Tony-OH

Roster takes shape for Opening Day (Sim)

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did Davis finish the sim spring OPSing 1.000+?

Who was the last man out? Cody Carroll?

Yeah, I decided to keep both Scott and Fry over another right-handed reliever and Carroll missed all of last season so thought he needs to go down to AAA and put up some numbers and wait for an opportunity. 

I didn't sim out spring training just started out at opening day after making roster moves.

Few things that I doubt will happen.

Williams seems more like a starting outfielder than Smith.  Both offensively and defensively. JMO.

Scott and Fry are both more short relievers than middle relievers IMO.

Armstrong made 51 appearance last year.  4 of them were 2 IP.   None were more than that.  That is not a long reliever IMO.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Williams seems more like a starting outfielder than Smith.  Both offensively and defensively. JMO.

Armstrong made 51 appearance last year.  4 of them were 2 IP.   None were more than that.  That is not a long reliever IMO.

We had to put the middle and long relievers in the starting rotation.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Did Davis finish the sim spring OPSing 1.000+?

Who was the last man out? Cody Carroll?

Looks like probably he did, since he's batting fifth in the OD lineup.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I'm interested in why Givens is closer and Harvey set-up. How about flipping those two?

It doesn't matter too much with this team, but Givens being the closer does make me nervous even with the few save chances the Orioles will have this year. 

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

I'm interested in why Givens is closer and Harvey set-up. How about flipping those two?

I think that's going to happen before the season is out, but wanted to give the veteran the chance first.

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

Looks like probably he did, since he's batting fifth in the OD lineup.

Yeah, I dont think that's going to last, but I wanted to do what I thought Hyde would do on opening day and at least ik initially after Davis' red hot spring.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Dont get caught up in the roles so much in the bullpen. Like Hyde did last year,  these guys will pitch in various roles and and I expect a lot of flux.

As for Williams,  I have him starting against left handers and initially playing slavery third game against right handers.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Dont get caught up in the roles so much in the bullpen. Like Hyde did last year,  these guys will pitch in various roles and and I expect a lot of flux.

As for Williams,  I have him starting against left handers and initially playing slavery third game against right handers.

I think the point is that the current O's roster is very thin in innings eaters.   A lot of relievers with one inning or 1+ inning histories.   There are 5 starters with little back up.   Velazquez as a long reliever.   Then maybe Stewart but his numbers look poor.   

Elias will want to keep his AAA starters at AAA until they prove themselves and it looks like Ty Black, Eshelman and Chandler who are 6.00+ ERA types  are an injury away from being in the majors.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the point is

I think the point is that Tony's keeping us entertained with his baseball sim. 😉

I'm probably going to get it at some point.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the point is that Tony's keeping us entertained with his baseball sim. 😉

I'm probably going to get it at some point.

I’m going to let Tony sim the O’s season and that’ll be who I follow at the big league level this year.  Can’t wait to second guess his moves!  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Eric-OH said:

I’m going to let Tony sim the O’s season and that’ll be who I follow at the big league level this year.  Can’t wait to second guess his moves!  

He might not wanna open himself up for this amount of criticism.  Don't scare him off!

What'd be cool is if they had a famous games sub-game where you could dive into famous moments in history as the manager and take over.  Like, if you're in Game 6 of the 86 Series, you can pull Schiraldi.  Or, you know, you can put Britton in instead of Ubaldo...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I'd say shoe in is a bit strong.  He's only been above average the last couple of seasons. 
    • they need that image to justify in their own minds, why its not a big deal, that a stud HOF shoe in, is no longer a part of this organization.  
    • https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/29246516/meet-2020-mlb-draft-man-mystery-17-year-old-enormous-upside For anyone who wants more info before drooling over Bitsko ....  Article says Bitsko has elite FB characteristics and is improving secondary stuff.  He could go as high as 8th overall to San Diego.  A Pennsylvania product, Bitsko might not get past the Phillies at 15.   I personally think Jammer's first three picks suggestion with Veen would be outstanding, but it is looking highly unlikely to me.  Dropping from the second rated talent in Martin to Veen around sixth and scooping up Dax Fulton and Bitsko would be a bit risky with the high school lean, but a mouth-watering amount of talent - however unlikely. IMO, the issue with the savings with Veen, or as has been mentioned on-line at multiple sources, Heston Kjerstad, could be $2M+.  With that kind of savings, IMO, the question starts to become whether we can spend that savings.  Our second pick, the first in the first supplemental round and 30th overall carries slot at $2.4M.  IMO, it is difficult to think a pre-draft deal with someone at 30 would be for $ in the top 15 picks  or $3.5M.  We have been rumored to be targeting Dax Fulton - rated in the 40s per some services - with that pick.  Fulton has undergone TJ surgery and might well have been drafted in the middle of the first round without the injury. Our third pick, second in the second round and second on day 2, at 39th overall carries slot at $1.9M.  We could be sitting on Day 2 with over $1M in extra slot $ at our disposal to use on a prospect who simply fell out of the first round, but I expect some bonus requests to come down entering day 2.  It almost becomes a scenario of whether we can spend that $ - perhaps on an overslot signing with our third or fourth round picks, but IMO it is very difficult to game that far ahead and assume a certain prospect or pool of prospects will be there - especially since we don't know if other teams are going to use senior signings in rounds 3, 4 and/or 5 in order to go overslot on one other player after the first round.  The entire scenario could also blow up if Dax is popped in the first round.  I am sure we would have a back-up plan at 30 and would have an entire night to plan how to spend remaining slot savings, but IMO there is plenty of risk - who knows, perhaps Elias would laugh and say he has little doubt he could spend extra slot $ - and Elias could walk away from this draft with four prospects signed at over $2M each. I would think it is much safer to just draft Martin, Fulton and the prospect we like best at 39 even if we need a senior sign in the third or fourth round to find more slot $.  Then grab two more prospects at slot in our top 150.    
    • Couple of things. I don’t recall 100% now from where- I think it was a local radio interview- but Callis poured some cold water on the whole Correa $ underslot  comparison. He basically said many teams had him at the top and his agent really screwed up.   I really hope we take Martin. Callis thinks he is a .300, 20 HR type. We know he can get on base. Try him in CF and then move him to 2nd base if that doesn’t work out. You are a perennial All Star at those spots if you put up those kind of numbers. I can’t stand the guy but Pedroia was a big part of some good Red Sox teams. Martin’s bat has some comparisons.  The Brewers have been able to mix and match their way to some success but in general you better build your position player core from within. We see how much players age now so quickly.  Most contending teams in recent years have a strong position player  core from within. Look at Cubs- Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Rizzo. I know Rizzo was a trade and the White Sox traded for Moncada and Jimenez but we really don’t have assets to deal right now to get back top prospects. We need to hit on these picks and hopefully hit on some International players. I have some faith that are new staff can get more out of the pitching we have than previous regimes. I would not be angry about Lacy but I would take my chances on some arms at picks 30 and/or 39.
    • Agreed.  Many like to only remember the handful of times he lackadaisically jogged down first base. 
    • https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2020/6/1/mlb-mock-draft-30  
    • not sure how agreeable the owners would be to that. You still run smack dab into football conflicts
  • Popular Contributors