Sign in to follow this  
scOtt

Corona Virus Talk

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Yes there is a non zero risk. There was/is a non zero risk from influenza

Will you at least acknowledge that there is a risk to missing  1 1/2 years of education? An emotional toll on young children isolated from other young children? Developmental issues that may take years to unwind and analyze. 

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Will you at least acknowledge that there is a risk to missing  1 1/2 years of education? An emotional toll on young children isolated from other young children? Developmental issues that may take years to unwind and analyze. 

Of course.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:16 AM, Frobby said:

1,064 deaths in Florida last week.   Texas and Arizona also set new weekly records.    The good news is that new cases declined a bit in all three states last week.    Hopefully that continues and the death rate will drop off in a week or two.   

In Maryland, we had our first weekly drop in new cases since the week ending June 22, and we only lost 58 souls, which is our lowest total since the week ending April 6.    

I think what is concerning is that while the heavy states like AZ, FL, TX, and CA may be experiencing somewhat of a decline in new cases, the overall number of new cases isn’t falling too much.  Meaning other states such as NC, MO, SC, TN, and OH are picking up.

The seven day moving average of new cases was under 60k on June 13, peaked (for the moment) at 67k a week ago and is at 65k today.

AZ appears to be improving quicker than FL, TX, and CA.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:11 PM, SilverRocket said:

Summary of the variety of symptoms seen from Covid so far: https://www.ucsf.edu/magazine/covid-body

I had severe lung inflammation for 5-6 days but only a slight fever the first day, with no loss of smell or taste. I do feel like there may be something happening with my heart but not anything like the lungs. 

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The issue is that people who do risky activities - like going to bars - just don't stay in bars forever. They go to the grocery store, they walk in their neighborhoods, they possibly are going to work, they come in close contact with people.

When they are in grocery stores, etc they are mandated to wear masks and the vulnerable people (who should not be in grocery schools or at work) also wear masks, and there is no need to have close contact with anyone if you feel vulnerable. Covid 19 is not some magic ether. All the data indicates that you need to be with a contagious person in a confined (indoor space) for a significant amount of time (definately > 15 minutes). We can ( and should have) protected the vulnerable without shutting down the economy and the schools. The damage from printing fake money and isolating children will be far greater and last far longer than any direct effects of the virus. Our public policy has been a dissaster.

I think you have ventured into political discussion the last couple of posts.   So I won’t respond other than to say I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some.   

On 7/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, Frobby said:

I think you have ventured into political discussion the last couple of posts.   So I won’t respond other than to say I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some.   

Personally, I try and totally stay out of the stores. Instacart for food, door-dash for home dining, even my meds is done curbside.  Pretty much, Amazon and the other box stores provide you with anything else you want to purchase. :)

Recent news in our area the past 48 hours, has been about outdoor exposure being the leading cause for covid cases.

I think people dont realize if, even when they are just fine and healthy, there is a 2 week period, they can infect others.

Which is why the mask is a necessary thing, yes, its a nuisance and a real PITA, but so is getting COVID.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Personally, I try and totally stay out of the stores. Instacart for food, door-dash for home dining, even my meds is done curbside.  Pretty much, Amazon and the other box stores provide you with anything else you want to purchase. :)

Recent news in our area the past 48 hours, has been about outdoor exposure being the leading cause for covid cases.

I think people dont realize if, even when they are just fine and healthy, there is a 2 week period, they can infect others.

Which is why the mask is a necessary thing, yes, its a nuisance and a real PITA, but so is getting COVID.

You should still have active anti-bodies right?

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You should still have active anti-bodies right?

My GP believes so, but I can still carry it to others.

There are isolated cases, where people are believed to catch the damn thing twice.

Thats one statistic that I would like to stay away from.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:12 AM, allquixotic said:

Young men are also at zero risk of dying in a car crash, so we shouldn't have them wear seatbelts. Also, load up their cars with as many passengers as you can fit, of all ages, and don't let any of those passengers wear seatbelts, either. And make every player drink 6 shots of whiskey before they get behind the wheel.

That's the kind of risk you're talking about. If you can live with that, well... okay. Brace yourself for between 3 and 10 MLB players dying before the season's out, and prepare for most of them to be on the Bereavement List as they infect and kill their parents.

The facts disagree with you. People of all ages and fitness can die of COVID-19. Being young and physically fit does not make you immune to death from COVID-19. I'm not sure how else to restate this. Yes, the percentage is "very, very low" compared to old or unhealthy people, but it's not zero. The difference between zero and "very, very low" percentage is the difference between something that never happens -- like the Earth getting swallowed by a black hole -- and something that rarely happens, like a nuclear power plant exploding, an airliner crashing, or a safe and cautious driver getting killed in a car. 

For comparison, a healthy young man has a much lower chance of dying in a plane crash than dying of COVID-19. But we invest many billions of dollars in aviation safety. Are you of the opinion that we should completely dismantle all safety regulations in aviation and just allow people to fly planes wherever and whenever, and accept the occasional crash as routine? Well, not just occasional -- if there are no regulations, the rate of crashes will be much higher than it is now. 

Actually, that's a parallel between disease control and aviation safety: by investing effort into preventing things from happening, you can reduce the chance of them happening. And we as a society have collectively decided that people who don't value safety are wrong, and we have decided that putting billions of dollars toward prevention of bad things is a worthwhile endeavor. If you disagree, I think there are some other countries that value safety less than the level it's baked into the United States' culture, so you're welcome to go there.

The problem is you can't prevent everything.

Btw. everyone in my Family works with the public everyday. Same jobs we have had for years. No issues at all.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:21 AM, backwardsk said:

I think what is concerning is that while the heavy states like AZ, FL, TX, and CA may be experiencing somewhat of a decline in new cases, the overall number of new cases isn’t falling too much.  Meaning other states such as NC, MO, SC, TN, and OH are picking up.

The seven day moving average of new cases was under 60k on June 13, peaked (for the moment) at 67k a week ago and is at 65k today.

AZ appears to be improving quicker than FL, TX, and CA.

You can’t compare anything from June without comparing testing volume. 

On 7/29/2020 at 7:56 AM, webbrick2010 said:

If we are going to have sports this year we need to 

1. Accept that young men are at zero risk of becoming ill from Covid-19. We should suspend all testing and just let the virus spread and run its course thru ML rosters

2. All coaching should be done remotely. The coaches who are at risk should never come within 50 feet of any player and should never share any facilities. The 1B/3B coaching can be done by the players just like it has always been done in slow pitch softball rules

The average age of a Covid-19 death is 78. The government could have used this fact and we would have had herd immunity by now. We know exactly who is vulnerable and we know who is not but we choose to treat everyone as an equal risk. Makes no sense.

Please tell us you forgot to click on the sarcasm emoji.

18 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Btw. everyone in my Family works with the public everyday. Same jobs we have had for years. No issues at all.

I honestly hope your luck doesn't run out.

16 hours ago, eddie83 said:

You can’t compare anything from June without comparing testing volume. 

It's not due to testing, just like it's not like the flu either. These are talking points.

Take a look at the hospitalizations per month, we have exceeded in July the peak of April. These are people hospitalized with Covid, it's not due to "testing volume":

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1289327679666188288?s=20

On 7/30/2020 at 9:49 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Comparing this to the flu discredits your entire argument. This is a hackneyed talking point.