Sign in to follow this  
half hop

Favorite O's Writer

who is/was your favorite O's beat writer of all time? and who is your favorite columnist of all time? I go with Kenny Rosenthal for both.

Roch. I know he rarely breaks any news first but he just cracks me up sometimes.

okay, yes, Boswell is awesome...but I meant Baltimore -based columnist...I go back to the mid 60s but, again, loved Kenny. Also enjoyed Littwin. Schmuck is my least favorite.

Boswell was great.    Richard Justice also was excellent.     As a Washington Post reader, I never read any of the Sun beat writers until around the time the Nats moved to DC and the Post cut back it’s O’s coverage.     Of the Sun beat writers since then, I’d probably vote for Jeff Zrebiec.   

Just now, half hop said:

Also can't forget John Steadman of The News American.

Showing my age but I have to say John Steadman as well.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, half hop said:

Also can't forget John Steadman of The News American.

The guy who wanted the warehouse torn down.  Couldn’t stand him,  Amything he wrote I had the opposite opinion.

Not a beat writer (I don't think... I think he's a native Balmerian) I always liked Tim Kurkjian's take on anything Orioles. Always deeply knowledgeable of the whole system, not just the highlights and "talking points" 95% of other national writers regress to. Knows his [poop] and knows baseball in general, from the VERY beginning in "1869" until the very present day.

OsFanSinceThe80s, your picture didn't spark my memory on Tim. I was halfway up the thread catching up and something made me think of him. Weird coincidence tho. 😛

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Boswell was great.    Richard Justice also was excellent.     As a Washington Post reader, I never read any of the Sun beat writers until around the time the Nats moved to DC and the Post cut back it’s O’s coverage.     Of the Sun beat writers since then, I’d probably vote for Jeff Zrebiec.   

He was good. I liked Britt Ghiroli too. She was not in her home market, I'm not even sure baseball is her #1 sport. But she dove into it and was again, knowledgeable about the WHOLE system. Aside from being very easy on the eyes Britt was (is still) a VERY good writer. Always technically perfect (like Roch) but very clever and insightful. Saw details and angles that no one else did.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I and others have already agreed that is largely money driven but it's a combination of the money and what Nunez brings to the table.   If Nunez was an average or slightly below average 3B, they would gladly pay him the 2M or whatever.  They believe he's easily replaceable,  whether that be Stewart being the DH or a rotation of players into that spot while players like Valaika and Mullins give starters days off in the field.  Again, I agree the O's are being cheap. No argument there.  I just don't have a problem with their cheapness with this move.
    • I think they’ll give him a full year in the minors with stops in AA/AAA. Maybe a taste of the MLB for 5-10 games. Severino is here till the deadline or next offseason, unless someone offers us a good trade. Hopefully, Severino and Sisco, make the most of these 2021 ABs and fetch us some trade value. 
    • And likely spend more money doing it.
    • This doesn’t make sense. DH is a full time position.  None of those guys will be a full time DH until Diaz is here and even then, injuries could still make none of a full time DH.  Just because a spot start here and there could occur isn’t even something to mention. If you are arguing that these guys are all so much more valuable than Nunez, you are doing it because they are better in the field and on the bases...if you make one of them a full time DH, you take away a lot of that “extra value”.  At that point, you are then saying, who is the more valuable hitter. Well, only Mountcastle and likely Mancini are better and more valuable hitters than Nunez.  Santander and Hays aren’t.  Iglesias maybe is but his career says he’s not.  We have no idea about Diaz yet.     Diaz isn’t likely to be on the team for a while anyway.
    • Is the NL keeping the DH long term?  Will there be expanded rosters next year and beyond?  Nunez offers no versatility.    The NL DH would help Nunez, but expanded rosters hurt him. Teams can piece together his offensive production with platoons. 
    • Here the guys that will play DH for the O's this year: (6) Mancini, Mountcastle,  Hays, Santander, Diaz and maybe Iglesias. All need at bats.  All are more valuable than Nunez.   Plus the O's have Stewart who is cheaper and if the other 6 are healthy may be in AAA.    There is no place for Nunez to get enough at bats to be productive with those players on the roster.
    • I don’t see Shaw staying on the 40 man all offseason. Once FA really kicks in, teams will face roster crunches and he will be more likely to clear waivers. Heck, he just cleared the whole NL.    He is AAA depth. A dart throw. I don’t think this relates to Nunez at all. 
  • Popular Contributors