weams

MLB Pipeline: Austin Martin

I've not followed the draft as closely as I would like, but if for whatever reason the Tigers don't draft Torkelson, is it simply given that the Orioles will have to?

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I've not followed the draft as closely as I would like, but if for whatever reason the Tigers don't draft Torkelson, is it simply given that the Orioles will have to?

I don't think so. There are some questions about his pure hit tool and his limits as a somewhat small right-handed hitting 1B. That said, it seems likely he would still be the pick.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't really see the problem with that. But I also like to go to polo matches and horse races.  I wish I was a Wahoo but I went to lowly GMU. :( 

Don't be so down on yourself, George Washington is a pretty decent school! 😉

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, weams said:

A lot of Betts comps. 

I'll be surprised if Betts is a good comp for Austin Martin.   I don't think he has Betts arm, speed or power.  IMO Dustin Pedroia is a better comp.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'll be surprised if Betts is a good comp for Austin Martin.   I don't think he has Betts arm, speed or power.  IMO Dustin Pedroia is a better comp.

Dustin Pedroia is 5 feet 5 inches tall.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

and Betts is 5' 9".

And Martin is a square six. So is Javy Baez. Another comp I've heard multiple times.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Martin agreed to terms with the Blue Jays.   Bonus amount not known yet.

Wonder if they are going to put him on the 60?

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

Martin agreed to terms with the Blue Jays.   Bonus amount not known yet.

How much do you think he got?  Anything over 6.7m will make this the second highest bonus player.   The #5 slot is 6.18m.    The Jays can probably go to 6.9m without losing a draft pick but they has to pay at least a 75% tax for everything over slot.   But Boras probably cost him money with his demands for the rumored 8.4m #1 slot money demand.    It seems unlikely that Martin got the 7.8m #2 slot money.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How much do you think he got?  Anything over 6.7m will make this the second highest bonus player.   The #5 slot is 6.18m.    The Jays can probably go to 6.9m without losing a draft pick but they has to pay at least a 75% tax for everything over slot.   But Boras probably cost him money with his demands for the rumored 8.4m #1 slot money demand.    It seems unlikely that Martin got the 7.8m #2 slot money.

What I find interesting is the deadline isn't until Aug first.  So negotiations couldn't have been that difficult given Boras' penchant for waiting to sign.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Very sad to hear this.  Damned this pandemic.
    • Lamar threw for 2800 yards in 15 games, and most people agree he had a down year.  If there's someone who can get open and hold on to the damn ball, there are easily 1100 yards available to a receiver that wants them. Is Allen Robinson too rich for us?  I'd be ok with Godwin or Golladay.  I'd lean toward Godwin because he is more comfortable in the slot which plays to Jackson's strengths, and because while Golladay gets contested balls I don't like that he's mediocre at creating separation.   I was (and still am) against addressing WR in the early rounds of the draft, but I'd love a top tier WR via FA or trade.  I wasn't really convinced about it until seeing the difference it made for Allen and Kyler Murray.  I personally think Allen is only marginally better than he was last year, but the fact that he has Diggs to throw to now has turned him into a pro bowler.
    • Again, some of us expressed these same “excuses” for Joe and people pushed back on it. Now that it’s Lamar, we are supposed to accept them and give him the benefit of the doubt.
    • I thought this was put to rest when he beat Tennessee in the playoffs?  Think of how few opportunities he has had to lead the team back from a deficit, with how infrequently we are trailing?  What about the Cleveland game?  Anyways, this could really just go back and forth all day about why you do or don't like Lamar.  FWIW in the playoff game against the Bills he had ATS (Ample Time and Space) to throw on 7 of his 40 drop backs.  Specifically, I remember the wide open throw to Andrews at the sideline thinking WTF.  Watch the all 22 and watch Powers get walked right back to Lamar as soon as the ball is snapped.  Call it what you want, but I watched some of the worst offensive line play down the stretch I have ever seen.  Poor snaps, no pass protection, poor blitz pickups, you name it.  Of course some of this falls on Lamar to recognize coverages and blitzers pre snap.  But lets give the guy a break.  He's easily the most exciting offensive player/weapon we have ever had in Baltimore.   Its actually factually incorrect that people should be concerned with a "running qb being more prone" to injuries. So let's stop with that too.     https://www.theundroppables.com/medical-myths-mobile-qbs/ https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/   Just a couple links to pass some time.  
    • They will only allow Orioles state media for  pre and post game shows. Getting bloggers and journalists on would be good exposure and bring in some much needed diverse viewpoints. 
    • There's a ton of pitchers in the division who have had good seasons at one point or another but whose careers have been derailed by injury or decline, or who are coming back from significant injuries.   Richards, Cobb, Wacha, Kluber, Taillon, Sale, Rodriguez, Richards.   I can imagine each guy on that list providing absolutely nothing to their team this season (zero or negative war) -- but each one of them could also put up a good season if they are healthy and the circumstances are right. If Paxton or Archer signs with an AL East team, that would be two more names to that list. Which guys on that list provide nothing, and which guys at least competently fill a rotation slot for most of the season or even excel, will go a long way to determining what happens in the division this year. But as Sportsguy points out, there are also a lot of young unproven guys with some potential that will be in ALE rotations.    It's amazing how few guys there are in the entire division that you can just pretty much say barring an injury they will give you an established, expected level of performance -- Glasnow, Cole, Ryu, maybe Martin Perez.   Is that it?
  • Popular Contributors