Sign in to follow this  
cboemmeljr

On This Day In 1970: May 16

#50THANNIVERSARY

On this day in 1970, the Orioles again defeated the Washington Senators by a score of 4-3.  Dave McNally recorded his 7th win of the season with a 7.1 inning effort that saw him give up 3 runs on 6 hits while walking 3 and striking out 6.  Eddie Watt earned the save with a 1.2 inning, 2 K effort.

Brooks hit a 4th inning 3-run homer and Frank went 2 for 3 with 1 run scored as well.  

Boog Powell's 5th inning RBI single put the Birds ahead to stay.

Casey Cox was the losing pitcher for the Senators.

BOX SCORE

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I think you undervalued Tate he has been pretty good for late inning guy.  He has been almost unhittable vs righties with .111 average against and been ok vs lefties.  He still needs to work on his command some but the stuff is major league for backend of pen. The one bad one looks like the Gausman trade but he has never been consistent enough even getting released by the Braves.  I thought Encarcion was a nice get in that trade as a young third baseman that looked promising after a solid start of year at 18 in A ball.  So far we haven%to seen the improvement that we had hoped and now loss year for many prospects.  It will be intersting what happens to everyone with this year break.  We don’t know how much time most of the prospects have had to play games and train.  Some guys might have had a huge advantage compared to others especially international guys.
    • I can’t find the thread, but three starts ago someone was wondering if Means could get his ERA down below 5 by the end of the year, and I was saying that would be extremely difficult.    He’s now at 5.02, and if he gets his next out without allowing a run his ERA will be below 5.    What a strong finish he’s having — hopefully he can put together one more strong start and end the season on a very high note.   
    • For sure. I like the bat, but if he can't play SS, I'm not sure there's a spot on the roster for him
    • On this day in 1970, the Baltimore Orioles defeated the Cleveland Indians as Jim Palmer won his 20th game of the season with a 7-0 complete game shutout.  Palmer allowed just 4 hits, including doubles by John Lowenstein and Vada Pinson, while walking 3 and striking out 8. Mark Belanger led the way with a 4 for 4 game in which he tripled, scored 3 runs and had 3 RBI.  Brooks Robinson went 1 for 3 with 1 run scored and 2 RBI to contribute to the winning effort. BOX SCORE
    • It's the most Wander-ful time, of the year. Wander Franco has been called up. He could replace an injured player on the playoff roster.  
    • I don't think the sad face was intentional.  Certain character sequences get converted to smilies and you can't stop it. I've run into it with a numbered list, with an 8 flowed by a close parenthesis. ... 6) 7) 😎 9) 10)
    • He’s very weak defensively at SS.  
  • Popular Contributors