Sign in to follow this  
weams

Press Box: David Sampson on Orioles Draft Advantage

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sisco and Stewart could have made the team out of ST.  Diaz.  To me the only reason not to give Mountcastle a September callup last year was to game his clock.

I really doubt a non-drafted college pitcher is going to stay away from the Orioles, who desperately need pitching, because they are so shellshocked DJ freaking Stewart didn't make the team out of Spring Training. 

I know it seems like a million years ago now, but DJ Stewart did make it to the O's last year and promptly tried to field a fly ball with his face.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I really doubt a non-drafted college pitcher is going to stay away from the Orioles, who desperately need pitching, because they are so shellshocked DJ freaking Stewart didn't make the team out of Spring Training. 

I know it seems like a million years ago now, but DJ Stewart did make it to the O's last year and promptly tried to field a fly ball with his face.

Are you paying attention?

I wasn't suggesting that players won't sign with the O's because of Stewart.  I'm saying that the expert was stating things that were completely at odds with how the farm was run last season.

I'm not criticizing Elias.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you paying attention?

I wasn't suggesting that players won't sign with the O's because of Stewart.  I'm saying that the expert was stating things that were completely at odds with how the farm was run last season.

I'm not criticizing Elias.

Ok guy.  I tried.  Base your opinion on one year (you just wrote last season) and two completely fringe roster types if you’d like.  
I’m allowed to agree anywhere and what I agreed with is that the O’s will be selling and have something to sell. Feel free to see it differently.  

Your posts are too critical and it seems you don’t always have room to understand people’s different views.  You’re the only one.  Not cool.  It’s a pattern where you try hard to make evidence to fortify your own takes.  No hard feelings but we also disagree on Hall, GRod and most certainly Grenier.  I like the differing opinions. I’m not going to insult your point of view.  Don’t make this stuff not fun for others.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

Ok guy.  I tried.  Base your opinion on one year (you just wrote last season) and two completely fringe roster types if you’d like.  
I’m allowed to agree anywhere and what I agreed with is that the O’s will be selling and have something to sell. Feel free to see it differently.  

Your posts are too critical and it seems you don’t always have room to understand people’s different views.  You’re the only one.  Not cool.  It’s a pattern where you try hard to make evidence to fortify your own takes.  No hard feelings but we also disagree on Hall, GRod and most certainly Grenier.  I like the differing opinions. I’m not going to insult your point of view.  Don’t make this stuff not fun for others.  

I mentioned Diaz and Mountcastle, both of which you agreed with me on, how is that basing my opinion on two completely fringe roster types?

Would you say that the O's were aggressive promoting anyone last year?   

Some experts thought that Hall's issues with command was exacerbated by his opposition being overwhelmed and refusing to swing.  Doesn't that sound like someone that could have benefited from a promotion late in the year?

I think Mr Sampson's take was worthy of criticism. 

I won't reciprocate in making a critique of your posting habits since that isn't fun for others.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mentioned Diaz and Mountcastle, both of which you agreed with me on, how is that basing my opinion on two completely fringe roster types?

Would you say that the O's were aggressive promoting anyone last year?   

Some experts thought that Hall's issues with command was exacerbated by his opposition being overwhelmed and refusing to swing.  Doesn't that sound like someone that could have benefited from a promotion late in the year?

I think Mr Sampson's take was worthy of criticism. 

I won't reciprocate in making a critique of your posting habits since that isn't fun for others.

No more answering your questions, your pattern of insulting whatever the answers are can stop here.
The two fringe roster types were not Diaz or Mountcastle.  I took time to clearly outline they’re part of the O’s future.  

Fringe roster guys=DJ Stewart/Sisco.

Whatever my habits are, I’m wide open as far as criticisms or suggestions or support.  I don’t have a need to disagree with those who see things differently.  You, at least in posts (the only way I know you)seem to do that.   We both care about the O’s succeeding, that’s what is important.

Interpreting David Sampson’s thoughts or my perspective on them has no value, not even to this thread.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

You’re basing that on one season of data.   We’ll see over the longer term.    But, I agree that I don’t see the logic of assuming the opposite of his short track record.   

Exactly

• Like 1

In the article mentioned, Sampson makes a good point about the Os being able to sell opportunity on our major league roster.  I know the scouts are all scouring the same video and data, but given the success last year in finding Toby Welk, one has to hope there are also one or two prospects that the Os approach with a $20k offer that are not on most other team's radar.

Further, Luke showed a strong ability to identify on video overlooked prospects to draft outside of round 10 last year.  I don't think it is unreasonable to hope he can find a couple himself.

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

In the article mentioned, Sampson makes a good point about the Os being able to sell opportunity on our major league roster.  I know the scouts are all scouring the same video and data, but given the success last year in finding Toby Welk, one has to hope there are also one or two prospects that the Os approach with a $20k offer that are not on most other team's radar.

Further, Luke showed a strong ability to identify on video overlooked prospects to draft outside of round 10 last year.  I don't think it is unreasonable to hope he can find a couple himself.

I’m sure he’s working on it.   It would be a real rush if the O’s signed someone he plucked out of nowhere.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

What a load of malarkey. If this were the case the Orioles would be signing the top international players and the Yankees and Dodgers would be bottom feeders,

Prospects are going to play for the teams with the best development programs and the best minor league facilities and the teams that pay the most to their own players. If you develop well you will play in the big leagues somewhere, 

• Upvote 1

I found a decent example of different angles to come at drafted players while looking at mymlbdraft.com.  This one with the same prospect.

They’ve got University of Miami pitcher Slade Cecconi mocked to the O’s in the initial competitive balance round at pick 30.  The O’s drafted him in 2018 in the 38th round.

Now he’d be hearing a totally different sales pitch as far as where the rebuild is from the very same people who tried to acquire his services a couple of drafts back.  As a job landscape, Sampson is saying that employment for someone like him is now more readily available to get and hold then it is with the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox, etc.  It’s true today, and when the major league contracts expire, maybe even more.  That’s not fast track or posturing, that’s available depth chart positions in high(er) places.  Sell the opportunity and hopefully more of the organizational depth becomes like Toby Welk and his draft class.  Targeted and maximized talent identification. 

Cecconi would be intriguing in that now, he probably couldn’t do better opportunity wise and he’d get paid so much more to do it.  I wonder if he’s good enough to be picked in that slot.

18 hours ago, atomic said:

What a load of malarkey. If this were the case the Orioles would be signing the top international players and the Yankees and Dodgers would be bottom feeders,

Prospects are going to play for the teams with the best development programs and the best minor league facilities and the teams that pay the most to their own players. If you develop well you will play in the big leagues somewhere, 

I think there is a difference between top international prospects and undrafted, four year college pitchers who are just looking for a shot somewhere.

I tend to pay attention (or, maybe I should say, remember) how only the top prospects and the almost-ready-for-prime-time players have   advanced through the minor leagues. Not especially fast.

But I don't think that will have much influence on an undrafted player deciding among teams that express an interest in him. I would think the deciding factor for most of these guys would be (a) money and (b) the ability of teams to convince them that they'll have a real opportunity to get to the majors (or to AAA or AA, where they'll be noticed  by other teams if they perform well). I guess the Orioles might have an advantage over some other teams in selling opportunity for advancement to infielders other than first basemen and to starting pitchers. (By "infielders," I mean guys who might actually play second, third or short effectively in the high minors or big leagues -- if there are any such players --  not the guys who played there in college but are future outfielders or first basemen.)

• Like 1