interloper

Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What would you consider “still not hitting?” Is it contact, power, etc?

I'll be watching the K-BB, OBP, and power numbers.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Well you can grind and level them all up, which helps. I couldn't hack it man, 85 is legit. 

By "level them up" you mean go on hot streaks?  I mostly play offline against CPU. 

Yeah the hot streaks can really boost a player. On the other hand a cold streak can really kill them, so its a double edged sword. My record is about .560 now with the Blowfish on 85.  Previously I had won the championship with the Sirloins on 80. My pen is very deep, on the other hand its hard for my starters to last more than 5 or 6 innings.  Kind of like the Orioles.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

How did I not know about this game before today?

You gotta go looking for it.  Not advertised widely unlike EA games. I actually wanted a baseball game but my last experience was The Show on PS3 but didn't like the controls or the presentation.  So I did some research. It can feel arcadish at times but actually feels more like baseball than anything else I've tried.

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

You gotta go looking for it.  Not advertised widely unlike EA games. I actually wanted a baseball game but my last experience was The Show on PS3 but didn't like the controls or the presentation.  So I did some research. It can feel arcadish at times but actually feels more like baseball than anything else I've tried.

I usually keep track of most sports video games that come out, but this one went under the radar. I'm also not a big fan of The Show. It was even free game of the month on Playstation Plus and I still don't like the game much after trying last year's edition. 

I know RBI Baseball game back, but it's had mixed reviews. This one I will probably try when I get more time for gaming. 

15 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Does anyone remember the bad start Cal Ripkin had in his first year.

Yeah he was hitting like .100 than he got hit in the head with a pitch. Earl gave him 3 days off and when he came back he started hitting.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah he was hitting like .100 than he got hit in the head with a pitch. Earl gave him 3 days off and when he came back he started hitting.

He and Eddie had a great opening day and then Cal didn't hit a lick after that game.

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Interestingly, you can narrow it down to Hank Peters being hired as General Manager and him hiring Tommy Giordano as his Scouting Director. Giordano has always been given credit as the guy who drafted Cal Ripken, and he did, but he basically singlehandily destroyed the Orioles system with his awful drafts including an amazing ability to miss on every single #1 pick.

Perhaps he was a good scout, but his track record as the orioles scouting director is abysmal and he appears to have benefited from the old boys club back in the day. 

In fact that 1979 draft was his only successful draft in which he selected Ripken and Boddicker. It is amazing how bad those drafts were and certainly contributed to the Orioles decline. 

That 1983 draft might be the worst draft class by any team, ever.  I looked at the top 10 picks and almost nobody even made it to AAA.  The top three were all high school pitchers, the first rounder never got out of A ball, the 2nd rounder had 50 innings of a 7.11 at Bluefield and never played again, and the third rounder didn't sign and never played a single professional game.  Only a handful of players in the whole draft class ever got to AAA.

If that happened today multiple people would get fired.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That 1983 draft might be the worst draft class by any team, ever.  I looked at the top 10 picks and almost nobody even made it to AAA.  The top three were all high school pitchers, the first rounder never got out of A ball, the 2nd rounder had 50 innings of a 7.11 at Bluefield and never played again, and the third rounder didn't sign and never played a single professional game.  Only a handful of players in the whole draft class ever got to AAA.

Indeed, the decline of O's farm system began under the helm of EBW, followed by Jacobs and continued under Angelos. Owners are not necessarily lovers of baseball but instead lovers of profit and the stigma of ownership of a franchise, limited to a select few.

37 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

2009 wasn't far off, especially given the (presumably) far more advanced scouting resources available 25 years later. The only saving grace being a SS who had a 584 OPS in 650 PAs at Delmarva, but switched to pitcher. (I'm not going to give much credit to 33rd and 37th round picks that didn't sign).

2 minutes ago, makoman said:

2009 wasn't far off, especially given the (presumably) far more advanced scouting resources available 25 years later. The only saving grace being a SS who had a 584 OPS in 650 PAs at Delmarva, but switched to pitcher. (I'm not going to give much credit to 33rd and 37th round picks that didn't sign).

Mike Ohlman (11th round) did make the majors.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mike Ohlman (11th round) did make the majors.

He was an overslot. He got a million. He wrecked his truck down here one year and hurt his shoulder.  The Orioles soured on him. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

He was an overslot. He got a million. He wrecked his truck down here one year and hurt his shoulder.  The Orioles soured on him. 

But he still made the majors.  Most of the '83 draft didn't make AAA.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Literally they could have put names on a dartboard and had better success. Can you imagine if the internet and the Hangout existed back then. I'd love to do one of my expose on what was going on back then. I'm trying to think of contacts who would have been around, even in the media but that's a long time ago now. Hell, I was 13 an thought everything the Orioles did was right. Haha.

Of course in my defense they had been to the Playoffs six times and had three World Series appearances with two wins during that lifetime, so I had something to work with back then! :D

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, makoman said:

I'm pretty sure Joe Jordan would like a mulligan on that draft, no doubt.

This draft highlights that risk of drafting high school players in the 1st round unless they are extremely talented with limited risk (say a Machado or Correa). Only five players drafted in the first 22 picks did not make the majors (including Hobgood) and they all were high school selections. Of note, as bad as Hobgood was as a pick, The Padres did pick high school center fielder Donavan Tate with the 3rd overall pick, two picks ahead of Hobgood. He never made it out of High-A. So Jordan didn't have the worse pick in the draft. :D

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think he has any worries at this point and neither should anyone else. Now if we're two months into the Frederick season and he's still not hitting while playing regularly and healthy, then the first bead of sweat may show up. I'd like to see him have more success early on but he's not getting regular playing time and you can probably count on one hand the amount of times Rutschman came in late in games as a sub before this spring, so n one should really be concerned at this point.

It's those 5k's in 9PA that keep sticking with me.  The guy has only put the ball in play 3 times.