ThomasTomasz

Orioles announce Birdland Membership refund policy

Didn't see a thread on this, but it's big news.  

I'll link the FAQ at the bottom, but you have two options.  The first is take a 125% credit to your account for the March, April and May games, or request a refund of the cash amount.  

If you bought single game tickets from the box office, you have to contact them for a resolution.  If you bought from third-party sellers, you need to contact them to resolve your issue.  

FAQ link- https://www.mlb.com/orioles/team/update?affiliateId=DC-9418474-138306288503-124645354-1316217874

Now, for some thoughts from me.  

125% refund credit seems generous to me at first glance.    Assuming that no games are played in 2020, and this 125% credit continues, that means our entire 2021 package is paid by us already, with 3/4's of 2022 being covered by the Orioles.  That is basically asking the Orioles (and other teams) to not take cash for season tickets until the 2022 off-season, and only getting 1/4 of that value.  

For that reason, I find it VERY interesting that no mention is made in the FAQ about this credit paying down future years of Birdland Memberships.  It could be omitted, but I am going to email my account representative after making this post to seek clarification.

If they had offered me the credit on an "Orioles gift/debit card" to be used at the stadium for other things, I would be much more inclined to take it.  For me personally, I have money set aside for my Orioles and Redskins tickets.  To be able to not have to worry about concessions for the year (and even into next year) would be fantastic for me.  To be able to splurge on some memorabilia (even if we can only use the credit for 50% of items) would be awesome.  

However, just for tickets, and it's unclear if those can be used to pay down my own season tickets for future years?  Give me my money back so I can use it how I best see fit.  

Also, just on a value perspective, let's dive into my tickets.  I have the 29 game package for two seats since 2014 in section 56.  With parking. that's around $3500 a year.  My refund would be just under $1200.  When I first got that package, a lot of my friends weren't married, or working serious jobs, so I attend a lot less games with friends than I did.  If I am going by myself, I exchange the extra ticket with the exchange policy for another game, or I roll them into a giveaway day.  If I want to purchase a single game ticket, I always go to the secondary market now because prices are so much cheaper.  So the extra 25% will really mean less to me than having my own cash back now, to invest/use how I please.  

If we can't roll this into season tickets, I'm absolutely getting the refund.  If we can roll it into season tickets, chances are I will still get the refund but I am still thinking about that one. 

• Upvote 1

You mentioned 2022.The Orioles lease runs out in 2021 and want something from the MSA before signing.Not sure how much money the MSA will be able to upgrade the stadium after terrible revenue from the state and city after Covid -19 Also what type of lease will be signed.I guess most states will be in the same situation  But always a chance a city and state will offer a better overall package 

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

If we can't roll this into season tickets, I'm absolutely getting the refund.  If we can roll it into season tickets, chances are I will still get the refund but I am still thinking about that one. 

Cool let us know what you find out.

I'm inclined to take the 125%, but then I only got one ticket for the cheapest 13-game plan offered (~ $200).  So I have less invested.  I use my Birdland membership more for the discounts on tickets, concessions, etc.  If crediting my account would help the Orioles stay afloat, help pay lost wages to the seasonal staff, and lower the risk of the Orioles leaving town in 2021, seems worth it to me.

Very confused on how this works.

I bought the opening day 5 pack and got the email about the 125% credit. Log in to my account and see nothing except 3 of the 5 games being postponed. I'd obviously like to use my credit to purchase tickets once games start up again.

Is the $ amount of the credit not available yet or am I looking in the wrong place?

Very generous offer, I am excited to accept it. I am assuming the credit is good for Season tickets in the future, it doesn't make much sense otherwise, since that is what we are being refunded on.

Obviously my situation is different than most, as I live in view of the stadium, so my opportunity cost to attend games is lower than most other people's, but I will almost definitely attend more games next season, and switch into more expensive seats as a result of this policy.

Hoping that we get a full season with fans in 2021, and I am glad to see that the credit is good until 2022, just in case.

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Very generous offer, I am excited to accept it. I am assuming the credit is good for Season tickets in the future, it doesn't make much sense otherwise, since that is what we are being refunded on.

Obviously my situation is different than most, as I live in view of the stadium, so my opportunity cost to attend games is lower than most other people's, but I will almost definitely attend more games next season, and switch into more expensive seats as a result of this policy.

Hoping that we get a full season with fans in 2021, and I am glad to see that the credit is good until 2022, just in case.

Yeah, it's a damn good deal if we get to roll the money into season tickets in future years.  However, as I pointed out, that would mean they aren't taking in a lot of money in 2022, and no money in 2021 (unless they have new members.......which I imagine will be few in numbers.). However, them not saying anything about that immediately put a red flag in my mind, so I asked my rep.  I will make sure to pass on the answer when I get it.  

6 hours ago, notfast said:

I bought the opening day 5 pack and got the email about the 125% credit. Log in to my account and see nothing except 3 of the 5 games being postponed. I'd obviously like to use my credit to purchase tickets once games start up again.

Is the $ amount of the credit not available yet or am I looking in the wrong place?

So I just logged into my account.  The first page is a list of my games, and I can only see June 5th and later.  I can not buy anything, but I can get into my games to sell or transfer (doubt the transfer works.). 

You may need to email the account listed in the FAQ (unless you were assigned a rep) to figure out more.  The only thing clear from the FAQ is that you need to get the refund request in by a certain time.  

18 hours ago, notfast said:

I don't see any credit on my account either.  I had the 13 game plan, 2 seats, and I also put out $400 for 8 Opening Day tickets, so I'm looking at a hefty cash refund.  I'm confused by who to contact for the refund though as there is nothing at all about this on my Orioles/Myaccount page.

37 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I don't see any credit on my account either.  I had the 13 game plan, 2 seats, and I also put out $400 for 8 Opening Day tickets, so I'm looking at a hefty cash refund.  I'm confused by who to contact for the refund though as there is nothing at all about this on my Orioles/Myaccount page.

We certainly recognize that the COVID-19 pandemic has created great hardships for many families and businesses. The Orioles will also offer fans the choice of a full refund for the impacted games, if preferred. Refund requests will be processed within 30 days and must be received by June 30, 2020. Fans are encouraged to reach out to their dedicated Orioles representative or call 1-888-848-BIRD to pursue this option.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, ThomasTomasz said:

For that reason, I find it VERY interesting that no mention is made in the FAQ about this credit paying down future years of Birdland Memberships.  It could be omitted, but I am going to email my account representative after making this post to seek clarification.  

However, just for tickets, and it's unclear if those can be used to pay down my own season tickets for future years?  Give me my money back so I can use it how I best see fit.  

I received this response in this from the Orioles' Birdland Member Services Team, and the answer is yes the refund can be applied towards season ticket costs.  The value of my tickets through May 31 is $71, and the response was very detailed in the math -- well done by the Member Services Team.

"I apologize for the confusion, but yes! The 125% Game Credit can be used towards season ticket costs until the end of the regular season in 2022.  

For impacted games, including all home games from March 26 through and including May 31, you have the choice to receive a 125% Game Credit on your account which would total $88.75. The full value of your tickets is $71, so that is $17.75 of bonus credit on top of your full ticket value that you’ve earned simply by being a ticket buyer.  

That game credit can be used for regular season games, membership renewals, seat upgrades, private rentals, and more all the way through the end of the regular season in 2022."

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, beantownrefugee said:

I received this response in this from the Orioles' Birdland Member Services Team, and the answer is yes the refund can be applied towards season ticket costs.  The value of my tickets through May 31 is $71, and the response was very detailed in the math -- well done by the Member Services Team.

"I apologize for the confusion, but yes! The 125% Game Credit can be used towards season ticket costs until the end of the regular season in 2022.  

For impacted games, including all home games from March 26 through and including May 31, you have the choice to receive a 125% Game Credit on your account which would total $88.75. The full value of your tickets is $71, so that is $17.75 of bonus credit on top of your full ticket value that you’ve earned simply by being a ticket buyer.  

That game credit can be used for regular season games, membership renewals, seat upgrades, private rentals, and more all the way through the end of the regular season in 2022."

He went into a lot more detail than my rep did, but this does appear to be the case.  I will edit the OP.  

EDIT: guess I can't edit the OP.  

Also, I am still on the fence about asking for my money back.  This is very tempting to have it all paid for almost through 2022, but I also like having my money working for me.  Decisions, decisions. 

Edited by ThomasTomasz

8 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Also, I am still on the fence about asking for my money back.  This is very tempting to have it all paid for almost through 2022, but I also like having my money working for me.  Decisions, decisions. 

I'm taking the 125% credit.  The equivalent of a 25% bond for a (max) 2-year term ain't bad.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, beantownrefugee said:

I'm taking the 125% credit.  The equivalent of a 25% bond for a (max) 2-year term ain't bad.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, beantownrefugee said:

Interest rates are near zero. ))))