ShaneDawg85

Favorite Opening Day Memories

I know we're all feeling the weight of reality of everything going wrong in the world, because today would have been Opening Day.  Doubly so for me because I can see the stadium lights from my office window.  But much like the sun shining outside, good days will return eventually, and even though we can't have Opening Day today, I figured that didn't mean we couldn't talk about it.  What are some of your favorite Opening Day memories?  I've only actually been to Opening Day twice, but the first one I went to is still one of my favorites.

https://youtu.be/HqJUVvtuSaY

Hope usually springs eternal on Opening Day, but entering 2002, the first season without Cal since 1981, and opening against Clemens and the NYY there wasn't much reason to be optimistic.  For one day though, man that was a good day.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I know we're all feeling the weight of reality of everything going wrong in the world, because today would have been Opening Day.  Doubly so for me because I can see the stadium lights from my office window.  But much like the sun shining outside, good days will return eventually, and even though we can't have Opening Day today, I figured that didn't mean we couldn't talk about it.  What are some of your favorite Opening Day memories?  I've only actually been to Opening Day twice, but the first one I went to is still one of my favorites.

https://youtu.be/HqJUVvtuSaY

Hope usually springs eternal on Opening Day, but entering 2002, the first season without Cal since 1981, and opening against Clemens and the NYY there wasn't much reason to be optimistic.  For one day though, man that was a good day.

I was that game as well. We walked up the day of the game and bought bleacher tickets. I'll never forget that T-Bat grand slam. Track, Wall, See You LATER!

• Upvote 1

I remember going to Opening Day in 1973, Orioles vs. Brewers, an absolutely picture-perfect Friday afternoon.

I lived in Philadelphia at the time.  I took the train to Baltimore and headed up to Memorial Stadium from the train station.  I can remember that a lot of the trees along 33rd St. were decorated with posters made by local elementary school kids, all on the theme of "Welcome home, Orioles."

It was a day when everything went right for the Orioles.  They jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning and ended up winning, 10-0.  Dave McNally pitched a complete-game shutout, allowing only three hits, with no walks and one strikeout.  Don Baylor went 4-for-4 with three RBIs and was a single short of hitting for the cycle - he had two doubles, a triple, and a home run in the game.

The attendance was 26,543.  I remember hearing that the Orioles' management was thrilled with the turnout.  They had been expecting about 15,000.

• Upvote 2

Back in the late 1970s my Mother talked my Father (who was not a big sports fan but liked going to a game every now and then) into taking myself and my friend Jack to opening day. He got fairly good seats in the lower deck, but they were in shadow. A steady wind would always blow around the Memorial Stadium bowl whenever it was cold, and it was cold that day. After a while, it started to flurry. My Father couldn't take it after a while and said we had to move up to the upper deck. On the way up there he found a box and ripped off a piece to put it on his seat and shield his bad back from the wind. We got to the upper deck, and suddenly we were in the sunshine, the wind wasn't as bad up in the upper deck, and it became a Summertime game again. It was a lot of fun after we stopped trying to watch Winter baseball.

A couple of years ago I went to the opening day game that had the rain delay. I had a lot of fun during the delay standing in the right field courtyard talking about the upcoming season with the rest of the fans.

And I went to the game 2 years ago when Adam Jones won it in extra innings with a home run.

Good times!

Complaint: They never stock enough "Opening Day" pins. You have to arrive really early and run around to get one. They sell out fast.