Sign in to follow this  
Eric-OH

Sarasota Notebook 3/10-Will Be Updated

F160A041-0DD3-44F5-A8ED-014D8B191277.thumb.png.9eccdc2199356e0dde129130c228a7de.pngGood morning from Sarasota.  As I checked in this morning and picked up a roster for Hangout poster @Legend_Of_Joey, I noticed the photographers and their cameras set up.  It’s picture day at the Orioles Twin Lakes complex and that can only help as far as ID’ing each and every player.  I haven’t talked to anyone about the schedule for today but the parking lot is full and the field crews have cages on all the fields and are finishing as they set up outside net cages and finalize the mounds.  To me it looks like there will be lots going on and I’m glad to be here for all of it.  I have been sent notice about the team/MLB policy as far as proximity to players and staff due to corona virus concerns so it may be difficult to interact and get solid shots/videos.  I’ll still be able to observe plenty of action.  
The players should be exiting any minute now so I’ll check out the day and be back soon.

4:30pm Update-

Busy day out at the complex and yes, @Legend_Of_Joey and I were able to connect and watch baseball action.  Every big name was there and there was a simulated game, at least a few innings after lunch.  The vans rolling in and out, fans watching and cheering, the players’ intensity growing, coaches instructing; it’s finally a real camp!

I have notes, some video, a cool story about meeting an O’s farmhand from my youth and an important current employee too but now I have to go and play with my dog.  Probably my best bet for coordinating this info and organizing it will happen at the O’s game but I might be distracted.  It starts in 2 hours and I plan on being there.

I cannot emphasize enough how much I love seeing kids start to appreciate the game and a family that had come from Texas to watch Grayson (wouldn’t you?) got a gift for their boy Tatum from Daniel Fajardo.  I also can’t begin to tell you how good of a guy Fajardo is.  Maybe my picture can, but what a start to Tatum’s day!

6:00pmUpdate-

I tried in vain to remember and used google to help me but couldn’t recall the name of the former O’s minors pitcher I met.  He talked about Ponson, Steve Bechler and his own reliance on a 94mph fastball.  He had a beautiful wife and family and probably didn’t notice his gleam as he walked down the pavement getting closer to the fields he used to throw on.  I did point out his smirk, and he finished my thought, with initials as the pitchers marched out for PFP.  He sighed.  

The hugely important employee I met was Director of Education in Player Development Anaíma Garcia as I thought she was a reporter taking notes on my level.  I was mistaken, she’s a recent hire and is in sponge mode learning her new players and her own responsibilities.  Alway watching with a note pad and writing, she seems like she’s taking in a lot but not overwhelmed.  The latest example of the O’s hiring people who are hungry and ready to grow.   

All this in addition to Keys catcher Daniel Fajardo giving away a bat.  Minor league camp is just a great place to be and take in the sport.  

Now I’ll have to give to the action I saw in note form or I’ll never make the O’s game....I tried for a while to look up the pitchers name/ pic

-rookie level outfielder Lamar Sparks was dressed and looks considerably larger than last summer.  Big shoulders, filling out the jersey

-starter Dean Kremer looked to be a little more fluid and quicker with his legs in his delivery and  especially initiating the motion than I’d seen him at the outset of big league camp.  Maybe warming up?  Looked limber.  Curve came out slow but he was working on it, it was working for him

-Adley Rutschman was back and in a rotation of catchers getting regular work/use as I predicted.  He didn’t get a hit in the sim action I saw, but caught DL Hall, made good solid contact to right and threw out a runner at second 

-starter Michael Baumann was really solid and had every pitch available in sim action.  He got outfielder Kyle Stowers on hip level heat swinging.  I was happy to see Stowers turn on a hitter’s pitch, it was just 95+.  Next up corner JC Escarra, he took the count to 3 balls and did his thing, eyeing a high pitch all the way back to the glove as he dropped the bat walking to first.  

-I noticed the umpire giving Cody Sedlock the corners with breaking stuff when he didn’t hit actually them, and not rewarding him with strikes when he did,  Blue=mid-season form.  Also Cody had the change working as hitters swung through his stuff early twice. He was up before Kyle Bradish who I didn’t focus on but really looked clean and string with stuff the 4-5 pitches I saw.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard MLB clubhouses were closed to the media altogether. I expect we'll hear more about it once tonight's game gets closer. 

Eric, I heard they closed the complex to fans the other day for the minors, was that related to coronavirus scare?  Should I not plan on visiting the minors when I'm down there and just go to MLB games?

4 hours ago, jarman86 said:

Eric, I heard they closed the complex to fans the other day for the minors, was that related to coronavirus scare?  Should I not plan on visiting the minors when I'm down there and just go to MLB games?

Minors complex is and has been open. 

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Minors complex is and has been open. 

They even let me wander aimlessly for a while without saying anything. Not bad!

Thanks, guess it was a rumor.  I'm ready for this coronavirus to just die.  First it takes my beer, then my Chinese and Italian food.  I can't have it take away my baseball.  May pack my Hazmat suit just in case.  

5 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Thanks, guess it was a rumor.  I'm ready for this coronavirus to just die.  First it takes my beer, then my Chinese and Italian food.  I can't have it take away my baseball.  May pack my Hazmat suit just in case.  

Be careful out there. I was shocked what I could not buy today. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Be careful out there. I was shocked what I could not buy today. 

I'll just head up to NY for some of that free hand sanitizer they've got before heading down.  Hear it smells floral.  

10 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

I tried in vain to remember and used google to help me but couldn’t recall the name of the former O’s minors pitcher I met.  He talked about Ponson, Steve Bechler and his own reliance on a 94mph fastball.  He had a beautiful wife and family and probably didn’t notice his gleam as he walked down the pavement getting closer to the fields he used to throw on.  I did point out his smirk, and he finished my thought, with initials as the pitchers marched out for PFP.  He sighed.  

Did he have dark hair and around 5-11? I think John Parrish is down there and was around back then.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did he have dark hair and around 5-11? I think John Parrish is down there and was around back then.

I searched online extensively and couldn’t figure it or match a pic to re-ring a bell.

Right-handed pitcher who is at least 6-2 but probably 6-4 looks like the wrestler Goldberg.  Big and broad and also tall.  

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Next time, give me a heads up so I can suck in my stomach.

It was great meeting you both today! Very knowledgeable!

You too guy.  Can’t wait to talk minor league progression upwards with you starting this season.  And a neat coincidence that we got to a game where the GCL Champs were honored.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Eric-OH said:

You too guy.  Can’t wait to talk minor league progression upwards with you starting this season.  And a neat coincidence that we got to a game where the GCL Champs were honored.  

Jay Spurgeon?