BamaOsFan

Davis. What do you see different with him?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Other than 23M?

I think the key take on this was admitting that he had talks with his wife about quitting this winter.  That tells me that he may have reached the point where the embarrassment of being the worst player in baseball may not be worth the money anymore.

If that is the case why not give it one more year with a little help.  If he gets caught he is out of the game just like if he quit and in both cases he is losing out on the rest of his contract.  If I'm him I would say, what the heck, probably worth the risk.  

Just now, turtlebowl said:

I think the key take on this was admitting that he had talks with his wife about quitting this winter.  That tells me that he may have reached the point where the embarrassment of being the worst player in baseball may not be worth the money anymore.

If that is the case why not give it one more year with a little help.  If he gets caught he is out of the game just like if he quit and in both cases he is losing out on the rest of his contract.  If I'm him I would say, what the heck, probably worth the risk.  

But if you get caught cheating isn't that just as embarrassing?  And no 23M.

As a player that has been in violation of the program he is subject to increased testing.

I wish we had statcast data on this. We've seen his launch angle decrease over time as well. Was 17.2 in 2015 and has gone down, with 14.2 being his average angle in 2019

Its all pretty irrelevant until the season starts and he sees real pitching, he's getting roughly BP tossed to him now. 

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its all pretty irrelevant until the season starts and he sees real pitching, he's getting roughly BP tossed to him now. 

This could just be Chris Davis' best Jake Fox imitation. It's good to see him hitting the ball well, but it means absolutely nothing. I remember Kyle Boller looking like a franchise quarterback during the preseason for the Ravens. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This could just be Chris Davis' best Jake Fox imitation. It's good to see him hitting the ball well, but it means absolutely nothing. I remember Kyle Boller looking like a franchise quarterback during the preseason for the Ravens. 

And we still have a month to go yet. If I start reading scouting reports saying his bat speed looks much improved, I might be more inclined to believe. 

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

And we still have a month to go yet. If I start reading scouting reports saying his bat speed looks much improved, I might be more inclined to believe. 

That and other metrics like launch angle that @MDtransplant757 mentioned. 

What I see is simply that's he's making contact. He's actually fouling some balls off and he has two sac flies. I like that stuff even more than I like his home runs, to be honest. He hasn't had a called 3rd strike yet if I recall, and if he has it definitely wasn't a fastball down the middle. His walks have seemed earned rather than him getting lucky guessing pitches. 

He's actually seeing the ball, in other words. That's what I'm seeing. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

What I see is simply that's he's making contact. He's actually fouling some balls off and he has two sac flies. I like that stuff even more than I like his home runs, to be honest. He hasn't had a called 3rd strike yet if I recall, and if he has it definitely wasn't a fastball down the middle. His walks have seemed earned rather than him getting lucky guessing pitches. 

He's actually seeing the ball, in other words. That's what I'm seeing. 

0 K's again today. Definitely.something different. I hope he got an exemption for his new prescription.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I remember Kyle Boller looking like a franchise quarterback during the preseason for the Ravens. 

He was no Babe Laufenberg.

He's getting walks and not striking out. Being more selective, but then this early it might not be that difficult,

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

6 BBs/1 K in 9 official ABs.

His ABs are 5 hits, 1K, 3 outs. Six walks and two sac flies are not counted as at bats.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

First time I've seen this mentioned.  "The former All-Star and two-time home run champion's stock had fallen so far in recent years he considered retirement this winter, with three years and around $93 million left on his contract."

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-players-impressing-the-most-this-spring

It was stated by Davis in an interview earlier this spring, though not as starkly as is written in this article.