Jump to content
weams

MLB Pipeline: Austin Martin

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What I find interesting is the deadline isn't until Aug first.  So negotiations couldn't have been that difficult given Boras' penchant for waiting to sign.

I wonder if he’s in the running for a roster spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he signed for over 700K less than the Orioles' slot allotment for the number two pick.

So they couldn't have gotten Blitsko or both of the two HS'ers then right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

So they couldn't have gotten Blitsko or both of the two HS'ers then right?

They didn't get Bitsko anyway. 

If they had convinced him to sign for the 700K saving and went over the allotment they might have snagged one of them.

It certainly doesn't look like he would have refused to sign for slot.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, for the umteenth time, either Elias isn't so smart or maybe the Orioles actually like Kjerstad as much or more.  If Martin was higher on their board than Kjerstad and they clearly felt he was the better prospect then I disagree with what they did which leads me to the belief that the Orioles simply didn't evaluate Martin as highly as others have.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 of 29 first round picks have now been signed. Garrett Mitchell (20th overall to the Brewers) is the lone unsigned first-rounder. Of the 28 signed first-rounders, the largest underslot in terms of dollar amount are:

2. Heston Kjerstad: $2.59 million

23. Carson Tucker: $930,000

17. Nick Yorke: $910,000

8. Robert Hassell: $880,000

18. Bryce Jarvis: $830,000

25. Jared Shuster: $540,000

3. Max Meyer: $520,000

The largest underslot by percentage:

2. Heston Kjerstad: 33.25%

23. Carson Tucker: 31.74%

17. Nick Yorke: 25.20%

18. Bryce Jarvis: 23.85%

25. Jared Shuster: 19.71%

14. Justin Foscue: 19.55%

8. Robert Hassell: 16.99%

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he signed for over 700K less than the Orioles' slot allotment for the number two pick.

 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't get Bitsko anyway. 

If they had convinced him to sign for the 700K saving and went over the allotment they might have snagged one of them.

It certainly doesn't look like he would have refused to sign for slot.

It's also possible he lost some leverage on his demands when teams let him go to number 5. Still got the 2nd highest SB of the draft. I don't know if it's logical to suggest he would have settled at the same place for the Orioles. And how do you arrive at the bolded when he just signed for well above the slot at which he was selected?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

 

It's also possible he lost some leverage on his demands when teams let him go to number 5. Still got the 2nd highest SB of the draft. I don't know if it's logical to suggest he would have settled at the same place for the Orioles. And how do you arrive at the bolded when he just signed for well above the slot at which he was selected?

He signed quickly (for a Boras client)and less than what the Jays could have paid.  You think it is reasonable to think he would have sat out with 700K more on the table?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He signed quickly (for a Boras client)and less than what the Jays could have paid.  You think it is reasonable to think he would have sat out with 700K more on the table?

How much more could the Jays have paid without incurring burdensome penalties?

Their bonus total is $10.2M and their allotment is/was $9.7M

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/2020/toronto-blue-jays/

I just don't see how you're using him signing over the slot at which he was selected, taking the team to it's 105% number in the process, as evidence that he would have signed for slot in Baltimore. If anything it rules out that he would have been an underslot candidate and/or is inconclusive evidence.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

How much more could the Jays have paid without incurring burdensome penalties?

Their bonus total is $10.2M and their allotment is/was $9.7M

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/2020/toronto-blue-jays/

I just don't see how you're using him signing over the slot at which he was selected, taking the team to it's 105% number in the process, as evidence that he would have signed for slot in Baltimore. If anything it rules out that he would have been an underslot candidate and/or is inconclusive evidence.

Because he agreed to a lesser amount of money instead of going back to school.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he signed for over 700K less than the Orioles' slot allotment for the number two pick.

After he fell to the fifth pick and had to wait weeks. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, RZNJ said:

So, for the umteenth time, either Elias isn't so smart or maybe the Orioles actually like Kjerstad as much or more.  If Martin was higher on their board than Kjerstad and they clearly felt he was the better prospect then I disagree with what they did which leads me to the belief that the Orioles simply didn't evaluate Martin as highly as others have.

Isn't there a third possibility?

Maybe they felt Martin was a little better than Kjerstad but that bei g able to get the overslot guys they got in the 4th and 5th more than compensated for that difference.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Isn't there a third possibility?

Maybe they felt Martin was a little better than Kjerstad but that bei g able to get the overslot guys they got in the 4th and 5th more than compensated for that difference.

This is the most likely thing.    Though it’s also possible Elias thought there would be a good overslot candidate available at 30, and it didn’t play out that way.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • o   You better take a diamond ring ...... you better pawn it, babe.   o
    • The write up makes me think that he is not a starter that Hyde would want to rely on every 5th day.  Maybe more of a swingman.  So that makes it more likely the O's sign a Milone type to begin the season or maybe Milone himself if they can get him for a million for one year.
    • o   That's somewhat of a rare song in which Lennon and Harrison switched on and off for the lead and rhythm. Lennon essentially plays lead for the majority of the song, while Harrison strums the chords. Then for the lead guitar solo it's Harrison playing lead, while Lennon briefly strums the chords. Then at the end of the solo, Lennon goes back to (essentially) playing lead while Harrison strums the chords.   Somewhat similarly, in the song "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" it's Lennon playing the dominant portion of the guitar (strumming/picking extremely fast) while Harrison strums the chords ...... the difference being that unlike the case with "All My Loving", there is no guitar solo in "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You."   o
    • Brian Kenny on with Russo just now had the observation Cash let his starter go past 18 Batters Faced 5 of the first 6 games.   Obviously a 1-0 score and all the big relievers "rested" in an elimination game different circumstances last night. Mad Dog was ready for blood, but Kenny sort of headed him off at the pass surprising by giving his agreement the Snell pull was incorrect. Given the scuffles of the 4-week postseason, I'm not sure sticking with Anderson as the A reliever did him any favors.  His stat producing robot mode was clearly offline (today the inevitable reports acknowledging fatigue a factor).  Fairbanks or Castillo probably would have been better picks last night for in-inning fireman. Kenny in the spot also had the Mad Dog (pining for Snell to have the Smoltz experience) counter the Dodgers did October with a 2-man rotation, and bullpenning to take the WS clincher and survive two NLCS elimination games.  Obviously in the 162, Urias and May take their turns and do fine, but the October Corbin blueprint got drawn a bit more heavily this year. Snell is kind of an interesting gray area of is he a good enough starter to transcend the 18-batter leash as is correctly done with Cole, etc.  He has the Cy, but also like a 3.50-ish expected ERA across the couple of years including the Cy.   I think the Rays see him more JA Happ than Clayton Kershaw.
    • Really can't wait to see when some of the international guys are starting to make noise.  It's good that we've got a decently regarded system without much presence from international prospects but the system will have a real shot in the arm once a few of these guys start to produce.
    • He's really an unknown because of the bat improvements he showed early on the year are for real, he's a steal as a 3rd round pick.
    • Not sure why but I have a good feeling about him.  Maybe it's the plate discipline.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...