Tony-OH

Your official 2008 top 30 Prospect list

I really do not know enough to get knowledgably through about the top 8 or so and even then the placement between those guys is sketchy for me. But I do see alot more guys that have a real chance in helping in the future than I am used to seeing in the O's farm system.

Edited by Flosman

I like Hoes, but as a matter of philosophy I'm not putting any 18-year old kid who has played only in the GCL in my top 10, unless he absolutely destroys the league. Put it this way - look at what Snyder and Rowell did at Bluefield, which is a higher league than the GCL, at the same age (in Rowell's case, he was actually a year younger).

There was a time when the OH top-10 list had several high school kids who had just been drafted in the top 10, because there just weren't many good prospects at the upper levels. That's no longer the case.

Here's my first list.

1) Weiters

2) Tillman

3) Arrieta

4) Matusz

5) Reimold

6) Erbe

7) Hernandez

8) Britton

9) Montanez

10)Snyder

11)Rowell

12)Spoone

13)Bergesen

14)Patton

15)Hoes

16)Bundy

17)Berken

18)Butler

19)Mickolio

20)Noel

21)Avery

22)Miclat

23)Adams

24)Henson

25)Zagone

26)Rosa

27)Davis

28)Angle

29)Hoey

30)Kolodny

I had Matusz 4th because he hasn't face professional hitters yet, so I gave the edge to Tillman and Arrieta. Spoone was down because to his injury(which looks like it's serious). Hoes could be higher, but I really like him and what he brings to the table.

Edited by slappy12
  • Upvote 1

Here's my first list.

1) Weiters

2) Tillman

3) Arrieta

4) Matusz

5) Reimold

6) Erbe

7) Hernandez

8) Britton

9) Montanez

10)Snyder

11)Rowell

12)Spoone

13)Bergesen

14)Patton

15)Hoes

16)Bundy

17)Berken

18)Butler

19)Mickolio

20)Noel

21)Avery

22)Miclat

23)Adams

24)Henson

25)Zagone

26)Rosa

27)Davis

28)Angle

29)Hoey

30)Kolodny

I had Matusz 4th because he hasn't face professional hitters yet, so I gave the edge to Tillman and Arrieta. Spoone was down because to his injury(which looks like it's serious). Hoes could be high but I really like him and what he brings to the table.

Welcome to the Hangout. That seems to be a pretty solid list. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

OK, OK, I know everybody is waiting for my "Top 30" list!!:D:rolleyes:;)

1) Weiters - No big surprise here

2) Tillman - Had a very good year in "AA" and only 20 year old

3) Arrieta - Dominated "Hi A" and would of been nice to see him in "AA"

4) Matusz - Again dominated college bats, now lets see want in can do in the AFL

5) Reimold - Had and outstanding year in Bowie, needs to be little more consistent, but put up very good numbers.

6) Erbe - Also needs to be more consistent, but has outstanding stuff.

7) Hernandez - Once again leads league in strikouts and 3rd in ERA, problem command and when he finds it - watch out!!

8) Rowell - This might be high for some, but there is some untapped potential thats still might come out.

9) Britton - I believe the best left handed SP in our system as of now.

10)Snyder - Showed his potential last half of season, still lacks power.

11)Bergesen - Came on like gangbuster!! Had a great season in Bowie, now the problem is that he doesn't miss bats & LH hitters.

12)Spoone - Injury slowed him big time, now it's recover time

13)Berken - Had a very good season at Bowie, injury and illness probably set him back from having a outstanding season

14)Patton - Injury slowed him this year, anxious to see what he can bring to the table

15)Hoes - Really love this guy, great eye at the plate, could be a keeper.

16)Miclat

17)Noel

18)Bundy

19)Avery

20)Adams

21)Mickolio

22)Butler

23)Henson

24)Davis

25)Zagone

26)Rosa

27)Hoey

28)Kolodny

29)Angle

30)Bascom

Edited by orioole28
  • Upvote 1

1. Wieters

2. Tillman

3. Matusz

4. Arrieta

5. Erbe

6. Hernandez

7. Reimold

8. Snyder

9. Britton

10. Spoone

11. Patton

12. Hoes

13. Bergesen

14. Rowell

15. Montanez

16. Adams

17. Zagone

18. Mickolio

19. Kalodney

20. Berken

21. Angle

22. Rosa

23. Bundy

24. Butler

25. Noel

26. Perez

27. Avery

28. Gleason

29. J. Moore

30. Beato

Next 10 (alphabetical order): Henson, Hoey, Hudson, McCrory, Miclat, Moore, Polanco, Thall, Tripp, Vinyard.

1. Wieters

2. Tillman

3. Matusz

4. Arrieta

5. Erbe

6. Hernandez

7. Reimold

8. Snyder

9. Britton

10. Spoone

11. Patton

12. Hoes13. Bergesen

14. Rowell

15. Montanez

16. Adams

17. Zagone

18. Mickolio

19. Kalodney

20. Berken

21. Angle

22. Rosa

23. Bundy

24. Butler

25. Noel

26. Perez

27. Avery

28. Gleason

29. J. Moore

30. Beato

Next 10 (alphabetical order): Henson, Hoey, Hudson, McCrory, Miclat, Moore, Polanco, Thall, Tripp, Vinyard.

Not to nitpick, because this is your list, but how do you have Rowell that low and behind Hoes. Rowell is 1 year older than Hoes and played 4 levels higher than him this season.

Again, it's your list, I'm just wondering what your reasoning behind that ranking is.

FYI, just because I waited so long to post my list doesn't mean I put a ton of research into it. There's still more intuition than cold hard facts in here, especially as you go further down the list, but I think this is where these guys fit for the most part. Ok here goes...

1. Matt Wieters

2. Brian Matusz - based on a higher upside than...

3. Chris Tillman

4. Nolan Reimold - his stock has only risen, has answered questions about health and strikeouts

5. Jake Arrieta

6. Brandon Erbe - more consistent than last year but still not enough. Still flashes dominance

7. Brandon Snyder - we may have seen the real Snyder in the second half and if he can make the switch to 3B, this ranking is realistic IMO

8. Lou Montanez - the guy can hit, and he's still young enough to have a career

9. Billy Rowell - he's young for his level, but he has to produce next year or he starts sliding down these lists fast.

10. David Hernandez - great year, but the "critics" who say reliever didn't get any quieter - main reason he's this low.

11. Zach Britton

12. Brad Bergesen

13. Chorye Spoone

14. Xavier Avery - based mostly on potential - may be a little high

15. Troy Patton - reports on comeback are good. I'm anxious to see what he can do.

16. L.J. Hoes - great start

17. Ryan Adams - if he played an average 2B, he'd be 5-10 spots higher

18. Tony Butler - I worry about his ability to stay on the mound, but I like his potential.

19. Matthew Angle

20. Tyler Kolodny - who doesn't like a gamer

21. Greg Miclat - I like his tools, but his shoulder's gotta let him stay at SS.

22. Jason Berken - typing this out, Berken may be someone I'd move up a little, but it's too late now... I'm not redoing this :D

23. Robert Bundy - all reports are that he's the real deal, but he's hardly played yet, so here he is.

24. Kam Mickolio - last year a dominant reliever like him would have been 10 spots higher

25. Tim Bascom - I'm a big fan and thought he would have been on Arrieta's heals coming into the season. Injuries thought otherwise.

26. Garabez Rosa

27. Pedro Beato - I'll give him one more shot... I say as I move him almost out of the top 30 :P

28. Jim Miller - does anyone else give him credit for a great year?

29. Bob McCrory - more potential than Miller, but not as likely to reach it.

30. Richard Zagone - a reliever in the bigs, but a great start in the NYPL.

31. Tyler Henson

32. Mike Costanzo - improved as the year went along, but wow he's not close to ready yet - still got good power

33. Luis Noel - good arm but needs doesn't K enough to get away with BBs and fly-ball tendencies

34. Elvin Polanco

35. Blake Davis

36. Scott Moore - big missed opportunity this year, 2009 could be last shot.

37. Kyle Hudson - has the tools to be another Angle, only faster, but he doesn't have the "instincts" yet.

38. Caleb Joseph - some potential, hopefully he puts on more muscle training this winter

39. Kraig Binick

40. Sean Gleason - under the radar and just kept winning.

41. Wilfredo Perez - doesn't look the part, but has been dominant the last 2 years.

42. Mick Mattaliano - Bradford version 2.0

43. Justin Moore - I've been watching him since the draft, nice power arm, we'll see how his secondary stuff progresses.

44. Oliver Drake - great find in the back of the draft

45. Cole McCurry - I don't really believe in him, but he did have a good year.

46. Jose Barajas - someone in-house liked him enough to promote him all the way to Frederick in his first season

47. Chad Thall - could be a solid LOOGY - going to the AFL

48. John Mariotti - good sinker baller, bad groin injury in 2008 - ouch! :eek:

49. Brandon Tripp - will the real Brandon please stand up? I think we saw him this year.

50. Nathan Nery - great run to close the season - BA gave him props in their Organizational Review.

Some other names that I will be watching next year, in no particular order:

Ronnie Welty-OF, Jim Hoey-RP (actually should have been in the list above), Patrick Kantakevich-RP, Brian Parker-RP, Rodolfo Cardona-SS, Corey Thomas-3B, Sam Taveras-SP, Luis Ramirez-OF, Wally Crancer-OF/C, Kenny Moreland-SP and I guess Dashenko Ricardo-C who was supposed to be a sleeper in 2008.

Edited by rhall

We are all putting Erbe too high on these lists IMO. He's generally going 5 or 6. However, I think that Reimold, Snyder and Hernandez should all be above him for now. It's also debatable whether Bergesen or Montanez should be ahead of him.

I don't want to over state this, but until he shows some consistency I think he better fits at about 8, not 5 or 6. He could shoot up the list next year, but he hasn't earned it yet. I'm just sayin...

We are all putting Erbe too high on these lists IMO. He's generally going 5 or 6. However, I think that Reimold, Snyder and Hernandez should all be above him for now. It's also debatable whether Bergesen or Montanez should be ahead of him.

I don't want to over state this, but until he shows some consistency I think he better fits at about 8, not 5 or 6. He could shoot up the list next year, but he hasn't earned it yet. I'm just sayin...

I disagree. Last season Erbe was ranked #5 here at the OH, and #10 at BA. This season he performed much better than last year while still being one of the younger pitchers in the league and he still has the same upside. Many of the BA chats this summer refered to Erbe as one of the best O's prospects and one of the writers over there flat-out said that he likes Erbe better than Arrieta. He admitted that he's probably in the minority in that opinion, and I don't think anyone here at the OH is saying they like Erbe above Arrieta, but it goes to show that Erbe is still highly thought of and it's not out of the question to place him 5th or 6th in our rankings. You'll see that I agree with you in putting Reimold above Erbe and at one time I had Snyder above him, before Erbe starting climbing up my rankings. Hernandez I don't agree on, since there are just as many questions surrounding his future (starter or reliever), Erbe is younger and has the higher upside, too.

If you disagree, that's fine, though. That's what these prospect rankings are for... to state your opinion on the players.

Ok, so you agree that Reimold is higher but not Snyder or Hernandez. For the record, Snyder is also very young and played in the same league. Obviously they played different positions, but I'd say that Snyder played better. Hernandez isn't exactly an old guy either.

I do understand that a young potential SP is more valuable than a young potential 1b with average power (for now) and a tweener SP/RP. I'd note that a lot of people already think Erbe is a tweener just like Hernandez.

I just put a lot of stock into what these guys actually do on the field and I think the Orioles should too. I don't want to be fooled by another toolsy player who's not actually producing.

I will give you guys one little thing to discuss. There is one player on these lists that most of you will be upset at where he ends up falling on our list. He'll be this year's Hernandez or Fiorentino. The guy everyone thinks is a top ten guy and we have him a bit lower.

By the way, the first four on the list for me are no-brainers (although you can probably make a case to move anyone from 2 through 4), the real discussion will be from 5 on down...

Edited by Tony-OH

I will give you guys one little thing to discuss. There is one player on these lists that most of you will be upset at where he ends up falling on our list. He'll be this year's Hernandez or Fiorentino. The guy everyone thinks is a top ten guy and we have him a bit lower.

Intrusting. If it's Snyder, I'll respectfully disagree. It it's Rowell, I'll respectfully agee.

Intrusting. If it's Snyder, I'll respectfully disagree. It it's Rowell, I'll respectfully agee.

If it's Reimold, that'll be interesting but believable based on your (Tony's) posts earlier in the season.

Edited by LookinUp

1. Matt Wieters

2. Brian Matusz

3. Chris Tillman

4. Jake Arrietta

5. Nolan Reimold

6. Brandon Erbe

7. Brandon Snyder

8. David Hernandez

9. Brad Bergesen

10. Bill Rowell

11. Zach Britton

12. Troy Patton

13. Chorye Spoone

14. Lou Montanez (Assuming he doesn't exceed 130 AB's)

15. Jason Berken

16. Tyler Henson

17. L.J. Hoes

18. Bobby Bundy

19. Ryan Adams

20. Kam Mickolio

21. Greg Miclat

22. Luis Noel

23. Xavier Avery

24. Kyle Hudson

25. Garabez Rosa

26. Tony Butler