Jump to content
weams

MLB Pipeline: Austin Martin

Recommended Posts

On 5/21/2020 at 7:46 AM, wildcard said:

I agree that Martin probably is drafted in the top 4 because of his bat.   I just don't think the O's need a good hitting  2B more then they need a top of the rotation starter considering how hard it is to find quality starters  to pitch in Camden Yards.

If only that were the facts.  You're basically saying that you'd take Stephen Strasburg over Jonathan Schoop.  It's vastly more nuanced than that.  If you're going to assume that one of your choices is going to be an ace starter, you might as well assume that Martin is going to be Joe Morgan or Eddie Collins.

I'd take Eddie Collins over Jameson Taillon. Wouldn't you?!

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If only that were the facts.  You're basically saying that you'd take Stephen Strasburg over Jonathan Schoop.  It's vastly more nuanced than that.  If you're going to assume that one of your choices is going to be an ace starter, you might as well assume that Martin is going to be Joe Morgan or Eddie Collins.

I'd take Eddie Collins over Jameson Taillon. Wouldn't you?!

lol - same conversation I had with him reaching the same conclusion.  This poster has critically latched on to minor issues in the Martin writeups to have them define him in a negative way and then advocates beyond the best case in the Lacy write-ups.  Meanwhile, pretty much every or every draft expert I have seen has rated Martin higher.  You are wasting your time.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things. I don’t recall 100% now from where- I think it was a local radio interview- but Callis poured some cold water on the whole Correa $ underslot  comparison. He basically said many teams had him at the top and his agent really screwed up.  

I really hope we take Martin. Callis thinks he is a .300, 20 HR type. We know he can get on base. Try him in CF and then move him to 2nd base if that doesn’t work out. You are a perennial All Star at those spots if you put up those kind of numbers. I can’t stand the guy but Pedroia was a big part of some good Red Sox teams. Martin’s bat has some comparisons. 

The Brewers have been able to mix and match their way to some success but in general you better build your position player core from within. We see how much players age now so quickly. 

Most contending teams in recent years have a strong position player  core from within. Look at Cubs- Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Rizzo. I know Rizzo was a trade and the White Sox traded for Moncada and Jimenez but we really don’t have assets to deal right now to get back top prospects. We need to hit on these picks and hopefully hit on some International players. I have some faith that are new staff can get more out of the pitching we have than previous regimes. I would not be angry about Lacy but I would take my chances on some arms at picks 30 and/or 39.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Couple of things. I don’t recall 100% now from where- I think it was a local radio interview- but Callis poured some cold water on the whole Correa $ underslot  comparison. He basically said many teams had him at the top and his agent really screwed up.  

I really hope we take Martin. Callis thinks he is a .300, 20 HR type. We know he can get on base. Try him in CF and then move him to 2nd base if that doesn’t work out. You are a perennial All Star at those spots if you put up those kind of numbers. I can’t stand the guy but Pedroia was a big part of some good Red Sox teams. Martin’s bat has some comparisons. 

The Brewers have been able to mix and match their way to some success but in general you better build your position player core from within. We see how much players age now so quickly. 

Most contending teams in recent years have a strong position player  core from within. Look at Cubs- Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Rizzo. I know Rizzo was a trade and the White Sox traded for Moncada and Jimenez but we really don’t have assets to deal right now to get back top prospects. We need to hit on these picks and hopefully hit on some International players. I have some faith that are new staff can get more out of the pitching we have than previous regimes. I would not be angry about Lacy but I would take my chances on some arms at picks 30 and/or 39.

Good comparison to Pedroia.  Good runner but not a burner.  Some power but not a lot.   .299 hitter with a .365 OBP.   Scored a lot of runs and some years could drive  a bunch.   ROY, MVP,  4 time AS, 4 time GG.   If Martin could do that it would be quite a career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm good with picking Martin.

This thread is hilarious.  

From what Weams posted in another thread. They are predicting Martin to drop to the 3rd pick and we get Lacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

From what Weams posted in another thread. They are predicting Martin to drop to the 3rd pick and we get Lacy.

Well, we'll see.  All that seems certain is that Tork is #1...and even then, in some cases he doesn't seem to be a lock to be #1 in a way that Strasburg/Harper/Mize was.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, we'll see.  All that seems certain is that Tork is #1...and even then, in some cases he doesn't seem to be a lock to be #1 in a way that Strasburg/Harper/Mize was.  

 

your right, nothing is set in stone, until the commish steps up and announces the name.

Is MLB like the NFL and the number 1 draft team, come to agreement with the draftee before they announce their name?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

your right, nothing is set in stone, until the commish steps up and announces the name.

Is MLB like the NFL and the number 1 draft team, come to agreement with the draftee before they announce their name?

 

I think that happened a few years ago, I can't remember who it was.

It seems that Martin is ranked as the best overall hitter in the draft, maybe that's more appealing to the Tigers than having a masher like Tork.  

Either way, I like where we're at, we've got a chance to pick someone that can help the franchise in a big way.  Per the information that's been bandied about on here in regards to selecting an arm with the #2 and the chances... I'm not totally sold on Lacy/Hancock but if Elias wants to go with one of them, well...I trust him.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think that happened a few years ago, I can't remember who it was.

It seems that Martin is ranked as the best overall hitter in the draft, maybe that's more appealing to the Tigers than having a masher like Tork.  

Either way, I like where we're at, we've got a chance to pick someone that can help the franchise in a big way.  Per the information that's been bandied about on here in regards to selecting an arm with the #2 and the chances... I'm not totally sold on Lacy/Hancock but if Elias wants to go with one of them, well...I trust him.

 

 

We thought Bundy and Guzman was the real deal, too.

Then the real busts like Hobgoom.

Manny was a great pick.

no such thing as a sure thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

We thought Bundy and Guzman was the real deal, too.

Then the real busts like Hobgoom.

Manny was a great pick.

no such thing as a sure thing

Well where I disagree with @wildcardand what he seems to not want to understand...is that Lacy/Hancock aren't out of the Strasburg/Verlander mold.  There's not a Strasburg/Verlander in this draft.  If you had a sliding scale, it appears that Lacy/Hancock are closer to Matusz/Gausman territory.  Great pitchers with lot of upside but I don't think anyone here would be excited for Matusz part 2.  Some here like Gausman, I never saw him as anything great.

I'd prefer to take the consensus pick for the best bat in the draft (Martin) or the biggest power bat (Tork) if he fell to us rather than taking a shot on a pitcher that's not at a Verlander level if I'm picking #2 this year.  And then going with arms at 30 and 39.

Austin Martin and Rutschman in our system, you really gotta like that.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well where I disagree with @wildcardand what he seems to not want to understand...is that Lacy/Hancock aren't out of the Strasburg/Verlander mold.  There's not a Strasburg/Verlander in this draft.  If you had a sliding scale, it appears that Lacy/Hancock are closer to Matusz/Gausman territory.  Great pitchers with lot of upside but I don't think anyone here would be excited for Matusz part 2.  Some here like Gausman, I never saw him as anything great.

I'd prefer to take the consensus pick for the best bat in the draft (Martin) or the biggest power bat (Tork) if he fell to us rather than taking a shot on a pitcher that's not at a Verlander level if I'm picking #2 this year.  And then going with arms at 30 and 39.

Austin Martin and Rutschman in our system, you really gotta like that.  

You and I are in agreement.

Not every 1-2-3 in the MLB draft has the same skillset.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...