Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Eric-OH

Adversity Strikes; A Thank You To Those Cut By O’s

Recommended Posts

Spend some time in or around minor league baseball and you’ll get the sense that adversity is always right around the corner. It is.

 In a strange culture, you will have to befriend your direct competition and work as hard to eliminate them as you do to support them and hope that they are not the player that will end your career and take away an exceptional opportunity.  

In some cases this guy could be your roommate or throwing partner.  In no way a regular work environment.  Bus trips make guys closer but years of batting cage sessions, drills, rain delays and especially comebacks make players form a unique bond that lasts years.  This is not an office or sales center.  Support a minor league team or city and you’ll actually get to have some of that family feel extended to you as a fan….it’s one of the best things about baseball. 

The Orioles made an impossibly difficult call and 37 players at once faced the hard truth of their opportunity being interrupted or even worse, over.  It’s a lengthy list and every name has a different background and level of experience.  There’s no value in making a sweeping generalization so here is an opportunity to say that watching you guys play and improve the organization is a privilege from my seat.  I adjusted my life to observing you and telling fans what I see.  One of the reasons I do it is for the chance to do more, the grind is the grind.  That’s the way I respect your contribution, by letting fans know about it from a close perspective.  Still, I feel like I should say thanks.

 The decision makers are decent people and are faced now with a different and harsh pressure. That’s unfortunately what the combination of pandemic and lack of success brings about.  This is by no means an enjoyable process for anyone involved.  It is harsh.  If you support the team you have to hold strong to the thinking that success is coming soon and prudent, gut-wrenching calls must be made.  Strangely, this process and undertaking will make departments better as they learn from the effects of their cuts just like they would following promotions or trades.  

Baseball has some shreds of bad in it to make the good seem great and for these players, they’re dealing with the absolute worst right now.  There is simply no way to not sympathize with them.  Improving the system from the bottom up is a monumental task.  Still, lots of humans are involved and now is a time where everyone is understandably sensitive.  

To the players on that list, I wish you lots of baseball even though it’s not going to be in orange and black.  Your competition and contribution will make success happen. Real fans realize that.  I hope you land on your cleats and never ever get a real job.  Good luck.  

846B4C87-FD33-461A-A553-1F57A1DDF937.png

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

Well said @Eric-OH

Thanks @cboemmeljr.  Not the best feeling today.  Nobody likes people getting fired, released etc.  Your support is as beneficial to these guys and this culture as anyone.  Hope you’re not feeling too bad swallowing this gulp of reality.  👊🏻

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

Thanks @cboemmeljr.  Not the best feeling today.  Nobody likes people getting fired, released etc.  Your support is as beneficial to these guys and this culture as anyone.  Hope you’re not feeling too bad swallowing this gulp of reality.  👊🏻

It's not a good feeling.  As you know, doing what we do we befriend some of these guys and can relate to their struggle and grind.  I just found out the the player who reached out to me has had to hire an immigration attorney and has a hearing set for June 4th.  From thinking he might get traded during ST to the pandemic to release and now possibly having to go back to Venezuela....tough situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cboemmeljr said:

It's not a good feeling.  As you know, doing what we do we befriend some of these guys and can relate to their struggle and grind.  I just found out the the player who reached out to me has had to hire an immigration attorney and has a hearing set for June 4th.  From thinking he might get traded during ST to the pandemic to release and now possibly having to go back to Venezuela....tough situation.

Awful to have to face that now.  I feel for you like these guys, it’s an extended family.    Not at all comfortable.  

 Similar to @Tony-OH point from a previous post, hopefully the lessons from being in a challenging profession like this will be there for him.  Your support probably means a great deal too.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw City Slickers on cable for the first time in many years.  It used to be a favorite that I owned.

Hopefully, the release date is both the best and worst day for the these players.  The worst as the day brings an emphatic end to their major league dreams (at least for most of them), but perhaps the best because the players accept the reality and move on to the best parts of their lives ahead of them.

I remember only seeing Jomar Reyes and BenB in recent years watching the three to six games I saw a year between Aberdeen and DelMarva.  I know Tony has been down on Reyes for a while.   Jomar was a big, younger prospect who looked the part in the batter's box.  I mostly remember these guys for how nice they were to my kids seeking their autographs and Jomar was as pleasant as anyone - especially when I told my kids he was highly rated and they bugged him for four autos between them.  

Ben Breazeale started his professional career out-hitting his seventh round draft position in 2017 by putting up .895 OPS at Aberdeen.  He came crashing down to earth the next year at DelMarva with a .675 OPS and was worse last year repeating DelMarva with a .586 OPS.  Last year he did get to 12 games at Frederick though with the worse OPS of his career.

I likely saw the other guys, but don't really remember them. 

They all put on the orange and black and gave it their best shot.  

Every best wish for these guys in their future endeavors.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

I just saw City Slickers on cable for the first time in many years.  It used to be a favorite that I owned.

Hopefully, the release date is both the best and worst day for the these players.  The worst as the day brings an emphatic end to their major league dreams (at least for most of them), but perhaps the best because the players accept the reality and move on to the best parts of their lives ahead of them.

I remember only seeing Jomar Reyes and BenB in recent years watching the three to six games I saw a year between Aberdeen and DelMarva.  I know Tony has been down on Reyes for a while.   Jomar was a big, younger prospect who looked the part in the batter's box.  I mostly remember these guys for how nice they were to my kids seeking their autographs and Jomar was as pleasant as anyone - especially when I told my kids he was highly rated and they bugged him for four autos between them.  

Ben Breazeale started his professional career out-hitting his seventh round draft position in 2017 by putting up .895 OPS at Aberdeen.  He came crashing down to earth the next year at DelMarva with a .675 OPS and was worse last year repeating DelMarva with a .586 OPS.  Last year he did get to 12 games at Frederick though with the worse OPS of his career.

I likely saw the other guys, but don't really remember them. 

They all put on the orange and black and gave it their best shot.  

Every best wish for these guys in their future endeavors.  

Hope you’re right.  The orange and black part is why we care and always will.  Not hard to think this could be painful and extremely beneficial for them as men.  

City Slickers puts it all in perspective!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...