Sign in to follow this  
WillyM

Coronavirus outbreak in Baltimore?

I understand that Johns Hopkins University, scheduled to host first-round games in the NCAA Division III basketball tournament, decided to play the games in an empty gym.  No spectators were permitted to attend, out of fear of possibly spreading the coronavirus.  The Blue Jays, deprived of the fan support they might have expected, lost their first-round game to an unheralded Penn State - Harrisburg team.

I hadn't heard about an alarmingly large number of coronavirus cases being reported in Baltimore.  Is the situation there far worse than I thought? 

From an Oriole fan's standpoint, should I expect the Orioles to ban spectators from Camden Yards once the baseball season starts?

As of this writing there are 5 reported cases of coronavirus in the state of MD.   4 in Montgomery County and 1 in Harford.  I'm sure these radical measures are being taken out of an abundance of caution.  It's up to you whether or not you think it's too extreme.

18 hours ago, Aglets said:

As of this writing there are 5 reported cases of coronavirus in the state of MD.   4 in Montgomery County and 1 in Harford.  I'm sure these radical measures are being taken out of an abundance of caution.  It's up to you whether or not you think it's too extreme.

Sixteen people in D.C., Maryland and Virginia have tested positive for coronavirus, officials say.

Shortly after D.C. confirmed three new coronavirus cases Monday night, bringing the city’s total to five, Maryland confirmed its sixth case and Virginia confirmed two new cases — a second in the City of Fairfax and another in Spotsylvania County — bringing the total in Virginia to five.

6 million Marylanders, 700K DC residents and 3 million Northern VA, account for close to 10 million.

16 cases, is not an epidemic yet.

I think we are teetering on hype, hysteria, and abundance of caution.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:13 PM, WillyM said:

I understand that Johns Hopkins University, scheduled to host first-round games in the NCAA Division III basketball tournament, decided to play the games in an empty gym.  No spectators were permitted to attend, out of fear of possibly spreading the coronavirus.  The Blue Jays, deprived of the fan support they might have expected, lost their first-round game to an unheralded Penn State - Harrisburg team.

I hadn't heard about an alarmingly large number of coronavirus cases being reported in Baltimore.  Is the situation there far worse than I thought? 

From an Oriole fan's standpoint, should I expect the Orioles to ban spectators from Camden Yards once the baseball season starts?

It won't be the Orioles. It will be MLB. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Hey OH,

I dont live in Baltimore, but I am a recovered COVID-19 patient.

Good news Rick! Did they sample your blood for antibodies?

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Good news Rick! Did they sample your blood for antibodies?

No, they dont have the resources to do that, according to my GP, they are randoming sampling.

55 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, they dont have the resources to do that, according to my GP, they are randoming sampling.

What was the hospital situation like?  Was it very crowded, or is it okay where you live?  How were the nurses and physicians holding up?

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

What was the hospital situation like?  Was it very crowded, or is it okay where you live?  How were the nurses and physicians holding up?

The ER where I went to was isolated, its like they split the ER into 2 wings. The doctors and nurses were all great.

From what I could tell, they were busy, but they didn't have people on gurneys in the hallway, which is a good sign.

It is a bit of a shock at first, to see how well they were PPE equiped, as the media portrays it far differently.

Disposable face masks, goggles or eye glasses and then, full face shield, not to mention full PPE paper coverups.

I heard 3rd hand stories that some nurses and doctors are living in hotel rooms, so they dont take home any COVID to their families.

God Bless for what they are do.

• Upvote 1