Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

TT: Early Look at Positional Battles

Recommended Posts

Tony, regarding these position battles. I am assuming that guys you do not mention at all are guys you don’t think have any chance?

At this point, do you think it is still too early to determine whether presence on the 40 man roster means anything?

Valaika,, Velasquez, Martin seem to have surpassed Urena and Urias in the utility race. Would that be an accurate assumption?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

Tony, regarding these position battles. I am assuming that guys you do not mention at all are guys you don’t think have any chance?

At this point, do you think it is still too early to determine whether presence on the 40 man roster means anything?

Valaika,, Velasquez, Martin seem to have surpassed Urena and Urias in the utility race. Would that be an accurate assumption?

Yeah, if I didn't mention them then I don't think they are really in hunt for jobs. I don't think Kremer has any chance of sticking and I doubt Akin is going to stick, but wanted to mention how they are getting long looks.

As for the 40-man, there are several guys that could be DFA'd tomorrow and I doubt anyone would blink an eye so unless it comes down to two guys being even and you keep them both by sending the NRI guy down, then that's where that comes into consideration.

Judging by the amount of PAs and OppQual, I would say yes to the utility guys. I think they really want Velasquez to stick because of his versatility. After that, it's anyone job. I doubt too many people would be upset if Urias was DFA'd for Valiaka. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony, you mentioned Herrera at 1B.  the guy has played more 2B in his career than anything, and also can play 3B and OF.  Do you think he might be in the Utility mix?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Tony, you mentioned Herrera at 1B.  the guy has played more 2B in his career than anything, and also can play 3B and OF.  Do you think he might be in the Utility mix?

Just the couple games I've watched, Herrara (learned to spell his name too 😛 ) has looked more than serviceable at 1B, altho I'd guess he's expected to play there only occasionally, and elsewhere in the IF much more. Just off my shoddy memory, he's hit a little too, not spectacular but a little.

 

 

Tony, very interesting angle on your judgements! Based on quality of opponents. I've never seen this before. Like a boss as always!

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Tony, Severino has had two passed Balls already this spring, and his defense wasn’t really very good last year.

What chance Holaday actually wins the starting job outright?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philip said:

Hey Tony, Severino has had two passed Balls already this spring, and his defense wasn’t really very good last year.

What chance Holaday actually wins the starting job outright?

If Holoday was the same age as Severino I'd say it could be an open competition, but the Orioles need to see what they have in Severino and see if he can improve in things like PBs and Framing. I do think Holoday has a decent shot winning the backup spot.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of the non roster players have a great chance of making the opening day roster IMO.   That is LeBlanc and Milone.   The O's need the starters.   Urias and Wynns are the two most vulnerable players on the 40 man IMO.

The O's have mainly a right handed hitting lineup.   Hays, Mancini, Nunez, Mountcastle, Alberto, Iglesias, Severino are all right handed hitters.  Davis and  switch hitting Santander are the only regulars that hit lefty after Mountcastle is  promoted and Nunez plays 3B.  So having lefties that can fill in is important.  On the bench there is lefty Ruiz.  That gives lefty Sisco an edge over Holaday.    Switchhitting Mullins has a  chance  to make the  26 man as a backup player.  Velazquez being a switch-hitter adds to his chances over righthand hitting, non rostered Valaika.     

DJ Stewart or Smith are both lefties but whoever wins the OD job is probably sent down when Mountcastle is promoted.   Or they could add Valaika  to begin the season and demote him when Mountcastle is promoted.  Valaika has an option.   If that happens then Lakins is probably the most likely to be DFA'd to make room for Valaika.

The other thing that is nice about this alignment is that Mullins and Velazquez can be defensive replacements for Mancini and Santander in the corners giving the O's three center fielder types  in the late innings when they are ahead.   And Ruiz can defensively replace Nunez.

Just my current thinking.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Two of the non roster players have a great chance of making the opening day roster IMO.   That is LeBlanc and Milone.   The O's need the starters.   Urias and Wynns are the two most vulnerable players on the 40 man IMO.

The O's have mainly a right handed hitting lineup.   Hays, Mancini, Nunez, Mountcastle, Alberto, Iglesias, Severino are all right handed hitters.  Davis and  switch hitting Santander are the only regulars that hit lefty after Mountcastle is  promoted and Nunez plays 3B.  So having lefties that can fill in is important.  On the bench there is lefty Ruiz.  That gives lefty Sisco an edge over Holaday.    Switchhitting Mullins has a  chance  to make the  26 man as a backup player.  Velazquez being a switch-hitter adds to his chances over righthand hitting, non rostered Valaika.     

DJ Stewart or Smith are both lefties but whoever wins the OD job is probably sent down when Mountcastle is promoted.   Or they could add Valaika  to begin the season and demote him when Mountcastle is promoted.  Valaika has an option.   If that happens then Lakins is probably the most likely to be DFA'd to make room for Valaika.

The other thing that is nice about this alignment is that Mullins and Velazquez can be defensive replacements for Mancini and Santander in the corners giving the O's three center fielder types  in the late innings when they are ahead.   And Ruiz can defensively replace Nunez.

Just my current thinking.

Good thinking, but I don’t know if we go in that direction because of the rebuild. We may favor Valaika, Williams, and even Holaday, so that the other guys can get full time reps in AAA instead of being bench bats. We shall see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good thinking, but I don’t know if we go in that direction because of the rebuild. We may favor Valaika, Williams, and even Holaday, so that the other guys can get full time reps in AAA instead of being bench bats. We shall see. 

If the O's went that way along with keeping LeBlanc and Milone,  the O's would have to DFA 5 players to make room.    I don't see Elias doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • 60, again, with the Blue Jays still playing their home games in Buffalo because Canada still won't be allowing anybody in from the United States.
    • The Baltimore Orioles will not win the World Series in 2020. This is how the Orioles might win the World Series next year (2021) 1. Trevor Bauer (SP) - $35 million. The biggest need for the Orioles a TOR starter.  Bauer is the best FA pitcher on the market, and will command a large contract.  2. DJ LeMahieu (2B/3B) - $15 million.   Would have to decide whether it makes more sense to have LeMaheiu at third and Alberto at second or vice versa. 3. Alex Colome (CP) - $10 million.  While the Orioles bullpen did performances, there was a real problem with closer.   Colome fulfills this need.   Rotation: 1. Bauer 2. Means 3. Cobb 4/5 Two of Akin/Kremer/Eschelman Bullpen: Lakins/Scott/Armstrong/Fry CP: Colome Lineup: C  Two of Severino/Sisco/Rustchman 1B Mancini 2B LeMahieu SS Iglesias 3B Alberto LF Mountcastle/Stewart CF Hays/Mullins RF Santander DH - platoon of Stewart/Severino/Sisco/etc.                
    • You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by.
    • I was going to ask what makes him toolsy besides the power but Hoosiers post suggests he has speed and can go get the ball.  Sounds like the arm is average at best.  Is there any chance he's a potential CF?
    • I went for more accomplised over shiny new thing, so Bannon/Zimmerman.  However, something about Stauffer intrigues me, age, size, K's, under the radar. His is the only name I was surprised to see in the poll so I kinda hope it's him.
    • What TV revenue? The TV networks pay what they pay for postseason games.   National coverage of regular season games does nothing but fill air time and gets very low ratings.   In a typical season a nationally televised NFL preseason game will get higher ratings than nearly any regular season MLB game.   Fox & TBS pays MLB for the All Star Game and the postseason, they would probably not care if they didn't broadcast any regular season games because no one watches them.   Most baseball fans watch their local team every day.   ESPN is the same except that they do need something to fill programming hours on their networks so they have a little more motivation to broadcast regular season games.   But for the most part, the national TV contracts exist for the postseason.   And MLB knows it so they will try to have as short a season possible because they know Fox & company will still ante up almost as much.   Cut the season in half and Fox will still pay 90% of what they pay now because all they really want is to broadcast the big games in October. Yes, the local TV revenue exists.   Except in a lot of cases (Balt/Wash, NYY, Bos, many others) it's a team owned network paying the team for the games, so it's just a paper transaction. A higher chunk of MLB revenue comes from actual attendance than any other major sport.   So it's the one sport where the owners have a strong motivation for a shorter season.  
    • I disagree that he's so important that a team would have to overpay for him to be dealt.  He's still pretty much the same guy the O's got on the cheap last year. Anyway, bad defense encourages the pitchers to strike batters out!
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...