Frobby

Ryan Mountcastle 2020

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Great article today on the work Mountcastle has put in over several offseasons:   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-ryan-mountcastle-20200227-3gcaddwbojb7xe3mvuvw4jsqxq-story.html%3foutputType=amp

He had a great day today, with two doubles and a homer.    

Good article.  Seems a player who does what it takes to succeed. 

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

I have no doubt he'll hit.  Be great if he can do something else useful.

Young Mark Trumbo as a comp? Can play 1B, 3B, and RF, but none of them well. 

Trumbo AAA .297/.365/.949, 24% K rate

Mountcastle AAA .312/.344/.871, 25% K rate

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mountcastle was two years younger.

I'll call PCL a wash with the 2019 gopher ball.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Trumbo is a minor league history I enjoy.  18th round high school bat - he worked it 5.5 full seasons before his first cup of coffee.  He has 3000-some minors PA's, nearly as many as his 4000-some in the show.

I do see Mountcastle is up to 4.25, and this is 1st time I've appreciated the 280/290/300/310 BA progression.  I feel like Mountcastle is Nuke Laloosh to Trumbo's Crash.  Maybe for a AAA finale Mountcastle will get his team a rainout.

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, possibly.  Mountcastle is not a bad athlete but he doesn't throw well.  I wanted them to try him at 2B for a while, since he started out at SS/3B.  I think he could become a solid LF.  That bat though, loudest MiLB bat I ever heard.

20 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Yeah, possibly.  Mountcastle is not a bad athlete but he doesn't throw well.  I wanted them to try him at 2B for a while, since he started out at SS/3B.  I think he could become a solid LF.  That bat though, loudest MiLB bat I ever heard.

He does look more fluid in LF than Trumbo for sure, but doesn't have Trumbo's arm. 

I'm glad to see him working to improve.  That said, I think he's still a 1B/DH at the end of the day.  That's not a bad thing, it's just that the team needs to make a decision on whether his bat will justify moving Mancini or Nunez.  I don't see room for all three of them.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Then how did he even played SS before being drafted?????????

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Then how did he even played SS before being drafted?????????

Because "doesn't throw well" is relative. Not throwing well in comparison to professional baseball players is much different than in comparison to high schoolers, even down in Florida. He must have been athletic enough to field the position and the arms was good enough to get by against much lesser competition.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Because "doesn't throw well" is relative. Not throwing well in comparison to professional baseball players is much different than in comparison to high schoolers, even down in Florida. He must have been athletic enough to field the position and the arms was good enough to get by against much lesser competition.

Good point.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

On a lot of HS teams, whoever the best athlete is winds up at shortstop.

The Orioles drafted about 20 SS's last year.   Probably 5 of them actually wind up at that position.