Jump to content
interloper

Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

Recommended Posts

BUST!!!! 

Just kidding. 

But is anyone seeing anything in these limited ABs? It seems like he might have some swing holes in the very, very brief times I've seen him. I'm not in love with his batting stance either.

But he doesn't know any of the pitchers and they aren't giving him consistent ABs, so it's impossible to say anything of course.

They gave Cervenka 4 ABs at DH yesterday for some reason when it feels like that would have been a great spot to get Adley some consistent looks. Can't expect him to hit if he's only ever getting 2 ABs every 3 games. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a little concerned not just because of this spring but the combination of last year in the minors and this spring. He hasn’t shown anything at the plate. I did see some video of some good looking bp sessions but that’s the only positive I can think of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jrobb21613 said:

I’m a little concerned not just because of this spring but the combination of last year in the minors and this spring. He hasn’t shown anything at the plate. I did see some video of some good looking bp sessions but that’s the only positive I can think of. 

Not too worried, but I’d be happier if he were hitting like Andrew Vaughn (.364/.553/.727 through yesterday in 16 PA).    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, interloper said:

They gave Cervenka 4 ABs at DH yesterday for some reason when it feels like that would have been a great spot to get Adley some consistent looks. Can't expect him to hit if he's only ever getting 2 ABs every 3 games. 

I don’t think they care about getting him some consistent looks. He’s not competing for a spot and is probably going to the minor league camp by the end of the week to work with pitchers (or whenever they want to start that process.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

I’m a little concerned not just because of this spring but the combination of last year in the minors and this spring. He hasn’t shown anything at the plate. I did see some video of some good looking bp sessions but that’s the only positive I can think of. 

You know who tore up the minors? Matt Wieters. It's way too early to be concerned about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not too worried, but I’d be happier if he were hitting like Andrew Vaughn (.364/.553/.727 through yesterday in 16 PA).    

In all fairness, Vaughn was considered the best bat in the draft. It's really his only skillset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mean four time All-star, 11 year ML player Matt Wieters?

What's your point? It wasnt a knock on Wieters. But he was pegged an All-Time type hitter, and he tore up the minors. What you do good or bad in the minors doesn't automatically make you a HOF or a bust was my point. And I dont consider Wieters a bust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not too worried, but I’d be happier if he were hitting like Andrew Vaughn (.364/.553/.727 through yesterday in 16 PA).    

Vaughn significantly out hit him in his pro debut as well. I'll start to get worried if we're a few months into the season and he's still not hitting like we expected, but the one thing that has been consistent with Rutschman since he's been a pro is a lack of hitting minus a 10-game stretch in Aberdeen. 

People can talk about all the great BP and his good looking at bats all they want, at the end of the day, he's a college 1-1 pick and the expectations are for him to produce at an impact level. 

Vaughn was considered by many to be the most ready impact bat, but Elias is on record as saying he thought Rutschman had the better bat. Obviously it's very, very early and I'm not saying he won't still turn into that guy, but he's failing his early tests and looks.

I'm honestly a little shocked by his lack of offensive success so far. We kinda looked over it last year because of the mono, but he's been bad this spring against some minor league competition and he was bad when he got to Delmarva after that 10-game hot streak. when it seemed like he was finally recovered from his mono.

It's spring training, and it's doesn't matter overall, but it would be nice to see him get some hits giving us a glimpse of what people should be getting excited about.

Am I worried, nope. Have I been disappointed so far, yeah, because I expected a guy who was going to be close to being ready and we have a guy who hasn't really hit anywhere in the pros outside of that 10-game Aberdeen stretch. 

I really hope this is just some kind of rust or something we don't know about it and when he starts the year this year he starts hitting and doesn't look back. But if we're a few months into his season and he hasn't hit yet, I'm going to be officially worried.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Vaughn significantly out hit him in his pro debut as well. I'll start to get worried if we're a few months into the season and he's still not hitting like we expected, but the one thing that has been consistent with Rutschman since he's been a pro is a lack of hitting minus a 10-game stretch in Aberdeen. 

People can talk about all the great BP and his good looking at bats all they want, at the end of the day, he's a college 1-1 pick and the expectations are for him to produce at an impact level. 

Vaughn was considered by many to be the most ready impact bat, but Elias is on record as saying he thought Rutschman had the better bat. Obviously it's very, very early and I'm not saying he won't still turn into that guy, but he's failing his early tests and looks.

I'm honestly a little shocked by his lack of offensive success so far. We kinda looked over it last year because of the mono, but he's been bad this spring against some minor league competition and he was bad when he got to Delmarva after that 10-game hot streak. when it seemed like he was finally recovered from his mono.

It's spring training, and it's doesn't matter overall, but it would be nice to see him get some hits giving us a glimpse of what people should be getting excited about.

Am I worried, nope. Have I been disappointed so far, yeah, because I expected a guy who was going to be close to being ready and we have a guy who hasn't really hit anywhere in the pros outside of that 10-game Aberdeen stretch. 

I really hope this is just some kind of rust or something we don't know about it and when he starts the year this year he starts hitting and doesn't look back. But if we're a few months into his season and he hasn't hit yet, I'm going to be officially worried.

I know he didn't catch any, but this year he will be learning new pitchers and getting used to catching in the Pros. How much leniency does he get with the bat in that regard? Should he get any adjustment time for that? Does that really have that huge of an affect on his offense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I know he didn't catch any, but this year he will be learning new pitchers and getting used to catching in the Pros. How much leniency does he get with the bat in that regard? Should he get any adjustment time for that? Does that really have that huge of an affect on his offense?

None from me. He was drafted to be an impact hitting catcher, if he's not dominating A-ball pitchers at 22-years old I'm going to have concerns that his bat may not play the way the Orioles thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...