Sign in to follow this  
backwardsk

Quarantined

We were told to take our laptops home on Friday March 13 and work from home.  It's been a little over a month now.  How are people holding up?  What kind of new routines have you gotten into and what has been the biggest challenges?

For us, my wife's hours have been scaled way back as she is primarily taking care of our children.  I'm about as productive as I am in the office, but it is so nice to not have the commute.  I get out of the house each day for a walk and I go to the store about once a week.  I haven't been since last Wednesday, but will go tonight.  We've been good about making our meals last, but it's the produce that keeps us from staying away more.  We choose one place on the weekend to pick up food or have it delivered.  I must say, Chik-Fil-a is a well oiled machine.  I went there on Saturday, didn't get of the car and nobody had to handle my credit card.  It was real efficient.  I have more of an opportunity to cook.  I made eggplant parm last week, and tried something called Obe Ata Stew.  It had chicken, spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers.  It turned out great!

I'm having anxiety about not being productive enough, but I'm focusing on keeping everybody healthy and keeping things afloat.  I have been spending some time on a professional re-certification that is due in July.  I've given up soda which I've failed to do many times before over the years.  I'm drinking less often than I thought I would, but am drinking way too much when I do.  I did a zoom Happy Hour last Friday and have one tonight.  We pulled off Easter pretty well.  Got dressed up, had an egg hunt, and a nice homemade lunch.  We surprised the grandparents with a visit as they sat on the porch and we sat in the back yard.

The homeschooling has been pretty frustrating.  The software that Fairfax County uses for distance learning has been a failure.  They tried it this week, but gave up on it and will try again on Monday hopefully.  They didn't have any security, so people were going into other classes and writing racist/threatening messages in the chats.  They had to shut it down.

I'm definitely missing sports.

What's everyone else up to?

Wish I worked in a industry that I could work for him.

Been off for 3 weeks.

Empty nesters, as my kids are all grown and married.

Used to have any number of the grandkids over, but now, related to seeing them on ZOOM.

We try and stay out of the stores, using peapod and instacart for deliveries.

When I go to the gas station, I take a clorex wipe and wipe the handle and screen.

When I come home, I go straight to the bathroom, shower and then clorex wipe anything I touched before cleaning, and put my clothes in the washer.

Even with all that, I still ended up catching the damn thing.

It was a bit stir crazy to stay at home and not see anybody, not go out and do anything. Watch way too much TV.

Then, you turn on the news, and see tornado damage, and people losing everything.

Make you grateful, that all we had to do was stay home.

I know 20K are dead in the USA because of COVID, and glad I am not one of those numbers. Makes you appreciate what you have, thats for sure.

Not wanting to take this political. I know some think the government is far too dictatorship in how they handled it.

I think the best thing that you can say. 98.5 survival rate in the US, is way higher than what other countries are seeing, and what our own government thought would be.

So for that I am grateful.

Working from home as I always do.   Wife is being payed to stay home for now Daughter misses her school but they do have work stuff online and a zoom session once a day.  

Getting peapod deliveries along with Blue Apron and Farmbox direct.  Haven’t been to a store in over 5 weeks.  

I usually took walks at lunch before this started and there was no one walking and now there are a million people walking.  So I don’t really walk too much now.  Doing things like Zumba and my daughters dance classes that her school posted online to stay healthy.

I find the whole thing depressing though.  I don’t care too much about sports to tell you the truth as I would just like to be able to get back to normal routine.

I’ve been amazed at how little my work efficiency has been disrupted.   At the office, my “normal” day is leave home at 7:30, start work 8:00, half hour lunch break at 1:00, leave office 6:30, home 7:00.    I’ve saved an hour of commuting, so now I’m starting work 8:00, break at 1 pm for lunch and a walk with my wife and dog, back at my desk at 2:15, stop work at 7:00.    Things are pretty busy at my law firm, as we’ve been advising clients on all the new legislation, helping them with the loan programs, etc.    

We brought my son home from California on Monday and he’ll be quarantined in his room for two weeks.     At lunch he joins us on our walk, with all three of us wearing masks and him trailing 6+ feet behind us.  

I hope some of you will enjoy the attached video, “Quarantown - The Musical” done by my daughter and son-in-law:

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been amazed at how little my work efficiency has been disrupted.   At the office, my “normal” day is leave home at 7:30, start work 8:00, half hour lunch break at 1:00, leave office 6:30, home 7:00.    I’ve saved an hour of commuting, so now I’m starting work 8:00, break at 1 pm for lunch and a walk with my wife and dog, back at my desk at 2:15, stop work at 7:00.    Things are pretty busy at my law firm, as we’ve been advising clients on all the new legislation, helping them with the loan programs, etc.    

We brought my son home from California on Monday and he’ll be quarantined in his room for two weeks.     At lunch he joins us on our walk, with all three of us wearing masks and him trailing 6+ feet behind us.  

I hope some of you will enjoy the attached video, “Quarantown - The Musical” done by my daughter and son-in-law:

Did they do the music on this?  Seems pretty professionally done.  

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

Did they do the music on this?  Seems pretty professionally done.  

Yes.   My son-in-law is a music director and regularly plays/directs at musicals around DC at theaters like Ford’s Theater, Arena Stage and Signature Theater.   He’s also a fantastic pianist and played all the music in this.    My daughter is a stage manager, and they both majored in music composition at the Carnegie Mellon School of Music, where they met.    The music itself comes from a musical called Urinetown that was on Broadway about 20 years ago.   

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes.   My son-in-law is a music director and regularly plays/directs at musicals around DC at theaters like Ford’s Theater, Arena Stage and Signature Theater.   He’s also a fantastic pianist and played all the music in this.    My daughter is a stage manager, and they both majored in music composition at the Carnegie Mellon School of Music, where they met.    The music itself comes from a musical called Urinetown that was on Broadway about 20 years ago.   

Cool stuff. 

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Frobby, that was great!  Brought a lot of smiles to our house.

Glad you liked it.    They’re both pretty witty people, in addition to having good musical abilities.   I’m hoping they do some more stuff with all this down time.     My son in law was just starting a 3-month run of Guys and Dolls at Ford’s Theater when they got shut down.  My daughter was between gigs but would have started her next show by now.     It’s going to be a tough year for them.    

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Your daughter has a GREAT voice! She should be singing, not managing.

• Thanks 2

I've been going out for groceries once a week. Convenience store for tobacco (roll my own) about every other week or so. Beer when I get groceries. Convenience store once a week for Powerball tix. Local restaurant for Ham and Bean soup couple times. To give them some business and because it's wonderful soup!

Try to make one trip out of the house to several stores. Gloved up every time with a tub of disinfectant wipes. New set of gloves for EVERY store. Plastic bag for the dead ones. Just started wearing a mask this week. Only a bandana across my face but better than nothing. I look like a western outlaw...

Sitting home, watching youboob. Turn on the TV for HGTV home remodels or O's Classics now and then. Talk on the Hangout. Poker at night. Kill time. Money is tight and the future is dark and scary.

I'm in the south-dead center of PA, right on the PA/MD border. The biggest "cities" next to me are Chambersburg and Hagerstown, both max 50,000 population. Wayne's Bar and Grill is 10,000 pop. Balmer/DC are 70 miles away. Philly is 200 miles. Pittsburgh is 250. Richmond 200+. Harrisburg 60. Rural small town so not a hot spot here really.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

I'm in the south-dead center of PA, right on the PA/MD border. The biggest "cities" next to me are Chambersburg and Hagerstown, both max 50,000 population. Wayne's Bar and Grill is 10,000 pop. Balmer/DC are 70 miles away. Philly is 200 miles. Pittsburgh is 250. Richmond 200+. Harrisburg 60. Rural small town so not a hot spot here really.

Hope it stays that way.  Hang in there.

• Upvote 2

Have not really altered my life at all. I go to work, I go shopping, I go visit friends. Have yet to hear anyone I know personally either catch this or know anyone who has. I did have to get a new job because the lock down killed a company I was working for.  It got a job paying more, and only 5 miles from my front door. Feeling blessed.