we realize and his stuff moved with funk, dive, drop and plane changing spin.  His hands as he releases have more function than violence and I bet his control gets a hair better because of this.  My notes said ‘Warming up, a show!  He also just seems like a guy who will be unflappable and focused on a high level.  I’ve seen one facial expression...ready.

Nicely written.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Nicely written.

" I’ve seen one facial expression...ready. "

That describes it so well! And is GREAT news too.

Baumann Bowie or Norfolk is one of the barnburners of the season opening assignments.  I think they'll send him back, and he'll be ornery.  Cherry picking for his Eastern League workload, his H/9 was 2nd and HR/9 was 3rd out of the 60ish pitchers who got to 70 innings, and that was his AA debut in the warmer summer months.  That AA H/9 was better than Hall's Frederick one, where we know to some extent batters just didn't swing.  Arguably he blew through AA, with hot stuff scouting reports backing it up.

He's established himself to me on a tier of his own, and feels like he has a really wide range of outcomes - probably the biggest wildcard for how high will the Orioles peak farm ranking get before Rutschman exits the list next year. 

Assuming they are rotation mates, it won't take more than a couple Baumann gems and Hall 4-5 BB outings to put their pecking order in a little doubt in my mind.  They are both mid-September birthdays 3 years apart.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, scOtt said:

" I’ve seen one facial expression...ready. "

That describes it so well! And is GREAT news too.

Also remember this isn’t a guy who sits 90-91.  He can roll mid 90’s for innings and show stuff to mix off of it and finish.  It’s hard to not pull for a guy who’s so obviously trying to maximize his skills along with his focus.  If he’s taken to coaching and his control can go from decent to elite level he may get even better.  Mound presence plus stuff and command make for a nice window.   

12 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Baumann Bowie or Norfolk is one of the barnburners of the season opening assignments.  I think they'll send him back, and he'll be ornery.  Cherry picking for his Eastern League workload, his H/9 was 2nd and HR/9 was 3rd out of the 60ish pitchers who got to 70 innings, and that was his AA debut in the warmer summer months.  That AA H/9 was better than Hall's Frederick one, where we know to some extent batters just didn't swing.  Arguably he blew through AA, with hot stuff scouting reports backing it up.

He's established himself to me on a tier of his own, and feels like he has a really wide range of outcomes - probably the biggest wildcard for how high will the Orioles peak farm ranking get before Rutschman exits the list next year. 

Assuming they are rotation mates, it won't take more than a couple Baumann gems and Hall 4-5 BB outings to put their pecking order in a little doubt in my mind.  They are both mid-September birthdays 3 years apart.

That’s a worthwhile take, and not something to entirely rule out.  They pitch with different levels of maturity today so perhaps you’re more right than you think, but I value the speed changing ease that Hall can utilize and their stuff is otherwise close to even.  Ranking them closely is intelligent and there’s data to support you too.  Still, it’s hard to not have Hall higher due to ceiling height potential alone....it could end up higher and he’s further from his peak than Baumann is; two significant factors.  

I don’t see him thriving at Norfolk initially either and he may not be in the class of their rotation at the season’s start.  8 to 13 starts into the year however it might be a case of him going up and never looking back.   Strong supporters of him like you and I probably expect this on some level.  That’s a mean 1-2 punch and I’m happy to have both in our colors.  I want lots of innings and lots of learning if there’s adversity.  Ornery Baumann could be devastating and having him in a tier by himself is logical.