section18

Will DeCosta Surprise Us And trade Up To Draft Mekhi Becton?

Will Eric DeCosta surprise us and trade up to draft Mekhi Becton from Louisville possibly the next JO ?

With Ronnie Stanley probably demanding 20 million next year this could be his last season with the Ravens.

JO started his career with us at guard and eventually moved to tackle his normal position..

Becton is 6'7" and 369 pounds while Ogden is 6'9" and 345 pounds.

Protect Lamar ! Draft Becton and possibly another big offensive lineman Robert Hunt with our first two picks to create a wall like on defense.

When you look at the video of Becton in action he tosses 260 pound linebackers around like they are light weights. Plug him in his first year at left or right guard and see what happens with Stanley.

How much you willing to give up to move to get to 10-15?  Browns, Jets, and Bucs (10, 11, 14) will be interested in OT.

I do like Hunt a lot.  

It'd be cost prohibitive to trade up for Becton.  If they traded up, I imagine it would be to secure a LB. I do, however, understand why you would like a OT.  Hunt is among the oldest prospects in the draft, which is a turn off for me. 

The OT's are all over the place recently.  If Becton goes earlier than 12 or 15 I'm seeing Austin Jackson 6'5" and 322 and Andrew Thomas 6'5" and 315 going in the mid 15-20 picks. Much easier to trade up to. 15-20.

Austin Jackson and some Michael Pittman

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/4/9/21198443/draft-insight-lt-austin-jackson

Andrew Thomas

9 hours ago, section18 said:

The OT's are all over the place recently.  If Becton goes earlier than 12 or 15 I'm seeing Austin Jackson 6'5" and 322 and Andrew Thomas 6'5" and 315 going in the mid 15-20 picks. Much easier to trade up to. 15-20.

Andrew Thomas

It would cost our 1st and one of our 2nds according to Draftek to get the Dolphins #18.

As much as I’d like to see them trade up for Queen it’s all really a pipe dream with the Ravens. 

"In general, trading up is dangerous, it's a little bit risky," DeCosta said

DeCosta said this year's draft is particularly deep, which means he'd like to take more shots than fewer.

From that standpoint, you're always better off having more picks than less picks. If you trade up, you give up picks. So you better get a guy that's going to be a difference-maker if you trade up."

"We love to make trades. The last two years especially, I think we've made a ton of trades, and it's been really fun for us. I think we've benefited from some of the trades that were made. This year, we do have a lot of [picks]. We have the opportunity to maybe go up and get a guy."

If you want to think bolder than trading up for Murray or Queen, how about the Ravens trading into the top 15 to get one of the top wide receiver prospects like CeeDee Lamb of Oklahoma, or Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III of Alabama?

Would the Ravens be willing to part with enough picks to get into the top 15? Don't count on it.

"I hesitate to say we would never trade up for a guy. A guy like (Ohio State edge rusher) Chase Young, if he starts to slip in the draft and we thought we might be able to get him, we'd probably see us trade up to try get him."

"You're always better off having more picks than less picks," DeCosta said. "When you trade up, you give up picks, so you better get a guy who's going to be a difference maker, if you trade.

But if there's an elite player available, you'd be foolish not to consider that."

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/eric-decosta-trading-up-in-round-1-is-risky

i don’t think they will trade up for a OL.....I think they’d do so for a skill player like Lamb or Jeudy. 

I think they can get their pick of Queen or Murray for the cost of their #2(60) pick and 

Here’s an idea looking at the Draftek value board

Ravens get Miami’s #18 (900) and #141 (35.5)and #153 (29)

Miami gets Ravens #28 (660), Ravens #60 (300) , #225 (1), and a conditional 2021 pick (a 6th or 7th based on the Ravens season) . 

12 hours ago, section18 said:

Will Eric DeCosta surprise us and trade up to draft Mekhi Becton from Louisville possibly the next JO ?

With Ronnie Stanley probably demanding 20 million next year this could be his last season with the Ravens.

JO started his career with us at guard and eventually moved to tackle his normal position..

Protect Lamar ! Draft Becton and possibly another big offensive lineman Robert Hunt with our first two picks to create a wall like on defense.

When you look at the video of Becton in action he tosses 260 pound linebackers around like they are light weights. Plug him in his first year at left or right guard and see what happens with Stanley.

No. Definitely not.

That answer includes all of the analysis needed.

8 hours ago, section18 said:

Andrew Thomas

I don’t think you would need to trade up to get Jackson.  He may not be there in the second, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fall.  He’s losing momentum as guys like Ezra Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson are rising.  I heard on some podcast that the Browns are hot for Cleveland and may move back to get him later in the first.

Pittman in the second would be a good pick.  He may fall back to the third, but he’d fit nicely with a late second.

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

I don’t think you would need to trade up to get Jackson.  He may not be there in the second, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fall.  He’s losing momentum as guys like Ezra Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson are rising.  I heard on some podcast that the Browns are hot for Cleveland and may move back to get him later in the first.

Pittman in the second would be a good pick.  He may fall back to the third, but he’d fit nicely with a late second.

PFF has Jackson rated #38 ... If they are indeed going to select him it would take a trade back from 28 or up from 55 or 60. I think someone will fall due to the annual QB reach. The Ravens will be ready to select that guy that drops.

I think them drafting a OT at this point is a pipe dream. Most of what I've read said that they are working on and planning on extending Stanley. I don't think you get his equal in Jackson.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

PFF has Jackson rated #38 ... If they are indeed going to select him it would take a trade back from 28 or up from 55 or 60. I think someone will fall due to the annual QB reach. The Ravens will be ready to select that guy that drops.

I think them drafting a OT at this point is a pipe dream. Most of what I've read said that they are working on and planning on extending Stanley. I don't think you get his equal in Jackson.

I think Jackson has some potential, but I don’t think he’s a good fit for a team like the Ravens who is ready to win now.  Isaiah Wilson, Niang, and Hunt would be the guys I’d consider for day 2.

47 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I think Jackson has some potential, but I don’t think he’s a good fit for a team like the Ravens who is ready to win now.  Isaiah Wilson, Niang, and Hunt would be the guys I’d consider for day 2.

I think Muti might also be available in the 2nd

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Muti might also be available in the 2nd

Yeah, he should be.  He’s more of an interior guy than the ones I listed.  He may drop some because of his injuries, but he could be an answer for guard.

18 hours ago, section18 said:

You have to keep Stanley.