Sign in to follow this  
Redskins Rick

2020 - Washington Redskins

Lots going on today.  They traded a fifth for Allen and then receive a fifth for Dunbar.  They also cut S Montae Nicholson.  If anyone remembers, he got arrested for fighting in One Loudoun in 2018, and then last season a women died of an overdose at his place.  They also re-signed DL Caleb Brantley.  I was excited when they picked him up last year from Cleveland, but then he got hurt pretty quickly.  He's a nice, versatile depth piece on the line.

They still have seven selections for the draft.  

Rivera's first FA has been a lot of character and development guys with no big splashes.  They chased Amari Cooper, but were turned down by him.

On the defensive side, they are looking strong and deep on the line.  The linebackers are suspect, and the secondary traded away its best corner.  But with Rivera and Del Rio, I have hope that the defense makes a big step forward.

D-line: Sweat, Allen, Payne, Chase Young, Ioannidis, Kerrigan, Settle, Orchard, Brantley, and Brailfield is a pretty strong group.

Linebacker: The wild card here is Reuben Foster.  If he can recover, big if, he could really elevate the position.  I'm not sure how the group lines up with the transition to 4-3, but the group includes, Thomas Davis, Bostic, Hamilton, Holcomb, Harvey-Clemons, Kevin Pierre-Lewis (under the radar FA pick-up).  Then there is Ryan Anderson.  Not sure if he fits in as DE or LB here.

Corner: With Dunbar gone, they have Morneau, Danny Johnson, Kendall Fuller, and Jimmy Moreland.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a FA added here.  Maybe Breeland.

Safety: With Nicholson gone, Landon Collins will run with Sean Davis (FA from Pitt).  Apke and Everette will back up and play special teams.

Offense:

They still need to come up with a resolution with Trent Williams.

Their line is lacking a LT if he goes.  Erreck Flowers resurrected his career and is now going to get paid in Miami.  Last year's mid-round draft pick Wes Martin will compete with new Wes - Wes Schweitzer.  Roullier at center, tagged Scherff at RG, and Moses at RT.  They signed a monster Cornelius Lucas (6-8 327) to be a swing tackle.  They could also bring back Donald Penn if Williams is shipped out.

Allen will back up Haskins at QB.

The running back group added JD McKissic as a third down back to pair with Peterson, Guice, and Bryce Love.

The receiving group is still very green with 2 or less years of experience: McLaurin, Harmon, Sims Jr, Sims, and Quinn.

After moving on from Reed and Vernon Davis' retirement, you'll need a program to know this tight end group: Sprinkle, Hentges, Caleb Wilson, and Logan Thomas.

That's what it looks like today.

For the draft, I'd definitely take Chase Young unless they get blown away.  They could use the 66th pick to move back and get more picks.  Need to focus on DB, OL and some weapons for Haskins.  The receiver group is pretty deep this year.

For some reason, not sure why, Redskins add Peyton Barber to the RB mix.  I hope that’s not a bad sign for Guice and Love’s recoveries.

43 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nice writeup.

Im hoping they get blown away, I think that would be better long term for plugging holes.

I hear you, but Young is way too enticing for me to see them pass him up.  Now if a team wants to get crazy and beat out the RGIII return, I’d listen to the voicemail.

Some other guys added: CB Darby, WR Lattimer, TE Richard Rodgers, and OL Vujnovich.

Also, under the radar, they signed WR Emanuel Hall to a futures contract last season.  He had a lot of big plays from Drew Lock at Missouri.  He could be a dark horse to make the team.