Sign in to follow this  
Eric-OH

3/5 Sarasota Notebook

4 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

I’ve been told that today is a different schedule than normal at the team’s complex at Twin Lakes.  The morning session is for recently checked in pitchers and catchers to meet staff, get physicals and go over their coming season.  There is a half day (am session) for the early camp guys and they’ll be back for fieldwork around 1.  I’ll be there around then and maybe can squeeze in enough to see to go to the O’s game on the way home.  The organization has been so overwhelmingly open-they tell me things like this so I don’t drive out to see nothing.  The access and information is out of this world, but we work together and they would rather me not waste my time.  If that’s not an indicator of a new way of doing business then maybe you need to examine previous media policies and relationships.  
It is hot here today, already approaching 80 before 10am so it’s definitely baseball weather in Sarasota.  I’ll have a report with stuff in it sometime this afternoon but just finished a response to Frobby as far as who is ranked too high/too low overall in the system.  Preview-I mention Gunnar.

This is great to hear.

41 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

I’ve been told that today is a different schedule than normal at the team’s complex at Twin Lakes.  The morning session is for recently checked in pitchers and catchers to meet staff, get physicals and go over their coming season.  There is a half day (am session) for the early camp guys and they’ll be back for fieldwork around 1.  I’ll be there around then and maybe can squeeze in enough to see to go to the O’s game on the way home.  The organization has been so overwhelmingly open-they tell me things like this so I don’t drive out to see nothing.  The access and information is out of this world, but we work together and they would rather me not waste my time.  If that’s not an indicator of a new way of doing business then maybe you need to examine previous media policies and relationships.  
It is hot here today, already approaching 80 before 10am so it’s definitely baseball weather in Sarasota.  I’ll have a report with stuff in it sometime this afternoon but just finished a response to Frobby as far as who is ranked too high/too low overall in the system.  Preview-I mention Gunnar.

This is a credit to you without a doubt. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Hope we don't lose him to the O's like the last guy. :)

Really enjoying the updates Eric.. 

Have you heard or seen the Orioles doing anything different now with the memo from the league about precautions due to the Coronaviurs?

Some teams are keeping players far from fans, some are just saying "don't sign stuff" and some do it anyway, others don't seem like there are any changes.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks. They’ve been great and everybody there is hungry for more including me.  
This group is making my job enjoyable and validating why I wanted to do it.  Good set of circumstances...

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Have you heard or seen the Orioles doing anything different now with the memo from the league about precautions due to the Coronaviurs?

Some teams are keeping players far from fans, some are just saying "don't sign stuff" and some do it anyway, others don't seem like there are any changes.

I started wondering that today as I sat in traffic for the first time since moving to Sarasota in 2015.  Is it taking me 90 minutes to drive 7 miles because of a crazy case of a virus?  It was an accident but it made me think about the physical contact and potential for infection.

I haven’t seen anything that would indicate that’s a concern.  I have seen lots of hugs, high-fives and handshakes as teammates are reunited.  I’m confident that the athletic and training staff and the medical team has a plan for such a large group working together.  Quite a quick change from one of Hyde’s first pressers where he said through his own coughs that if a guy is sick we’re sending him home.  

10 hours ago, interloper said:

This is great to hear.

Yep.  I think most of the guys know what I’m trying to report on and they’re ok with me being there.  It’s to express how much hunger and optimism there is, I see plenty. The players and staff have a work environment going on and progress is being made.  I’m happy to not interrupt and have a front row seat and just as glad to share it with Hangout readers.  

7 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Hope we don't lose him to the O's like the last guy. :)

Really enjoying the updates Eric.. 

Thanks.  I’m glad to be in their environment and watch the steps that lead to bigger steps. 

Eric-OH, you sir are the reason I am getting excited about Gunnar being a real prospect. As they used to call a "blue chipper" is how I am interpreting it.  I hope to see him play this summer.  Do you think he will start with the Shorebirds?  They travel extensively through NC where I live and I enjoyed the hell out of seeing the impressive young pitching staff many times last season.

14 minutes ago, Chuck A said:

Eric-OH, you sir are the reason I am getting excited about Gunnar being a real prospect. As they used to call a "blue chipper" is how I am interpreting it.  I hope to see him play this summer.  Do you think he will start with the Shorebirds?  They travel extensively through NC where I live and I enjoyed the hell out of seeing the impressive young pitching staff many times last season.

Elias has indicated that both he and Hernaiz were young when drafted and gave hints they might start at Aberdeen, but they have a spring training to prove otherwise. It would be great if both made Delmarva, but it won't be the end of the world if they don't.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Elias has indicated that both he and Hernaiz were young when drafted and gave hints they might start at Aberdeen, but they have a spring training to prove otherwise. It would be great if both made Delmarva, but it won't be the end of the world if they don't.

I think Gunnar’s chances are much better than Hernaiz’s, just based on reading Eric’s reports.   Hernaiz is a good long-term prospect but seems a little less ready to handle the jump.    Especially since Eric has been quite high on Joey Ortiz, who also figures to be slated for Delmarva.   

• Upvote 1