Greg Pappas

BA: Orioles 2020-21 International Signing Preview ($)

Don’t have a subscription, but here’s an interview the author, Ben Badler, gave to Steve Melewski.   https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/06/baseball-americas-ben-badler-on-os-international-effort-video.html

At the end of the video, Badler speculates that the next CBA will create an international draft.   He thinks the players will posture about and then “maybe they’ll trade it for a few extra inches of legroom on the bus.”    LOL!

• Upvote 1

The Frobster beat me to posting the Melewski interview by 13 minutes.  

The article mentions the Os in on quality international prospects that we knew about including Samuel Basallo and Maikol Hernandez and one that I am not sure I have seen mentioned with the Os here - Wilmer Feliciano who will get a signing bonus just under $500k and has big left-handed power.  A reminder that none of these guys are signed, just apparently committed or agreed to the Os until they are signed. It seems like a very strong group of elite prospects given how late our current FO was to the game of signing this upcoming J2 class.  

The payoff from these guys is likely years away, but I think there is a chance last year's class and this year's class should start impacting our top 30 prospects entering 2021.  How optimistic is it to think predict our next international signing to reach our top 10 would be by 2022?  

It's odd to get down-voted for sharing this thread regarding BA's International Review.  A mistake?  Maybe I'm missing something? I thought maybe because it was pay-walled, but I made sure to note that in the title and OP.  No big deal, certainly, but it has me curious. :)

Anyway, I'm wondering how these International prospects, in places such as Venesuela, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico have been impacted by the Coronavirus outbreak. Has training/games slowed to a crawl like in many other places? 

9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It's odd to get down-voted for sharing this thread regarding BA's International Review.  A mistake?  Maybe I'm missing something? I thought maybe because it was pay-walled, but I made sure to note that in the title and OP.  No big deal, certainly, but it has me curious. :)

Seems like a technical glitch.    When you click on it to see who downvoted it, it doesn’t tell you, but I don’t think you can downvote someone anonymously.    If the downvote is real, maybe it was directed at the paywall, not you personally.     

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems like a technical glitch.    When you click on it to see who downvoted it, it doesn’t tell you, but I don’t think you can downvote someone anonymously.    If the downvote is real, maybe it was directed at the paywall, not you personally.     

Someone did downvote it this morning, I was online when it happened.  No idea if it was intentional since it wasn't me that did it.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Anyway, I'm wondering how these International prospects, in places such as Venesuela, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico have been impacted by the Coronavirus outbreak. Has training/games slowed to a crawl like in many other places? 

Im being nitpicky but Puerto Ricans are subject to the Rule 4 draft. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Im being nitpicky but Puerto Ricans are subject to the Rule 4 draft. 

Ah yes, I wasn't thinking about that. Thanks for correcting. :)

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I saw who it was, but it's been removed. No worries. Thanks Frobby. :)

I am curious as to what Puerto Rico is like these days. I have a pal that flies his family down there on vacation frequently because it’s domestic and has nice beaches. I never even think about it as a tourist destination but I guess it is.

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I am curious as to what Puerto Rico is like these days. I have a pal that flies his family down there on vacation frequently because it’s domestic and has nice beaches. I never even think about it as a tourist destination but I guess it is.

Has a rain forest too.