Greg Pappas

Ravens' 2020 NFL Draft Chat

29 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Harrison is the 5th ranked MLB according to Walter Football. He's projected by them to be a 3-5 round guy. I would think he's likely a reach in the 3rd much less the 2nd.

I'd be ok drafting him for WIL in the 4th, but he's not the stud MLB that I think we need. Conversely, I think Braun or Jordan Brooks would be a better 2nd LB taken by the Ravens. And I think they need 2 guys! I also like Anferee Jennings at the WIL.

Walter Football doesn’t have Queen ranked as an ILB.  What’s up with that?  Other services have Harrison 3rd behind Queen and Murray.  I do like Brooks and Logan Wilson.  Point being, you can get an impact MLB later if a stud drops unexpectedly to 28.  San Fran got Greenlaw in the third last season and he was great for them.

Regarding Malik Harrison: 
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/malik-harrison?id=32194841-5260-5109-5b0d-c966f8ba7e71

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
K.J. Wright
Overview
Long-legged, loose-hipped linebacker with desired combination of size, physicality and range to help ruin the running game for teams needing linebacker help. His constant downhill mode disrupts blocking schemes and brings impact tackles, but it can be used against him with play-action and misdirection. The instincts are just average but his physical traits even it out on most snaps. He has some coverage limitations but can pressure the pocket as a blitzer and has the athleticism to spy mobile quarterbacks. He's big and tough with the potential to become a good starter inside or as a 4-3 strong-side linebacker.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2020/03/06/ravens-draft-central/inside-linebacker-prospects/malik-harrison-ilb-ohio-state/

Ravens Fit

With his size and willingness to take on blockers inside, Harrison projects best as a MIKE linebacker in the Ravens’ base 3-4 defense. He would be an asset to Wink Martindale’s defense as a force against the run. With only two ILBs (L.J. Fort and Chris Board) currently under contract, Harrison would be competing for playing time right away.
Harrison needs some time to develop his coverage ability. Until the time that he could be fully trusted in coverage, Harrison could be used as a blitzer or QB spy on obvious passing downs.

Draft Grade: 2nd Round

Malik Harrison should quickly become a starting ILB in the NFL. With great size and tackling ability, Harrison is a throwback to the “Thumper” ILB who may need time to develop into a true three-down player. Harrison has the potential to be one of the Top 5 ILBs selected and should go sometime on Day 2.

With the 60th pick in the draft, the Ravens have a decent chance of having the opportunity to select Harrison.

Naturally, we have added the 55th pick in R2 as well. While his coverage skills are lacking, I'd be cool with Harrison in R2. With that said, however, I think a trade up in R1 is a possibility in order to secure Queen or Murray. I think I'd rather lose an extra pick moving up to get a player we REALLY like, than staying put and risk missing out on both. Our linebacker group is our biggest weakness and needs to be addressed. Unless DeCosta surprises us with a trade for a ILB, and with no FA linebackers worth signing, we're dependent on the draft.

FWIW. While it's not a likely scenario that Alabama safety Xavier McKinney will be our first round pick, I do see a scenario in which he'd be the Best Player Available. Our depth at safety is poor, and while we are fine at both SS and FS, Earl Thomas is getting older and Chuck Clark is a decent SS, but an upgrade would be nice.  Again, it's not likely with more pressing needs in the draft, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

From an article regarding McKinney:

Pro Football Focus’ Ben Linsey identified which prospects in this year’s draft class are the best fits for each and every NFL franchise.

An Alabama Crimson Tide player was a subject of the article — safety Xavier McKinney.

According to Linsey, the best fit for McKinney are the Dallas Cowboys, who own the No. 17 overall selection.

“Being tagged as the most complete and versatile safety in the draft class, McKinney has the profile that most NFL teams are looking for at the position,” Linsey wrote. “Last season for the Crimson Tide, he played 200 or more snaps in the box, at slot cornerback and at free safety. McKinney's 2018 season was a similar story. He ended both years with an overall grade of 80.0 or better, improving from a grade of 82.0 in 2018 to 88.4 last season. There isn’t a whole lot on the field that McKinney doesn’t do well.

“The Cowboys are continually linked to such versatile safeties, and McKinney fits into what they do defensively. Xavier Woods has played well for Dallas, with coverage grades of 70.0 or higher each of the past two seasons at free safety. McKinney could fill in with more of a strong safety role, roaming in the box with the ability to man up in the slot and stick to receivers inside. Considering he has also shown the versatility to play deep as needed, McKinney is one of the safer bets in the secondary in this draft.”

NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah is high on McKinney as well.

“I think McKinney is the best safety in the draft,” Jeremiah said. “I think you’re going to like him closer to the line of scrimmage. He can play high, but he’s better when he can drop down and play in the box. And he’s also a great communicator.

“I had some scouting influences on me when I started that had come from New England, and Coach (Bill) Belichick would always preach to those guys, ‘You cannot win with a dumb safety.’ You’ve got to have an intelligent and good communicative safety, and I think that’s what McKinney is to the point where they had so many linebacker injuries at Alabama they kind of played him down there in that nickel backer role and let him call the fronts and communicate.
“That is a skill that he has there, and I think he’s one of the safest players in the draft.”

IMHO Queen and Murray will be long gone by our first pick. I'm warming to idea of drafting Taylor in Round 1 and OL and ILB in Round 2. After that DL, Safety and WR, not necessarily in that order. Just my two cents.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:02 PM, backwardsk said:

Walter Football doesn’t have Queen ranked as an ILB.  What’s up with that?  Other services have Harrison 3rd behind Queen and Murray.  I do like Brooks and Logan Wilson.  Point being, you can get an impact MLB later if a stud drops unexpectedly to 28.  San Fran got Greenlaw in the third last season and he was great for them.

What’s your point? Queen played more of a OLB/DE role in college and the same with Braun. Both are expected to move to MLB at the NFL level.

Sure a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut! Most 3rd and 4th round picks are filler. Mosley was a good player and drafted by the Ravens late in the 1st. What the Ravens need is their next great MLB. That’s the guy I’m after!

Double post... this was originally added to the Mock thread, but I thought it should be here as well.

I've completed work on a Composite Top 100 Prospect List.  I utilized five sites: NFL.com, ESPN/Scout, PFF.com, NFL Rough Draft, and Huddle Report. I chose those sites because they are not only popular, but some, like NFL Rough Draft and Huddle Report are annually rated among the top sites in putting together their rankings. I then averaged these five sites' rankings to come up with the list. 

2020 NFL Draft Composite Top 100 Prospects List:

1   DE Chase Young*  Ohio State 6'5" 265
2   QB Joe Burrow  LSU 6'3" 212
3   CB Jeff Okudah*  Ohio State 6'1" 200
4   QB Tua Tagovailoa*  Alabama 6'0" 217
5   OLB Isaiah Simmons*  Clemson 6'4" 230
6   WR CeeDee Lamb*  Oklahoma 6'2" 191
7   DT Derrick Brown  Auburn 6'4⅛" 325
8   WR Jerry Jeudy*  Alabama 6'1" 192
9   OT Jedrick Wills Jr.*  Alabama 6'5" 320
10   OT Tristan Wirfs*  Iowa 6'5" 322
11   OT Andrew Thomas*  Georgia 6'5" 320
12   DT Javon Kinlaw  South Carolina 6'5⅛" 308
13   WR Henry Ruggs III*  Alabama 6'0" 190
14   CB CJ Henderson*  Florida 6'1" 202
15   QB Justin Herbert  Oregon 6'6¼" 240
16   OT Mekhi Becton*  Louisville 6'7" 369
17   DE K'Lavon Chaisson*  LSU 6'4" 250
18   ILB Patrick Queen*  LSU 6'1" 227
19   ILB Kenneth Murray*  Oklahoma 6'2" 243
20   WR Justin Jefferson*  LSU 6'3" 192
21   RB D'Andre Swift*  Georgia 5'9" 215
22   S Xavier McKinney*  Alabama 6'1" 200
23   OT Josh Jones  Houston 6'4¾" 309
24   S Grant Delpit*  LSU 6'3" 203
25   CB Jaylon Johnson*  Utah 6'0" 195
26   WR Brandon Aiyuk  Arizona State 5'11¾" 203
27   DE A.J. Epenesa*  Iowa 6'6" 280
28   WR Tee Higgins*  Clemson 6'4" 215
29   OLB Zack Baun  Wisconsin 6'1¾" 227
30   DE Yetur Gross-Matos*  Penn State 6'5" 264
31   WR Jalen Reagor*  TCU 5'11" 195
32   CB Trevon Diggs  Alabama 6'1½" 202
33   RB Jonathan Taylor*  Wisconsin 5'11" 219
34   WR Laviska Shenault Jr.*  Colorado 6'2" 220
35   C/G Cesar Ruiz*  Michigan 6'4" 319
36   DT Jordan Elliott*  Missouri 6'4" 315
37   DT Ross Blacklock*  TCU 6'4" 305
38   CB Kristian Fulton  LSU 5'11⅝" 194
39   CB Jeff Gladney  TCU 5'10" 183
40   RB J.K. Dobbins*  Ohio State 5'10" 217
41   WR Michael Pittman Jr.  USC 6'3¾" 223
42   WR Denzel Mims  Baylor 6'2½" 211
43   OT Ezra Cleveland*  Boise State 6'6" 310
44   RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire*  LSU 5'8" 209
45   S Antoine Winfield Jr.*  Minnesota  0
46   CB A.J. Terrell*  Clemson 6'1" 190
47   QB Jordan Love*  Utah State 6'4" 225
48   OT Austin Jackson*  USC 6'6" 310
49   DT/DE Marlon Davidson  Auburn 6'3¼" 303
50   DT Justin Madubuike*  Texas A&M 6'3" 300
51   WR KJ Hamler*  Penn State 5'9" 176
52   CB Noah Igbinoghene*  Auburn 5'11" 200
53   OT/OG Isaiah Wilson*  Georgia 6'7" 340
54   WR Chase Claypool  Notre Dame 6'4⅜" 229
55   OLB Terrell Lewis*  Alabama 6'5" 252
56   S Ashtyn Davis  California 6'1⅛" 201
57   TE Cole Kmet*  Notre Dame 6'5½" 250
58   S Kyle Dugger  Lenoir-Rhyne 6'0⅝" 218
59   CB Cameron Dantzler*  Mississippi State 6'2" 185
60   RB Zack Moss  Utah 5'9⅛" 205
61   CB Bryce Hall  Virginia 6'1¾" 202
62   DE Julian Okwara  Notre Dame 6'4⅝" 242
63   RB Cam Akers*  Florida State 5'11" 212
64   C Lloyd Cushenberry III*  LSU 6'4" 315
65   OG Robert Hunt  Louisiana 6'5" 323
66   ILB Logan Wilson  Wyoming 6'1¾" 245
67   DT Neville Gallimore  Oklahoma 6'1" 296
68   QB Jake Fromm*  Georgia 6'2" 220
69   S Jeremy Chinn S. Illinois 6'3" 221
70   QB Jacob Eason*  Washington 6'6" 227
71   Edge Josh Uche  Michigan 6'1⅝" 242
72   TE Adam Trautman  Dayton 6'4⅞" 256
73   Edge Curtis Weaver*  Boise State 6'3" 265
74   OT Lucas Niang  TCU 6'5¾" 336
75   OG Damien Lewis LSU  6'2" 327
76   RB AJ Dillon*  Boston College 6'0" 250
77   DE James Lynch*  Baylor 6'4" 295
78   Edge Jonathan Greenard  Florida 6'3¼" 265
79   CB Damon Arnette  Ohio State 5'11½" 191
80   OT Prince Tega Wanogho  Auburn 6'5⅛" 307
81   TE Harrison Bryant  Florida Atlantic 6'4⅜" 240
82   Edge Bradlee Anae  Utah 6'3½" 263
83   OLB Troy Dye  Oregon 6'3⅜" 218
84   WR Bryan Edwards  South Carolina 6'2⅞" 218
85   OLB Malik Harrison  Ohio State 6'2⅞" 251
86   WR Van Jefferson  Florida 6'1¾" 197
87   DT Raekwon Davis  Alabama 6'6¼" 315
88   WR Antonio Gandy-Golden  Liberty 6'3⅝" 216
89   DE Jabari Zuniga  Florida 6'3⅝" 255
90   TE Hunter Bryant*  Washington 6'2" 239
91   CB Amik Robertson*  Louisiana Tech 5'9" 183
92   DE Alton Robinson  Syracuse 6'2⅝" 250
93   OG John Simpson  Clemson 6'4⅜" 336
94   OLB Akeem Davis-Gaither  App St 6'1" 224
95   C Matt Hennessy  Temple  6'4" 307
96   OT Saahdiq Charles*  LSU 6'4" 295
97   CB Troy Pride Jr.*  Notre Dame 5'11¼" 192
98   C Tyler Biadasz*  Wisconsin 6'3" 321
99   DE Jason Strowbridge  North Carolina 6'4" 261
100   OLB Jordyn Brooks  Texas Tech 5'11⅞" 241
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2020 at 7:20 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

IMHO Queen and Murray will be long gone by our first pick. I'm warming to idea of drafting Taylor in Round 1 and OL and ILB in Round 2. After that DL, Safety and WR, not necessarily in that order. Just my two cents.

What do you think about Braun? He’s also expected to move inside. They might be able to move up in the second and get him

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

What do you think about Braun? He’s also expected to move inside. They might be able to move up in the second and get him

I'm not birdwatcher, but Baun is one of the oldest prospects in the draft at 23.31. Studies have shown that players that are older than their competition do not fare as well as the much younger (21'ish) prospects. This doesn't mean that he, in particular, won't be a good player in the NFL, just that the odds favor the younger athletes. 

5 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm not birdwatcher, but Baun is one of the oldest prospects in the draft at 23.31. Studies have shown that players that are older than their competition do not fare as well as the much younger (21'ish) prospects. This doesn't mean that he, in particular, won't be a good player in the NFL, just that the odds favor the younger athletes. 

Younger = less wear and tear ...So it makes sense. I would not spend a round 1 pick on him.

I did a simulation on first-pick without trades and came away with this:

Queen ILB LSU

Ruiz C/OG Michigan

Davis-Gaither - OLB App St

Davis - DT/DE Alabama

Gandy-Golden WR Liberty 

Driscoll - OT Auburn

McFarland - RB Maryland 

Gibson - WR Memphis

Robinson CB - Tulsa

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I did a simulation on first-pick without trades and came away with this:

Queen ILB LSU

Ruiz C/OG Michigan

Davis-Gaither - OLB App St

Davis - DT/DE Alabama

Gandy-Golden WR Liberty 

Driscoll - OT Auburn

McFarland - RB Maryland 

Gibson - WR Memphis

Robinson CB - Tulsa

I fully expect Queen to be long gone without a trade up. Hope I’m wrong. Ruiz also gone before 55...possibly at 32.

Dont like the Gaither pick... fine with R Davis. Don’t like either of the WRs and will be disappointed if that’s what we net from a deep clas! No to McFarland. 

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I fully expect Queen to be long gone without a trade up. Hope I’m wrong. Ruiz also gone before 55...possibly at 32.

Dont like the Gaither pick... fine with R Davis. Don’t like either of the WRs and will be disappointed if that’s what we net from a deep clas! No to McFarland. 

Queen was available then and it gave me an A- for the selection there.  Ruiz is likely to be gone there, but he was available and I had to take him.  There are other guards in the third to fifth round range that I like.

Gibson would thrive with OC, IMO.  He’s not a receiver as much as a “weapon.”  Puts a ton of speed on the field with him, Jackson, and Brown.

10 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Queen was available then and it gave me an A- for the selection there.  Ruiz is likely to be gone there, but he was available and I had to take him.  There are other guards in the third to fifth round range that I like.

Gibson would thrive with OC, IMO.  He’s not a receiver as much as a “weapon.”  Puts a ton of speed on the field with him, Jackson, and Brown.

Sims are fun 

interesting that PFF ranks none of Queen, Murray, or Baun in their top 32. They are Baun (39), Queen (40), and Murray (43)

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board