Sign in to follow this  
half hop

Favorite O's Writer

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

Not a beat writer (I don't think... I think he's a native Balmerian) I always liked Tim Kurkjian's take on anything Orioles. Always deeply knowledgeable of the whole system, not just the highlights and "talking points" 95% of other national writers regress to. Knows his [poop] and knows baseball in general, from the VERY beginning in "1869" until the very present day.

OsFanSinceThe80s, your picture didn't spark my memory on Tim. I was halfway up the thread catching up and something made me think of him. Weird coincidence tho. 😛

He was the O's beat writer from 1986 to 1989 for The Sun. Kurkjian would also do pregame sometimes on Home Team Sports Orioles broadcasts. HIs appearances on Sportscenter with Scott Van Pelt are legendary.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think anytime Schmuck writes a farewell article it would be great.

Kicking a guy on his way out the door?

I hope he enjoys his retirement as much as you apparently will.       

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kicking a guy on his way out the door?

I hope he enjoys his retirement as much as you apparently will.       

I've never shied away from my dislike of the man's work.

That being said I've nothing against him personally and also hope he has a great retirement.

I was going to mention Schmuck. Another writer that always made me laugh. Any time I see him mentioned, or just think about him, it makes me smile. He seems like just that sort of guy.

Haven't read his stuff in quite a while because I can't afford a subscription to The Sun, and wouldn't anyways because I don't pay for crap on the internet.

QDJ6P6PR2BGPDFNAPN2EZAHEDA.jpg

..... OK, I pay for VERY little.

Not Baltimore-based, but Boswell is my favorite.  Even growing up in Baltimore, I never read the Washington Post as a kid and never heard of Boswell.  So when I went to college in the 1990s, I remember stumbling across some baseball books at the school bookstore.  I bought Cracking the Show and I could not believe how many Orioles articles there were.  It was so cool reading that many stories about my favorite team while I was away from home.  And he is a fantastic writer. 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:40 PM, 24fps said:

Tom Boswell.

Boswell is a very good writer, but he certainly allowed his desire for baseball to return to DC and his loathing of the Angeloses to cloud his objectivity.  For about the last 20 years he became more stridently pro-DC and somewhere between ambivalent towards or anti-Orioles.  Every time the Nats didn't win it all it was Peter Angelos' fault. 

I get it, you try to find scapegoats for your favorite team's failings.  And Angelos did negotiate an agreement that gives the Orioles a larger share of the DC-Baltimore pie than the market would have given them.  Sucks when there's a monopoly that's not directing the fruits of it's anti-competitive actions your direction.

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Boswell is a very good writer, but he certainly allowed his desire for baseball to return to DC and his loathing of the Angeloses to cloud his objectivity.  For about the last 20 years he became more stridently pro-DC and somewhere between ambivalent towards or anti-Orioles.  Every time the Nats didn't win it all it was Peter Angelos' fault. 

I get it, you try to find scapegoats for your favorite team's failings.  And Angelos did negotiate an agreement that gives the Orioles a larger share of the DC-Baltimore pie than the market would have given them.  Sucks when there's a monopoly that's not directing the fruits of it's anti-competitive actions your direction.

This is the reason why I'm not a Tom Boswell fan any longer. I get it he's writing for a DC audience, but it feels cheap the way he dropped the O's for the Nationals as soon as the Nets has some success. Blame MLB for the MASN deal since they approved it. 

On 5/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, scOtt said:

I was going to mention Schmuck. Another writer that always made me laugh. Any time I see him mentioned, or just think about him, it makes me smile. He seems like just that sort of guy.

Haven't read his stuff in quite a while because I can't afford a subscription to The Sun, and wouldn't anyways because I don't pay for crap on the internet.

QDJ6P6PR2BGPDFNAPN2EZAHEDA.jpg

..... OK, I pay for VERY little.

Smuck was one of the few Sun reporters to write about Angelos and his failings as owner.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is the reason why I'm not a Tom Boswell fan any longer. I get it he's writing for a DC audience, but it feels cheap the way he dropped the O's for the Nationals as soon as the Nets has some success. Blame MLB for the MASN deal since they approved it. 

Not sure that was a Boswell decision or the Post. As their city got a team back, he was probably directed to point his attention to the Nats. Granted, he did have a low tolerance for Angelos, but thats not hard to figure out why, and the man has done enough things to warrant criticisms.

14 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Blame MLB for the MASN deal since they approved it. 

It was a long series of actions designed to protect the owners from competition and prop up their franchise values.  MLB decided that the owners each had a sphere of influence no one else could intrude upon.  MLB decided that the AL and the NL were basically the same league and wouldn't compete.  MLB let owners relocate throughout the 50s and 60s almost anytime they wanted, leaving large markets without teams, or at least strange, lopsided arrangements like Baltimore "owning" the DC area.  MLB let individual teams own all their local media rights, enforcing the large disparities in market size.

Relocating the Expos and the MASN deal was a very messy, protracted solution to something a free market would have solved in about 20 minutes.

15 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is the reason why I'm not a Tom Boswell fan any longer. I get it he's writing for a DC audience, but it feels cheap the way he dropped the O's for the Nationals as soon as the Nets has some success.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure that was a Boswell decision or the Post. As their city got a team back, he was probably directed to point his attention to the Nats. 

Boswell was always a strong advocate for the return of baseball to DC.    He grew up in Washington rooting for the Senators.   As a writer for a Washington newspaper, of course he was going to direct his attention towards the DC team once they had one.   To suggest he did it once the Nats had some success is wrong.     He did it immediately upon Washington getting a team.    

I wrote to Boswell two years ago about one of his columns, and mentioned that I was an O’s fan.    He wrote me back that he still has an affinity for the O’s, and that his son, who grew up going to O’s games when DC had no team, is still principally an O’s fan.   So, he’s not nothing against the O’s.    He hates Peter Angelos for trying to keep a team out of DC for so long, and for protracting the MASN dispute, which undoubtedly has hurt the Nats.     

None of that changes the fact that when he was covering the O’s, he did a fantastic job.     

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

None of that changes the fact that when he was covering the O’s, he did a fantastic job.     

He did, and so did his mention, Shirley Porvich. 

He is by far, my fav writer, and hated when the Post when to pay page for their news.

I enjoying reading Roch for his quips and funny sense of humor. He will never will a Pulitzer prize as a beat reporter, because that's not his gig.