Jump to content
Greg Pappas

Judon: Keep for a year, extend, or trade?

Recommended Posts

I'm curious to get some opinions regarding:

  • Do you wish to see the Ravens trade Judon? If so, what would you be satisfied with in return? As well, how do you replace him?
  • If you prefer we keep him, do you want to extend him? If so what do you think is reasonable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm curious to get some opinions regarding:

  • Do you wish to see the Ravens trade Judon? If so, what would you be satisfied with in return? As well, how do you replace him?
  • If you prefer we keep him, do you want to extend him? If so what do you think is reasonable?

We've discussed this in another thread and I believe Judon is on the team this year. The closer you get to the season the harder it will be to trade him. Matthews had 8ish sacks in only 13 games and Clowney likely will be close to the same cost without trade compensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We've discussed this in another thread and I believe Judon is on the team this year. The closer you get to the season the harder it will be to trade him. Matthews had 8ish sacks in only 13 games and Clowney likely will be close to the same cost without trade compensation.

I looked for a thread regarding Judon and just found the one I started in March about him being franchise tagged. Figured a new thread works.  I agree with you that it's likely he stays, but I'm curious about what folks want to see happen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I looked for a thread regarding Judon and just found the one I started in March about him being franchise tagged. Figured a new thread works.  I agree with you that it's likely he stays, but I'm curious about what folks want to see happen.

I dont think anyone here believes that Judon is worth his tender. But we still have only 1 competent defensive end and its him. Unless you are trading him out with Clowney you have little choice but to keep him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had asked me two weeks ago pre-draft, I'd say trade him for a second and prioritize pass rush right behind LB.

Now that we are after the draft, I think it's in our best interest to keep him. We won't be able to find a high-end replacement at this point, and while I like the idea of bringing in a Matthews or McPhee or Golden to complement a high-end option, I don't like the idea of needing to bring in two that we need to rely on. 

I also don't like the idea of extending him long-term. He's proven serviceable, but I don't see him providing a value, or even a net-neutral value. If he's going to sign for 16-18-20mil, I'd rather bring in someone else who can cross the ten-sack threshold.

With Stanley, Humphrey, and Jackson all going to take contracts in the mid-teens and higher, the only people we should be extending at market rate are high-end performers. Otherwise, continue to groom and develop young players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I dont think anyone here believes that Judon is worth his tender. But we still have only 1 competent defensive end and its him. Unless you are trading him out with Clowney you have little choice but to keep him.

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dorfmac said:

If you had asked me two weeks ago pre-draft, I'd say trade him for a second and prioritize pass rush right behind LB.

Now that we are after the draft, I think it's in our best interest to keep him. We won't be able to find a high-end replacement at this point, and while I like the idea of bringing in a Matthews or McPhee or Golden to complement a high-end option, I don't like the idea of needing to bring in two that we need to rely on. 

I also don't like the idea of extending him long-term. He's proven serviceable, but I don't see him providing a value, or even a net-neutral value. If he's going to sign for 16-18-20mil, I'd rather bring in someone else who can cross the ten-sack threshold.

With Stanley, Humphrey, and Jackson all going to take contracts in the mid-teens and higher, the only people we should be extending at market rate are high-end performers. Otherwise, continue to groom and develop young players.

An excellent post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...