Jump to content
wildcard

Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball in 2020?

Recommended Posts

Just listened to Buster Olney frame the issue between the players and the owners.

Boras and Tony Clark want prorated pay for the players.   Owners say no fans in the stands means a 50-50 split of revenue is needed.  They are digging in  on their positions which threatens the 2020 season.   Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball this season?

https://1057thefan.radio.com/blogs/inside-access-with-jason-la-canfora-ken-weinman/espn-buster-olney-mlb-owners-vs-players-2020

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I side with the owners so far in this particular situation.  Unless something changes,  if there is no baseball,  I'll lay the blame largely at the players/union feet.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I think I side with the owners so far in this particular situation.  Unless something changes,  if there is no baseball,  I'll lay the blame largely at the players/union feet.

The owners have been losing money, while the players are still collecting their pay checks, as they have no investment in the franchise.

That doesnt mean the owners get off scott free, as they are a greedy lot, too.

But, in this case, I have zero sympathies for the players.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it's human nature, but there's an awful lot of assigning of blame to a specific person or group for very large, societal, country-wide, or even worldwide events and trends.  It's a little silly to take a huge, global event with thousands of interlocking pieces and effects and assign hypothetical blame for a baseball season that hasn't been canceled yet to a very specific group like the players.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Perhaps it's human nature, but there's an awful lot of assigning of blame to a specific person or group for very large, societal, country-wide, or even worldwide events and trends.  It's a little silly to take a huge, global event with thousands of interlocking pieces and effects and assign hypothetical blame for a baseball season that hasn't been canceled yet to a very specific group like the players.

The topic is if there is not MLB baseball this year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The topic is if there is not MLB baseball this year.

Yes, that's standard for interactions today.  Who's head can we place on a pike if all of these hypotheticals fall into place?  Don't want to be last in line for recriminations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's a blame game.  You might have commentary from both sides that rub fans the wrong way, but ultimately I think they, both MLB and the players, have to be cautious; and if that leads to no season this year as a result of being overcautious or simply paralyzed to act that's the way the cookie crumbles, imo.

I would hope in the future if something similar occurs that this experience would lead to ideas that would lead to some kind of product on the field, but who knows.  This is uncharted water.  I think the best we can hope for this year is some kind of exhibition season.  But even then, I'm hesitant to place "blame" if it doesn't happen.

And---------  I don't think we should be looking at the NFL as any kind of indication of what happens with MLB.  The NFL can say all day long up until when the games are scheduled to start that the season is on and then suddenly shut it down if things happen; and who knows how much or how little would have to change for that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, that's standard for interactions today.  Who's head can we place on a pike if all of these hypotheticals fall into place?  Don't want to be last in line for recriminations.

Agreed.  What the hell good is an internet if you can't use it to blame somebody with?  Tragic waste of technology if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I don't think it's a blame game.  You might have commentary from both sides that rub fans the wrong way, but ultimately I think they, both MLB and the players, have to be cautious; and if that leads to no season this year as a result of being overcautious or simply paralyzed to act that's the way the cookie crumbles, imo.

I would hope in the future if something similar occurs that this experience would lead to ideas that would lead to some kind of product on the field, but who knows.  This is uncharted water.  I think the best we can hope for this year is some kind of exhibition season.  But even then, I'm hesitant to place "blame" if it doesn't happen.

And---------  I don't think we should be looking at the NFL as any kind of indication of what happens with MLB.  The NFL can say all day long up until when the games are scheduled to start that the season is on and then suddenly shut it down if things happen; and who knows how much or how little would have to change for that to happen.

Sounds like you are thinking that the virus is the reason for no baseball.   Olney is saying that it may not be the virus but money that causes the season not to be played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Agreed.  What the hell good is an internet if you can't use it to blame somebody with?  Tragic waste of technology if you ask me.

Half of everything the internet:

"See that guy over there?  He's an idiot, and you're all morons because you love him.  Why am I the only one who sees the truth?!?!?!?"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like you are thinking that the virus is the reason for no baseball.   Olney is saying that it may not be the virus but money that causes the season not to be played.

If not for the virus we wouldn't be having this discussion, but instead one about why Stevie Wilkerson is still on the team this far into the season.  Olney needs clicks for revenues, but it couldn't be more clear that the virus is the root cause for all of this.  The money is just a detail to be worked out because of the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Perhaps it's human nature, but there's an awful lot of assigning of blame to a specific person or group for very large, societal, country-wide, or even worldwide events and trends.  It's a little silly to take a huge, global event with thousands of interlocking pieces and effects and assign hypothetical blame for a baseball season that hasn't been canceled yet to a very specific group like the players.

So you're agreeing its the players' fault?  😁😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If not for the virus we wouldn't be having this discussion, but instead one about why Stevie Wilkerson is still on the team this far into the season.  Olney needs clicks for revenues, but it couldn't be more clear that the virus is the root cause for all of this.  The money is just a detail to be worked out because of the virus.

That is not what I think Olney is pointing out.   Sure the virus has caused a delay in the season and restrictions on how they will play in July and after, if they play.   But what Olney is pointing out is that the two sides are far apart on the money issue of how the players are paid for the season.   And that may cause the season not be played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 140 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • 20/20 hindsight.  Which is kind of a cynical way to look at the draft through a retroactive crystal ball. The Tigers didn't have the greatest scouts ever, or a bunch of wizards, telling them to pick Justin Verlander #2 in 2004.  They just had the #2 pick and most of the league would have taken him.  Just like in 2006 when the Rockies took Great Reynolds #2, they weren't idiots, he was going to go in the top few picks in any case, but he just didn't work out. Bowden is going back in time and telling us which lottery numbers were worth it based on which got picked out of the ping pong ball machine.
    • I like Tork too, but what you have outlined are Mark Trumbo's 162 game avg.  And people were upset at his 3yr-37.5 mil contract.  So, if that is the player I am getting with defensive limitations, hard pass.
    • What if EVERY year the MLB holds a pre-season draft, just like Fantasy Baseball?  The players can renegotiate a new contract each year based on their most recent experience, and it evens the playing field for all teams.   The players (many of them anyway) clearly don't care about the fans, so let's show them we only care about the uniform.  
    • The comp is more to do with them having similar stances, slightly pull heavy swings, and profile than production. I googled Mookie Betts as a prospect and his scouting grades: Hit: 65 | Power: 45 | Run: 60 | Arm: 45 | Field: 55 https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-leads-bostons-updated-top-20-list/c-85946126 Here is Martin's scouting grades from the same place: HIT: 65 POWER: 50 RUN: 55 ARM: 50 FIELD: 55 https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/austin-martin-668885 Pretty similar profiles. Of course 95% of players with those scouting grades don't produce like Mookie Betts will.
    • #50THANNIVERSARY On this day in 1970, the Orioles defeated the Indians 5-4.  Dick Hall was credited with the win for his 1/3 of an inning of work in relief of Jim Palmer: Hall got Ray Fosse to pop out to second to end the 7th inning.  The Birds scored three runs in the bottom of the 7th which led to Hall's victory. Palmer hit his first homerun of the season leading off the third inning.  Don Buford went 1 for 3 with 2 RBI as well. For the record, Pete Richert recorded the save for the Orioles. BOX SCORE
    • Just to clarify, he’s talking specifically about pitchers that have justified being picked.
    • No, but the salary cap makes things very wonky in the NBA and NHL. While the NFLs system really screws over the players. The only way I see the MLBPA giving into a salary cap is if they cut the years of control right in half.  Which would basically change strategy away from developing home grown talent. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...