Jump to content
weams

MLB Pipeline: Austin Martin

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is the most likely thing.    Though it’s also possible Elias thought there would be a good overslot candidate available at 30, and it didn’t play out that way.    

Definitely possible. Not that you're saying this, but I doubt that was the only option and Elias was caught with his pants down. Considering how fast Mayo and Baumler reportedly agreed to terms (and the surprise on draft night that Baumler was signable), we have to think that the FO had discussions with those two in advance. Put another way, they were likely one of several potential scenarios that would play out with underslot savings at #2. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is the most likely thing.    Though it’s also possible Elias thought there would be a good overslot candidate available at 30, and it didn’t play out that way.    

Could very well be.  That's why when you take a chance like that - where you're certain to get a lot of screwwwtiny, you better have a good Plan B.  I think his plan was successful, but I'm just not wow'd by Martin.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Could very well be.  That's why when you take a chance like that - where you're certain to get a lot of screwwwtiny, you better have a good Plan B.  I think his plan was successful, but I'm just not wow'd by Martin.        

Seems like a good enough prospect for sure, but I think his at-some-point-consensus status as the number two guy in this draft is causing some heartburn for folks.

By many accounts, Tork is pick 2.5 in 2019, no? In hindsight, it seems like that makes this a better year to adopt the strategy Elias did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Seems like a good enough prospect for sure, but I think his at-some-point-consensus status as the number two guy in this draft is causing some heartburn for folks.

By many accounts, Tork is pick 2.5 in 2019, no? In hindsight, it seems like that makes this a better year to adopt the strategy Elias did.

The thing that concerns me about the pick is how much weight they seemingly gave to their projections based off of a limited 2020 data set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing that concerns me about the pick is how much weight they seemingly gave to their projections based off of a limited 2020 data set.

I understand that concern. IIRC, Kjerstad's best offensive output this season was against a less competitive team from a lower conference.

I would be much more concerned if they projected solely off of year old data. The players were not frozen in amber this Spring and projecting their futures should not be limited to 2019 scouting that is frozen in amber. Seems a lot of folks are stuck on the old projections that may no longer be accurate, causing worry about the "one that got away"  that may prove to be unwarranted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 145 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...