Sign in to follow this  
Eric-OH

Sarasota Notebook 3/3-Updated Throughout Day

.4 seconds is quite a bit to beat the second place guy in a sprint. Wonder if the coach was a hare off in starting the watch?OIP.ir7NTGB9y7I33a6pyHi0CgHaEn?w=273&h=1

Edited by OsEatAlEast

I have a request, a lot of these guys I’m not familiar with, and I am presuming that they are just organizational filler or very young guys who haven’t really started to make a name for themselves. Would it be too awkward to ask you to identify guys? The first time you identify the guy you could say in parentheses AA or A or filler or something like that?

Actually, if you could just share the link to where we could look these guys up, that would probably be a timesaver for you. It’s surprising how many these guys I have never heard of.

42 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

.4 seconds is quite a bit to beat the second place guy in a sprint. Wonder if the coach was a hare off in starting the watch?OIP.ir7NTGB9y7I33a6pyHi0CgHaEn?w=273&h=1

Pretty funny and I agree.  It’s reasonable to assume that.  Mase on base can absolutely fly.  The coaches/players were all audibly impressed.  He got to second from first so fast it’s like a blink.  Fans should flock to his games to watch his quickly developing skills.  Also, today is his birthday so maybe he’s revved up.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have a request, a lot of these guys I’m not familiar with, and I am presuming that they are just organizational filler or very young guys who haven’t really started to make a name for themselves. Would it be too awkward to ask you to identify guys? The first time you identify the guy you could say in parentheses AA or A or filler or something like that?

Actually, if you could just share the link to where we could look these guys up, that would probably be a timesaver for you. It’s surprising how many these guys I have never heard of.

Philip I’d be glad to.  Thanks for letting me know and one of the reasons I decided to do this was to let fans know a little bit more about these players.  I’m happy that you want more.  
It is my responsibility to fill you in as much as I can and let you judge for yourself, I’m glad for the feedback.  
To be honest, I’m familiarizing myself with this group too and guys keep checking in so the list only grows.  I’ll do my best to provide bios/details as I can for you.  Other intelligent posters can fill in the gaps too.  

In a year or two, if I do my job well, you’ll know a little more about these guys than you do today.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mountain Bird said:

Really like the updates, Eric. Thanks!

You’re welcome.  It’s a wonderful baseball environment and I’m happy to share what I see for you.  It would be great if every fan could take in what’s going on here so that’s my mindset and I try to share everything I can.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Philip said:

Click this link and scroll down to “organizational batting” or “organizational pitching.”    It gives alphabetical listings of every player in the organization as of the end of 2019, including the levels they played at and their combined stats.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/affiliate.cgi?id=BAL&year=2019

It won’t include players who weren’t with the organization in 2019.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Click this link and scroll down to “organizational batting” or “organizational pitching.”    It gives alphabetical listings of every player in the organization as of the end of 2019, including the levels they played at and their combined stats.

That's a great list Frobby. I've just started using bbref and still not sure where to find everything.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, scOtt said:

That's a great list Frobby. I've just started using bbref and still not sure where to find everything.

file13.jpg

PS. Frobby thanks and that is a great list, just cant help poking at Scotty. :) :) :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thank you, I have bookmarked it. I wonder why these guys hang around? We’re not getting paid anything, literally a guy Working at Walmart makes more money.

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

Thank you, I have bookmarked it. I wonder why these guys hang around? We’re not getting paid anything, literally a guy Working at Walmart makes more money.

these guys truly have the love of the game in their blood, and some would pay to play, if they could afford to.

3 hours ago, scOtt said:

ScOtt, you've been on our site since I believe the late 90s. You can not tell me that you just started using BB ref. I refuse to believe that from a longtime Hangouter. :D 

• Haha 4

Question for @Eric-OH about Rom - any idea where his fastball was topping out, and did you see him use his rumored new pitch in (simulated) game action?   Rom happens to be a guy I glommed onto during his GCL season in 2018 (I think I ranked him 15th in my personal rankings that winter), so I’m hoping he continues to progress and prove me right!

Just now, Frobby said:

Question for @Eric-OH about Rom - any idea where his fastball was topping out, and did you see him use his rumored new pitch in (simulated) game action?   Rom happens to be a guy I glommed onto during his GCL season in 2018 (I think I ranked him 15th in my personal rankings that winter), so I’m hoping he continues to progress and prove me right!

I have reason to look for the same stuff.  The guys with the guns were gone by the time he pitched so no on the speed.  I’d estimate that maybe two pitches I saw had clear split like action.  I sit 15-18 feet behind the fence (!) and centered. One was in a hittable spot low but got a swinging strike.  The other one buried at the hitter’s toes and also got a swinging strike. What I see is he’s tough on both sides but lefties just might not see enough to judge the path/spin.  I’ll find out some way to get digits on him because you’re not the only one who is curious.  

I’m not putting him at number one with a bullet, but your speculation might be on track and he’s making progress.  Other guys are more on and warmed today, but he is not and his results are noticeable.  
Every starter got one ‘inning’ but when he came off he wanted some more-hungry!

So even though the umps had just left they gave him a few more batters to get through.  He operates with a calm and confident demeanor.  Not rattled when he misses location.  Seems like a very nice guy but out there to perform.  I’ve seen nothing but positives.

Not every guy looked the part in the O’s orange uniform. He seemed to fit in pretty well.

• Upvote 1