wildcard

Dan Duquette talks about Yusniel Diaz

From Pressboxonline:

“I went down to the Dominican this winter. I was staying at a hotel as the same winter league team that Diaz was staying at. I saw Diaz, I talked to him. He had his father there from Cuba, and we had breakfast together. I followed him. He’s got really good ability. He’s got power to all fields. He can run, he can throw. He’s a five-tool player. I think it’s just a question of getting him interested. It looks like he gets disinterested if he’s not challenged. That will resolve itself as he moves up.”

Interesting interview with Dan.   Scroll to the bottom to listen.

https://pressboxonline.com/2020/05/22/former-orioles-evp-dan-duquette-on-trey-mancini-chris-davis-and-more/

• Upvote 2

Sounds like the type of guy you don't want to slow roll through the farm system.

Which makes me wonder why they have been slow rolling him.

• Upvote 1

I was and still am a fan of the return DD got for Machado.  Had to deal him obviously, and got the best return he could.  I still think Diaz could be a solid corner outfielder with an OPS in the .775-.85- region and Kremer a solid number three starter.  If Pop and Bannon turn into anything, then it's a real win.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sounds like the type of guy you don't want to slow roll through the farm system.

Which makes me wonder why they have been slow rolling him.

It was a very peculiar decision not to start Diaz at AAA last year. He already had played 128 games in AA and was coming off a season with a very good line of .285/.392/.449 at AA. He did struggle after he was traded to the Orioles but not so much so that it warranted him repeating the level.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

It was a very peculiar decision not to start Diaz at AAA last year. He already had played 128 games in AA and was coming off a season with a very good line of .285/.392/.449 at AA. He did struggle after he was traded to the Orioles but not so much so that it warranted him repeating the level.

Agreed.  If there's a season, hopefully he can get regular at bats with the team.  I am excited to see how Diaz, Stewart, and obviously Hays, fare in a whole ("whole") season facing MLB pitching.

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I can't shake the feeling that Elias wants the minor league teams to have good records. 

• Thanks 1

That was enjoyable to read.  Thanks for posting.

Re-signing Chris Davis was an ownership decision.  Just awful.

5 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

That was enjoyable to read.  Thanks for posting.

Re-signing Chris Davis was an ownership decision.  Just awful.

Has anyone doubted that for even a second?  Dan traded for Trumbo to replace Davis.  It was clear where Dan stood on the issue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has anyone doubted that for even a second?  Dan traded for Trumbo to replace Davis.  It was clear where Dan stood on the issue.

When Dan picked up Trumbo I was sure it was the death knell of CD's tenure here.

6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

When Dan picked up Trumbo I was sure it was the death knell of CD's tenure here.

My avatar says hello!  😉

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Dan also alluded to other options he would have chosen to pursue on the free agent market if Angelos had not insisted on Davis...would be interesting to know more...

32 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Dan also alluded to other options he would have chosen to pursue on the free agent market if Angelos had not insisted on Davis...would be interesting to know more...

That free agency class if full of regrettable signings. Greinke is the best of the bunch and the Diamondbacks even wanted to move his contract. The others:

David Price (7/$217)

Jason Heyward (8/$184)

Yoenis Cespedes (3/$75) - Played well, just always hurt

Johnny Cueto (6/$130)

Justin Upton (6/$132)

Jordan Zimmerman (5/$110)

Chris Davis (7/$161)

Jeff Samardzija (5/$90)

Wei-Yin Chen (5/$80)

Ian Kennedy (5/$70)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

That free agency class if full of regrettable signings. Greinke is the best of the bunch and the Diamondbacks even wanted to move his contract. The others:

David Price (7/$217)

Jason Heyward (8/$184)

Johnny Cueto (6/$130)

Justin Upton (6/$132)

Chris Davis (7/$161)

Jeff Samardzija (5/$90)

Wei-Yin Chen (5/$80)

Ian Kennedy (5/$70)

I thought the David Price contract was risky.

So far, 4 years and 10.5 WAR for the money is probably 50-50 on value. given his 2.6 and 4.2 WAR years and his off years, is still productive, just not 30 mill worth.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought the David Price contract was risky.

So far, 4 years and 10.5 WAR for the money is probably 50-50 on value. given his 2.6 and 4.2 WAR years and his off years, is still productive, just not 30 mill worth.

I agree, he was productive and he was pretty good for the Red Sox the year they won the World Series. Counting the money they included in the Dodgers trade, the Red Sox paid Price $185m for four seasons. You have to think they could have used that money much more effectively, especially when the luxury tax implications led to the Red Sox parting with Mookie Betts this offseason.

4 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

David Price (7/$217)

Jason Heyward (8/$184)

Johnny Cueto (6/$130)

Justin Upton (6/$132)

Chris Davis (7/$161)

Jeff Samardzija (5/$90)

Wei-Yin Chen (5/$80)

Ian Kennedy (5/$70)

SMH. There must have been something contagious going around.