Jump to content
wildcard

Who is to blame if there is not MLB baseball in 2020?

Recommended Posts

When the ship is sinking is too late to ask who  missed the iceberg. 

It’s June. I was telling my wife, “today is the first really hot day.” And as I said that I thought that the only thing that compensates for the intense heat of North Texas is baseball.

I don’t think we’re going to see baseball again and it makes me so sad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philip said:

When the ship is sinking is too late to ask who  missed the iceberg. 

It’s June. I was telling my wife, “today is the first really hot day.” And as I said that I thought that the only thing that compensates for the intense heat of North Texas is baseball.

I don’t think we’re going to see baseball again and it makes me so sad.

The past few days the amount I miss baseball, and in especially miss watching the Orioles, took a big leap. I'm not sure why -- the decreasing likelihood we're going to see much if any baseball in 2020, the weather heating up, lawns and trees and other green stuff looking like summer, the start of strawberry season (which to me is a sign that the Fourth of July isn't too far away), other sports formulating the details of their plans to resume play, the reduction in entertainment alternatives, other factors I can't identify. But I really wanted to put a game on, log into Game threads, and start listening to Palmer, reading posts and expressing my own views about whether this team is making any progress toward being competitive.  

On top of that, the tenor of the recent discussions -- or exchange of stupid letters that lecture the other side about how bad it is but don't accomplish anything (nastygrams, we used to call them when I was a lawyer), or whatever the two sides are doing, I hesitate to call it "negotiating" -- don't fill me with confidence about getting a new collective bargaining agreement done for 2022. The main source of  frustration about being an Orioles fan should be how bad the team is. But that's become a secondary problem. Draft Day should be fun, but it shouldn't be the highlight of the season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

The past few days the amount I miss baseball, and in especially miss watching the Orioles, took a big leap. I'm not sure why -- the decreasing likelihood we're going to see much if any baseball in 2020, the weather heating up, lawns and trees and other green stuff looking like summer, the start of strawberry season (which to me is a sign that the Fourth of July isn't too far away), other sports formulating the details of their plans to resume play, the reduction in entertainment alternatives, other factors I can't identify. But I really wanted to put a game on, log into Game threads, and start listening to Palmer, reading posts and expressing my own views about whether this team is making any progress toward being competitive.  

On top of that, the tenor of the recent discussions -- or exchange of stupid letters that lecture the other side about how bad it is but don't accomplish anything (nastygrams, we used to call them when I was a lawyer), or whatever the two sides are doing, I hesitate to call it "negotiating" -- don't fill me with confidence about getting a new collective bargaining agreement done for 2022. The main source of  frustration about being an Orioles fan should be how bad the team is. But that's become a secondary problem. Draft Day should be fun, but it shouldn't be the highlight of the season.

Yes exactly.

My brother is a lawyer, and he reminded me of an old anecdote:

“When the law is on your side, argue the law. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. And when neither is on your side, yell and shake your fist a lot.”

And we are getting a lot of yelling and fist shaking.

Meanwhile, the old guys are ruining their final season, and the young guys are ruining their first season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

Yes exactly.

My brother is a lawyer, and he reminded me of an old anecdote:

“When the law is on your side, argue the law. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. And when neither is on your side, yell and shake your fist a lot.”

And we are getting a lot of yelling and fist shaking.

Meanwhile, the old guys are ruining their final season, and the young guys are ruining their first season.

Who's higher on the totem pole:  Lawyers or used car dealers?

"Buy Here, Pay Here.  But if you ain't got the money, don't bother coming in."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Who's higher on the totem pole:  Lawyers or used car dealers?

"Buy Here, Pay Here.  But if you ain't got the money, don't bother coming in."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

This is now in my mind a strike by the players. 

Yes I think you’re correct. 

The solidarity, the opportunity, the motive, a clear enemy and a clear message.

The message is that the players don’t care about anything except making sure they get their money, and minor leaguers, fans, and the game be damned, and the owners don’t care about anything except keeping their money, and minor leaguers, fans, and the game be damned.

oh what fun...

In other words, things that really need to be dealt with won’t be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They owners are putting out plans. One can argue if it’s good plans but the players are rejecting them so it’s on the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players are killing this, as much as I don't like the owners.  An incredible level of tone deaf from the Union.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I blame the players.

Historically speaking, I think the players were absolutely correct and right to unionize, to get free agency, etc.  I think the owner's collusion of the mid 80s is a worse blight on MLB than the Black Sox scandal and the worst thing in MLB history outside of keeping African-American's out of the game.

But when it comes to other labor disputes, when it comes to strikes...the players are wrong.  Every single time.  Especially in a time right now where every day people are losing their jobs and there's civil unrest.  I'm not blaming them for the interest of getting more money...I think everyone should want more money.  But the way they go about it, how it looks...I hate to use the term "optics" because it's so cliche and overused today, people think it makes them sound smarter when they say it...but the optics of how they appear...it's just never good.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

They owners are putting out plans. One can argue if it’s good plans but the players are rejecting them so it’s on the players. 

The owners are trying to have talks, it seems.  The players did make a counter but I don't think it was sincere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Initial post updated with additions to 60 man roster and info from intrasquad game.
    • Pirate reliever Hector Noesi (Initial post in this thread updated with all the guys who have opted out so far)
    • He signed quickly (for a Boras client)and less than what the Jays could have paid.  You think it is reasonable to think he would have sat out with 700K more on the table?
    • Update: the fourth and final season is brilliant. It takes place in 2030 and is really funny speculative fiction that focuses on how dysfunctional and potentially doomed the MLB is. It’s a must watch. 
    • It's also possible he lost some leverage on his demands when teams let him go to number 5. Still got the 2nd highest SB of the draft. I don't know if it's logical to suggest he would have settled at the same place for the Orioles. And how do you arrive at the bolded when he just signed for well above the slot at which he was selected?
    • I've heard the number for a full year is seven, whether it's games or days I do not know. That is likely a distinction without a difference as far as the Orioles are concerned, as they open with 13 straight days of games.
    • Unfortunately 2023 is the first year Mahomes gets a little more expensive ($42.5M). Hopefully it takes a year or two for Dak/Watson extensions (usually year 1 and/or 2 have a lower cap number).   But  I’d guess Lamar would cost about $35-$38M if he were to be franchised in 2023. That would lead to $42-$45M in 2024. (And $60-65M in 2025).    I don’t think they should (or will) go this route, but they could keep him for the following (cap numbers): 2020 - $2.5M 2021 - $3M 2022 - $20M* 2023 - $36M* 2024 - $43M* 2025 - $62M* *very rough estimates (And could change with big QB contracts) It would essentially be his rookie deal plus a year by year total of 1/36, 2/79, or 3/141. Not the worst thing IF you think he could run out of steam at some point and you think he’s somewhat close to Mahomes value. Again, they won’t do this, but this is what it would look like.  (Note: 2025 would be Lamar’s age 28 season)
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...