interloper

Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Never did read that book, though I read a book of short stories by Kinsella called The Thrill of the Grass that’s quite good. 

I also enjoyed this one from him.

https://www.amazon.com/Iowa-Baseball-Confederacy-W-Kinsella-ebook/dp/B07XD75QJM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=wp+kinsella&qid=1583530490&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Christopher Nolan directed then they would be the Dark Knights.Batman as Roy Hobbs. 

Batman-Predator-Baseball-Bat-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I preferred the book to the movie for Field of Dreams as well.

I may have liked The Iowa Baseball Confederacy better than Shoeless Joe.  But it's been 20+ years since I read either.  Maybe 30.  Something about a 6,000 inning game that lasted for months though epic storms and supernatural events.

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I may have liked The Iowa Baseball Confederacy better than Shoeless Joe.  But it's been 20+ years since I read either.  Maybe 30.  Something about a 6,000 inning game that lasted for months though epic storms and supernatural events.

Same for me honestly.

34 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Me too

22 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Liked Trouble with the Curve.

Sugar I also enjoyed.A DR kid adjusting to the United States and minor league ball.

Bang the Drum Slowly I also really like ,but more about life and not a fun movie.

Sugar was excellent 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Same for me honestly.

Now I'm going to have to go back and read the Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

I remember being a little upset when Shoeless Joe became Field of Dreams, and JD Salinger became James Earl Jones' Terence Mann. Even though it's hard to dislike James Earl Jones in anything.  Assuming Salinger wouldn't let himself be represented in the movie.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Now I'm going to have to go back and read the Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

I remember being a little upset when Shoeless Joe became Field of Dreams, and JD Salinger became James Earl Jones' Terence Mann. Even though it's hard to dislike James Earl Jones in anything.  Assuming Salinger wouldn't let himself be represented in the movie.

Kinsella said the working title of the book was “The Kidnapping of J.D. Salinger.”

After a name change and publication of “Shoeless Joe,” Salinger’s lawyers wrote Kinsella, outraged about the portrayal of the world-wary author.

“Salinger made a career out of being publicized for not seeking publicity,” Kinsella said. “It was controlled and planned, and it kept his name in the media for 50 years.”

But the lawyers had a warning: “In a legalese way, they basically said we don’t have enough money to sue you but we will (expletive) on your wish to use it in a movie,” Kinsella said.That’s why, in the “Field of Dreams” movie, Ray Kinsella seeks out fictional author Terence Mann.

http://www.ronkaplansbaseballbookshelf.com/2010/01/29/j-d-salinger-terence-mann-and-field-of-dreams/

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I've long thought that someone like Tim Burton (or even better, Werner Herzog) should reboot The Natural and stay much more faithful to the book.  Dark, bitter, with the lesson being that no matter how promising things look, it will probably go very wrong.  Maybe the Orioles should be the team instead of the Knights!

I came to think in The Natural that the director was alluding that Hobbs died after hitting that homerun and rounding the bases, because of they showed the  bleeding from his stomach.  The scene with him having a catch with his son was kinda his version of heaven.  Or maybe the life he could have had he not played.

9 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I came to think in The Natural that the director was alluding that Hobbs died after hitting that homerun and rounding the bases, because of they showed the  bleeding from his stomach.  The scene with him having a catch with his son was kinda his version of heaven.  Or maybe the life he could have had he not played.

I guess that could be it.  But I think that's way too subtle.  The director wanted a happy ending, he wanted to change the book from bleak and dark to everyone gets to live happily ever after. I'm sure that sold more tickets.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Came in here to see if there were updates on Adley, you guys are getting all emotional over some books.  What kind of place is this?

It's March 10th and you're expecting us to stay on topic? Rutschman isn't even in the major league camp any more, what are we supposed to talk about?

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's March 10th and you're expecting us to stay on topic? Rutschman isn't even in the major league camp any more, what are we supposed to talk about?

It was tongue in cheek, dearest Drungo.  If a thread makes it past three pages on here, it's usually not on topic.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned, considering the erudite crowd on this forum, the brilliant The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. by Robert Coover.