Jump to content
Tony-OH

Leaders Emerge in Spring Battles

Recommended Posts

I feel like Lakins made a good statement with how he bounced back from his absolutely awful debut in the Spring, which is refreshing (the bounce back, not the getting shelled...)

I do shudder at the thought of Nunez playing 3rd on a consistent basis. I know it would help get Mountcastle AND Nunez in the line up, but good lord, pitchers will be pissed. 
 

The catchers race is interesting. Holoday seemed like he was going to run away with it, but Wynns seems to be keeping up, though he does seem to be playing more “garbage time,” but he he has been doing very good on defense (I don’t think he has allowed a stolen base.) Sisco is an interesting case. Suppose Wynns makes it as the back up to Severino. Does AAA have Sisco, Holoday, and Cervenka?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

FYI, Holaday's name is spelled with two A's and one O, not vice versa.

If he makes the roster, I’ll learn to spell it.

Eventually.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

FYI, Holaday's name is spelled with two A's and one O, not vice versa.

See why I need an editor still? lol.. That's what you get when you run away from us! :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No mention of Martin he had a solid last two months and has hit this Spring.  They may want to get him constant at bats though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The outfield is such a mess its hard to project anything.   We don't know how long Mancini will be out.  Or if Santander's arm will hold up.   Mountcastle arm could keep him in the minors because he may be a 1B/DH.  No runner is going to stop at 3B if the throw he made is any indication of his ability.  

Davis has first. Nunez has DH.  

Ruiz is killed the ball this spring and along with his defense at 3B he will be hard to bench.

These problems in the outfield open a spot for Williams who is getting on base with regularity.  He can throw and play all three spots.

Velazquez looked good early but has not hit much lately.   Martin and Valaika look like better bench players right now.

Sending back the Rule 5 guys has thinned the starting competition.   Right now it looks like an unforced error on Elias part.   The 5th starter spot looks weak and the only starter  Elias was able to add late last spring was Straily.  If there is nothing better available this spring the O's may have to rush a AAA guy which  I know they don't want to do. Or go with ineffective retreads.

I am kind of down on Milone right now because of his recent history as a starter in not good.

Just  a note: Sulser turns 30 in a few days, not 31.   Lakins is currently 25 and will be 26 on June 29th.  He is not 27.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wildcard said:

The outfield is such a mess its hard to project anything.   We don't know how long Mancini will be out.  Or if Santander's arm will hold up.   Mountcastle arm could keep him in the minors because he may be a 1B/DH.  No runner is going to stop at 3B if the throw he made is any indication of his ability.  

Davis has first. Nunez has DH.  

Ruiz is killed the ball this spring and along with his defense at 3B he will be hard to bench.

These problems in the outfield open a spot for Williams who is getting on base with regularity.  He can throw and play all three spots.

Velazquez looked good early but has not hit much lately.   Martin and Valaika look like better bench players right now.

Sending back the Rule 5 guys has thinned the starting competition.   Right now it looks like an unforced error on Elias part.   The 5th starter spot looks weak and the only starter  Elias was able to add late last spring was Straily.  If there is nothing better available this spring the O's may have to rush a AAA guy which  I know they don't want to do. Or go with ineffective retreads.

I am kind of down on Milone right now because of his recent history as a starter in not good.

Just  a note: Sulser turns 30 in a few days, not 31.   Lakins is currently 25 and will be 26 on June 29th.  He is not 27.

Yeah, baseball reference spring stats have the ages a year off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, one of my roster choices, “somebody not in camp” is alive again, with the acquisition of Velasquez. Is he going on the 40 man roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, one of my roster choices, “somebody not in camp” is alive again, with the acquisition of Velasquez. Is he going on the 40 man roster?

Yes, any player claimed on waivers automatically goes on the 40-man roster.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Philip said:

Well, one of my roster choices, “somebody not in camp” is alive again, with the acquisition of Velasquez. Is he going on the 40 man roster?

He is on the 40 man roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, baseball reference spring stats have the ages a year off.

Daylight Savings Time messes everyone up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...